[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Names are for the Weak

Another suggestion: sperm banks and egg donations. You can buy sperm from traders and inject it into lesbians or women without lovers. However, you would not know what possible traits the sperm could give the child. Perhaps a tech could later be made to analyze the sperm and see what possible traits it would give the child. Also, instead of just making women lose the ability to have children at age 45, make menopause an age-related thing that can affect women like artery blockages or hearing loss. You can either buy anonymous eggs from traders or surgically extract them from fertile women in your colony. Then, you can implant eggs into women in menopause, removing the menopause trait for a quadrum. However, and this may be a little tricky to code, the mother bearing the child in this way will not pass on her traits to the child, but rather the original donor of the egg.

Thirite

Gene sampling is already planned, such that you could take DNA from a pawn of either sex and give it to a woman to make her pregnant. I don't plan to have more complex mechanics than that- a gene sample will be a gene sample. It will also be usable in a growth vat which can clone a pawn (one sample) or have an arbitrary number of biological parents that DNA was acquired from.

SpaceDorf

For menopause and genitals the mod you are looking for is fluffies "birds and bees" .. no known incompability so far .. also includes quality based modifiers for lovin' :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dragoon

Quote from: LiteEmUp on August 08, 2017, 02:36:41 PM
my only pet peeve so far:

• seeing those 10-16 on army raids, especially 13 yr old raid leaders..  i can understand child soldiers, but as an adult seeing us beind led by a kid seems weird.. maybe age limit on when they can serve in a raid??

I disagree. I think it is a good thing. I feel like on worlds like these, you may children who have seen more war than these new recruits. And would be sent in to lead these groups. Children on rimworlds aren't like the kids we have in the cities here. They are thrusted into the adult world. Given the circumstances, I would think many of them would rise to be capable leaders. As the group they come from would not see them as children to be protected, but just workers or soldiers, band members, etc. That happens to be young if they can do the job no one will care.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

SpaceDorf

I disagree halfways .. a minimum adult age should be there .. lower for tribals than for industrials,
Every culture has it's rituals for passing into adulthood .. and the age where it happens changes alot with culture and living standars .. a culture with more ressources is able to afford a longer childhood than those that need every hand on the field.
( growing crops .. not battle field )

pirates i am not sure about .. normally that is not something you are born as .. pirates and bandits always were a sign for outcasts and extreme poverty ..

So to me it feels allright if twelve and thirteen year old "adults" join a tribal raid ..
while the same age feels weird for the industrials and pirates ( pirates may even have other uses for children that age )
there adults should mean being fully grown and having finished learning a trade, 16-19 at least..
or being able to stand on their own in a pirate society ..

My line of weird truly gets crossed when there are single digit raiders .. three to nine .. I think even in the height of the dark ages this was to young to be drafted into an army.

Having Children come along with Caravans or Visitors is another matter again .. there the family and teaching aspects apply again.

Dragoon

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 10, 2017, 12:21:33 PM
-snip-

I agree I think 10 should be the minimum age for a raider, and 13 or 14 minimum age of raid leaders. And 16+ being the traders in a caravan.

I don't know what you are meaning about "being able to stand on their own in a pirate society", I feel as though pirates would not hesitate to use 10-year-olds. They might not have a good use for them. Or may not want to risk them messing things up. To your point of "pirates and bandits always were a sign for outcasts and extreme poverty" if you are farming a little bit for whatever reason or are sorting things, counting bullets, loading ammo, etc. You would not want some amateur messing it up as that could get you killed. Or an outcast would view thigns differently than standard.

And I was saying that pirates do have families, they could be born into piracy. I didn't glorify it, being born and being viewed as another mouth to feed. You can be a rich criminal (even if none of your money is clean) that is how you get crime families, and those on the lower end of the families. Your child would be viewed as expendable, and it's not like you're going to go to the officials or say no to the top. You don't have a choice they will kill you and then take your child. which I believe would greatly increase the chance of them being young.
And being in charge of an attack group does not mean you have any standing, small team leaders, or even big team leaders might only be viewed as such. Nothing but a decent tool or weapon. One that the others listen too.
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Dragoon

Also, I wanted to say this mod does not work with the star wars mod and yes vehicles I am not sure why, as all I get is that they are incompatible.

