Z-Levels / Buildings should have a second floor

Started by lllMWNlll, January 14, 2017, 08:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lllMWNlll

...3rd floor, 4th floor, 5th floor, 6th floor, 7th floor, 8th floor... you get it...

If you build a base, you see it grows all sides... Separated bedrooms, separated workshops (if you don't put them all in one house ;D ), dinning room, hospital, prison, barn, strategically placed sanbags, turrets and tripmines and don't forget the great farm you need to have. IF you use mods then you have a guest room, bathroom and more things.

You realise you make a huge settlement almost at the edges of your map. I particullary find this inconvinient because the raids comes from the edges, no time of response...

So let's build taller buildings!

Let not's get this overpower though... The choosen material should dictate the height(?or weight?) of the building, for example:
The most used materials:
*Wood    - allows 2 stores buildings.
*Steel     - allows 3 stores buildings.
*Plasteel - allows 4 stores buildings.

There's a lot of things to think about, if a raid destroys below walls what happens above?
*"They fall..." with a lot of materials, colonists, animals.
How they get up these floors above?
* Elevators, stairs, ropes, startrek teleporter (ENGAGE),
Colonist could shot below targets through windows, embrasures.
* Vanilla game dosen't have windows or embrasures, but they can shot from flat top buldings. The most higher the "guard tower" more will be the minimum range that can be shooted due to angle.
And enemies from bellow can shot the colonist over this tower?
* Of course. Same logic has before but from the inverse. I think they should be prioritized though.

It would be great! There's my suggestion.

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - I've edited the title of this thread to (hopefully) make it easier to find via the search function.

ChaosOverlord

I feel like this is just an attempt for people to avoid danger by compacting bases into a tight little area so it's easier to defend. Then you make a mistake and a building blows up and everyone inside dies and you lose everything and just reload your game? Nah.

Guaranteed reward but no risk unless it all gets destroyed in an instant.

I disagree.

Barazen

Personally i like the idea, maybe make each floor take longer to build on? Have certain pawns refuse to go upstairs if they can see the outside (afraid of hieghts) maybe even add the risk of the floor collapsing if they are damaged (from bzzt, raids, etc)

Z levels have been suggested since i started lurking on these forums late last year and if i remember right tynan has been mulling on it (but i think, leaning towards no?)
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

Goldenpotatoes

Considering Tynan said he'd sooner implement functional multiplayer before he did z-levels, I'd say the dreams of space dwarfs is nothing more than a distant concept, never to be fulfilled.

Barazen

Oh wow really? So squats got eaten, rim dwarves never happening... space just hates the short!

baronjutter

When toady implemented z levels in DF he had to practically redo the game,  it's a huge change.  I'd love to see it, but it's probably never coming.

PiggyBacon

While multi-floor buildings would be nice they don't belong in RimWorld. Late game already is based around tower defence I would rather not see it be a literal tower defence.

Barazen

Ya'll keep thinking war while im sitting here thinking apartments. Or churches with an actual Belltower... plenty of non combat related reasons to yse it for, but i will cede to the point of how much work it would be.

1HARDCOR1

Your base takes already whole map and you want to expand it or you want to shoot your enemies from walls like in mediaval castles?
Lets add multiple floors !!!
pros:
-create watch towers from wich you can kill your enemies better
-cool basements to store food

sorry for my: english, photoshop skills and this is my first suggestion so if im doing something wrong just say

Moderator edit (Calahan) - @ 1HARDCOR1 - Your suggestion gets asked for so often that I have merged your thread with the most recent suggestion thread for this. There's no point having yet another separate thread suggesting this.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Lightzy

yeah it's the most requested feature so, welcome

Eisbar

Quote from: Lightzy on February 03, 2017, 07:33:23 AM
yeah it's the most requested feature so, welcome
Came here with a great idea, add floors  (mainly to go deeper and mine)!!! Did a quick search. Find this. FeelsBadMan

Barazen

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on January 24, 2017, 05:30:11 PM
Considering Tynan said he'd sooner implement functional multiplayer before he did z-levels, I'd say the dreams of space dwarfs is nothing more than a distant concept, never to be fulfilled.

I have nothing to do with this .. and I don't think Z-Levels would help the game.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

A Friend

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 02, 2017, 07:27:09 PM
I don't think Z-Levels would help the game.

Z-Levels (if done correctly) would very much help the game in many aspects even if it's just 5-10 levels. Mostly by allowing more complex raids and defenses. I'm curious to know why you think it wouldn't be helpful. (Outside of the monstrous effort required.)
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

SpaceDorf

I love DF for its absurd complexity.
It's the most fucked up Antfarm you will ever have.
And Z-Levels are a must for Dwarves digging to deep, but even with the much simpler UI and less graphics it is still a burden on the CPU.
And even with all the Tools and Visualizers there are for DF it is still very easy to lose the oversight over everything that is happening .. and it has Draw Bridges.

I love Rimworld for its simplicity and that it achievs to be a "not-like" Dwarf Fortress Game. There are many things that still need to be done, Z-Levels are not one of them.
Every game that had some kind of z-levels had a hard time with the UI.
The early X-Com Games ( havent played the last ones ) Homeworld, which had horrible controls in my oppinion and others.
Add the RTS Pace of Rimworld to this and you get a recipe for terrible confusion.

I am not opposed to add some more Layers to the game. A visible height map,
Tunnels, Cellars, Underground Pipes, an Air Layer for flyers and for climbing over walls and similiar stuff.

Terrain Transformation like Populous so you can change the height level and dig for ressources.

But no real Z-Levels that make me switch between views and confuse the shit out of players.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.