[A16] Several Puffins' RimDisorders.

Started by Several Puffins, January 03, 2017, 10:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Several Puffins

Rim Disorders
Mental illness for all!

Description

What RimWorld needs, I'm sure we all agree, is more misery, trauma, and poor mental health to add to our already vibrant, lively colonies! Colonists will develop, either randomly or due to some trigger or trauma, various mental health disorders. Poor mental health comes and goes in episodes for the afflicted, with episodes ranging in severity. These disorders can only be cured slowly, and with counselling.

New Illnesses!

- Depression: Triggered by random chance, extreme low mood, downer addiction or witnessing death. Depressed colonists are slower, unhappier, and have impaired cognitive function. Moderately depressed colonists are more likely to go on food binges. Extremely depressed colonists are a suicide risk if they pass the mental break threshold- this risk vanishes if they're arrested and confined for the duration of the episode. Suicidal mental breaks happen quickly, so it's best to stop them before it gets that far.

- Generalised Anxiety Disorder: Triggered by extreme low mood, any single large mood stressor, stimulant addiction or random chance. Anxious colonists will be worse at talking, more unhappy, and will have a higher mental break threshold and moderately impaired global work speed. Extremely anxious colonists may have panic attacks as mental breaks (and thanks to Psychology for first introducing the idea of panic attacks to RimWorld!).

- Cleanliness-OCD: Triggered by random chance, extreme sickness and exposure to rotting human corpses. Affected colonists will have a lowered global work speed through worries and rituals and will be unhappy in rooms that are not perfectly clean. Extreme cases may result in mental breaks to obsessively (but not efficiently) clean the home area.

- PTSD: Triggered occasionally when downed. Affected colonists have a higher mental break threshold and are somewhat more likely to get into social fights (though this does not mean they will- the maximum level is the same as for an Abrasive person). Moderate and Extreme cases will suffer from panic attacks when an enemy is near, and Extreme cases will suffer from panic attacks even outside of this situation.

New Work!

Counselling: Counselling appears as a bill on the individual with the illness, like surgery. A counsellor must be trained to a certain degree in medicine in order to perform the bill, but the magnitude of their success will be based on their social skill. Counselling can only be done on any one colonist once per day, and reduces both the present and the maximum severity of an illness. If it is counselled to the point where it is permanently controlled, it will be removed (but may recur if triggered)!   

Notes

I hope you all enjoy this, but note that this mod will only make things harder! Use for stories of disaster- your best scientist, locked in a dark room, gets depression and can't think through the problems any more. Your best soldier can't go back to the front line without having panic attacks! If you feel that you want disaster, but that the balance is wrong, the rates at which all diseases manifest, and the strength of counselling, can all be changed in the Options>Mod Options menu. If you like this, please check out my other less nasty mods!

Requires
- HugsLib.

Detours & Clashes
- There are no detoured functions in Rim Disorders, so compatibility should be very broad. I'm not currently aware of any issues with other mods.

Download
via Dropbox.

Installation
- Install HugsLib. .
- Unzip into your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate in the in-game mods menu and restart the game.

Bugs
- Counselled patients currently go to sleep whilst someone makes metalwork noises at them. My headcanon: 3X1st century counselling is mostly about hypnosis, strobe lights and chimes. I'm pretty sure I'm getting that image from Hannibal. I haven't found a way of doing this better without detours (which I don't want to use if I can avoid it, for compatibility reasons).

Future Plans

- Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Delusional Parasitosis, pure-OCD and more! Some will be counsellable, some will need to be medicated.
- Counselling to remove certain traits: chemical interest, psychopath, cannibal etc.
- Counselling to assist the mood of addicts in withdrawal.
- (Possibly) a separate bed type for counselling (though this might have compatibility issues with other mods- I'm looking into it!).

Thanks
Thanks to UnlimitedHugs and Fluffy for the wonders of HugsLib, and thanks to  Gracierocket for heaps of input.

Feedback

The way these issues are represented is a mixture of academic research, personal experience and conversations with people who have experience of the above conditions. To anyone with experience of any of these, or any other mental health conditions, I am happy to take feedback on how they (or should be)) are represented.

