Does resettlement restart the difficulty?

Started by codyo, January 02, 2017, 08:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyo

If I decide that my colony is about to be obliterated or fall apart by increasing hordes of enemies, can I expect the difficulty to restart by resettlement? Basically putting the Storyteller at beginning difficulty again.

Or has anybody who tried just met a bigger mob of raiders again?

DeathWeasel

I think the storyteller difficulty is going to be the same, but raid sizes are in part determined by colony wealth. If pick up what you can carry and settle somewhere else, you're likely going to be leave a bunch of stuff behind which will significantly reduce your wealth. It may be a good short term solution if raids are getting out of control and your colony is just not going the way you planned. Ultimately, though, once you've built back up you can expect raids of the same difficulty as before.

Canute

You can change the storyteller and difficulty anytime at the option, middle row near the bottom.

codyo

Quote from: Canute on January 03, 2017, 07:21:56 AM
You can change the storyteller and difficulty anytime at the option, middle row near the bottom.

That is not what the question was. It's about how at the beginning of the game you have small raids, and later on you have larger raids, and more annoying events. If you resettle elsewhere (probably with very little), will the story stay on the same level of difficulty as it was, or start over?
Not the literal difficulty mind you... I mean the amount of challenge the storyteller builds up.

Thanks DeathWeasel, the colony wealth thing makes sense.

carpediembr

Quote from: DeathWeasel on January 02, 2017, 09:18:46 PM
I think the storyteller difficulty is going to be the same, but raid sizes are in part determined by colony wealth. If pick up what you can carry and settle somewhere else, you're likely going to be leave a bunch of stuff behind which will significantly reduce your wealth. It may be a good short term solution if raids are getting out of control and your colony is just not going the way you planned. Ultimately, though, once you've built back up you can expect raids of the same difficulty as before.

2 colonies wont share same wealth then?

Wanderer_joins

You can see the wealth of each colony in the history tab, you'll have total wealth and wealth per map. The scale of the threat is based on each map. If you decide to form a caravan and settle elsewhere, raids will factor in the wealth (new map + your items) and the number of your colonists. or at least it appears so.

TimTumm

That's interesting, because I have seen streamers with empty maps (used for hunting, etc).  Their empty maps would get raided!