LiteEmUp

Quote from: Dragoon on August 10, 2017, 01:21:49 PM
Also, I wanted to say this mod does not work with the star wars mod and yes vehicles I am not sure why, as all I get is that they are incompatible.
which part of the star wards mod?? the factions, lightsabers or force??? i use both lightsabers and force mods and so far no problems, cant say about the factions since im not using it.. i'm reading the comments on the workshop page and something caught my attention to wait for that mod get "updated" before adding to my list...

also another pet peeve: why do babies care about being "joy-deprived" or how "cool the hospital is"... they are babies, so there basic needs should be just hungry and when parents are nearby, and less emotions about the looks of their surroundings lol

Tenshi~Akari

I mentioned a while back in passing that I had some issues with the babies cry not playing after a while in-game. I think I found a fix for that on my end.

Since the original sound files are currently set in .wav format, for whatever reason the game doesn't like to replay .wav files at all, therefore I get the times where the babies are "crying" but no sound plays after the first set of initial cries on the loaded save. Half of the time I never notice an unhappy baby until I see the exclamation mark in passing while checking around the map, or a colonist finally decides to feed the kiddo.

What I did that seems to fix it was reconvert the .wav files back to .ogg & added "<sustainLoop>False</sustainLoop>" to the subSounds of the baby sound defs to avoid the neverending loops that were happening prior to the file conversions from earlier versions. So far, it's been working as expected, even after long periods of gameplay.  ;)

Another thing I am noticing now... I haven't had any of my mothers feed their babies yet. Then again, I'm also running WM Smarter Food Selection in my mod order, so I'm not sure how much a difference that makes. Had to come up with a food policy strictly for infants to keep colonists from force-feeding them lavish meals they physically shouldn't even be able to consume at that stage in life. I'm wondering... would there be some sort of food category/classification for feeding that would be easy to implement via a food policy from that mod? At least so that breastfeeding would be top priority over other foods on the map?

Names are for the Weak

Quote from: Tenshi~Akari on August 10, 2017, 10:08:09 PM
I mentioned a while back in passing that I had some issues with the babies cry not playing after a while in-game. I think I found a fix for that on my end.

Since the original sound files are currently set in .wav format, for whatever reason the game doesn't like to replay .wav files at all, therefore I get the times where the babies are "crying" but no sound plays after the first set of initial cries on the loaded save. Half of the time I never notice an unhappy baby until I see the exclamation mark in passing while checking around the map, or a colonist finally decides to feed the kiddo.

What I did that seems to fix it was reconvert the .wav files back to .ogg & added "<sustainLoop>False</sustainLoop>" to the subSounds of the baby sound defs to avoid the neverending loops that were happening prior to the file conversions from earlier versions. So far, it's been working as expected, even after long periods of gameplay.  ;)

I've noticed this problem too. How do you convert .wav files into .ogg files? And where exactly should I put "<sustainLoop>False</sustainLoop>" in the files? Will anywhere in lines 8-34 do?

Tenshi~Akari

^^ Personally, I used Audacity to export the data to .ogg files. But I'm sure there are some free online converters that will do just the same if needed be.

This is what that specific def edit looks like at the moment:

<SoundDef>
<defName>Pawn_BabyCry</defName>
<eventNames />

<context>MapOnly</context>

<subSounds>

<li>

<grains>

<li Class="AudioGrain_Clip">

<clipPath>Baby/Cry1</clipPath>

</li>

<clipPath>Baby/Cry2</clipPath>

</li>

<clipPath>Baby/Cry3</clipPath>

</li>

</grains>
<volumeRange>

<min>15</min>
<max>20</max>

</volumeRange>
<pitchRange>

<min>0.9</min>

<max>1.2</max>

</pitchRange>
<distRange>

<min>0</min>
<max>50</max>

</distRange>
<sustainLoop>False</sustainLoop>
</li>

</subSounds>
</SoundDef>

hawkinator

Quote from: Names are for the Weak on August 11, 2017, 12:55:00 AM

I've noticed this problem too. How do you convert .wav files into .ogg files? And where exactly should I put "<sustainLoop>False</sustainLoop>" in the files? Will anywhere in lines 8-34 do?

VLC will do this for you as well. (among many other useful things)

Names are for the Weak

And once I convert the files, do I put them in the same place as the old sound files?

jpnm92

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Dragoon on August 10, 2017, 01:20:50 PM

I don't know what you are meaning about "being able to stand on their own in a pirate society", I feel as though pirates would not hesitate to use 10-year-olds.
--
And being in charge of an attack group does not mean you have any standing, small team leaders, or even big team leaders might only be viewed as such. Nothing but a decent tool or weapon. One that the others listen too.

The part of your post explains what I meant with being able to stand their on their own .. in my mind I compared it a bit to prison society. ( or any other martial society  )
If you are able to show your worth and don't fuckup you go on raids .. else you stay at home .. Bitch .