I am also very happy to take feedback on any bugs or balance issues in the mod.

Several Puffins

Several Puffins

skullywag

Can you shove a version tag in the title as per the other threads please. It helps with keeping things tidy.

*mumbles* comes in here messing up my nice clean forum.....*mumbles*
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Several Puffins

Ha! Apologies, god of the boards! Done.

alsoandanswer

Quote from: Several Puffins on January 03, 2017, 10:20:35 AM
Colonists will develop, either randomly or due to some tigger or trauma, various mental health disorders.

yeah, these tiggers are vicious

"If I quote some smart guy, then therefore I should be smart myself!" -alsoandanswer

Several Puffins

You don't know, man. You didn't see what that Tigger did to my pa.

Tammabanana

This is awesome. I'll definitely be downloading it for my next playthrough, and will feedback out the wazoo.

(Although... it is tempting... for reference... does it require a new save?)
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Lubricus

The idea for Counselling to remove cannibal trait makes no sense, why not add counselling (Brainwashing) to create cannibals so I can make my dream colony come true.

ArthoriusBalen

Great mod!! One question, the anxiety of this mod is compatible with the on from Psychology mod??

Adalah217

Only a few days after I already added the Psychology mod to my treasured save-game. You couldn't have come out with this sooner? :)

Can't wait to try this!

I noticed that a few of the folders are empty in the Defs, like WorkTypeDefs. Is that normal?

DariusWolfe

Can you please, please make this affect Pyromania and similar traits?

I like to play a relatively good-aligned game, but when I see a Pyro show up, my inner asshole raises a finger in the air and says "Uh, excuse me? Yeah, uh.. Fuck. No."

Several Puffins

Quote from: Tammabanana on January 03, 2017, 01:47:48 PM
This is awesome. I'll definitely be downloading it for my next playthrough, and will feedback out the wazoo.

(Although... it is tempting... for reference... does it require a new save?)

I don't believe you need a new save, no!

Quote from: Lubricus on January 03, 2017, 02:06:22 PM
The idea for Counselling to remove cannibal trait makes no sense, why not add counselling (Brainwashing) to create cannibals so I can make my dream colony come true.

What we need is an evil counsellor's mod. A Hannibal mod!

Quote from: ArthoriusBalen on January 03, 2017, 02:20:05 PM
Great mod!! One question, the anxiety of this mod is compatible with the on from Psychology mod??

I'm afraid I don't know. It probably isn't, but I think your best bet is putting this second in the mod list.

Several Puffins

Quote from: Adalah217 on January 03, 2017, 02:52:28 PM
Only a few days after I already added the Psychology mod to my treasured save-game. You couldn't have come out with this sooner? :)

Can't wait to try this!

I noticed that a few of the folders are empty in the Defs, like WorkTypeDefs. Is that normal?

Haha! I'll try to improve my psychic timing for next time! As regards the WorkTypeDefs- that's a hangover from adding a work type, ruining everything, and quickly deleting it. The folder isn't needed, though. I might try again later in order to make counselling its own work type.

Quote from: DariusWolfe on January 03, 2017, 05:11:46 PM
Can you please, please make this affect Pyromania and similar traits?

I like to play a relatively good-aligned game, but when I see a Pyro show up, my inner asshole raises a finger in the air and says "Uh, excuse me? Yeah, uh.. Fuck. No."

I have felt the same way ever since my first colony took in a pyro refugee. She nearly burned the place down twice. The soldiers chasing her? Two of them joined the colony and were great to have around the garden!

If and when I make traits counsellable I will certainly add Pyro to the list!

System.Linq

Quote from: Several Puffins on January 03, 2017, 06:25:45 PM
Quote from: ArthoriusBalen on January 03, 2017, 02:20:05 PM

I'm afraid I don't know. It probably isn't, but I think your best bet is putting this second in the mod list.
Anxiety from Psychology is not "incompatible" with this mod, but it will add both types of anxiety.