Z-Levels / Buildings should have a second floor

Started by lllMWNlll, January 14, 2017, 08:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raccoon

actually you coud add "Z-Levels" -1 with the Cavebiome its more or less just a "port"

SpaceDorf

True. But it would be a different map then.
Not the same Map as suggested.

With Caravans this could be achievable
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Granitecosmos

Quote from: Barazen on January 24, 2017, 06:51:50 PM
Oh wow really? So squats got eaten, rim dwarves never happening... space just hates the short!

Tell that to the gravity dwarves on high-G planets, I dare you!

Quote from: A Friend on March 03, 2017, 06:44:48 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 02, 2017, 07:27:09 PM
I don't think Z-Levels would help the game.

Z-Levels (if done correctly) would very much help the game in many aspects even if it's just 5-10 levels. Mostly by allowing more complex raids and defenses. I'm curious to know why you think it wouldn't be helpful. (Outside of the monstrous effort required.)

Proper Z-levels would increase CPU load by <MapSize>*<Z-number>. People already complain about abandoned colonies hogging CPU, what do you think would happen if we introduced 10 Z-levels? And THEN let's take into consideration multi-colonies. Everyone'd have to borrow NASA's supercomputers just to run this thing with a reasonable FPS.

The only possible way to introduce a Z-level is by a buildable "Mineshaft" that basically connects to a cave biome or something, effectively simulating a second colony map.

grrizo

I like it. But yes, it's horribly complex.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Patrick

Hello!
So I Want To See in RimWorld Is That Why Not Add A Second Floor Feature 3rd,4th,Until Im(Your) Satisfied.....   :3

Calahan

@ Patrick ^ - Your suggestion has been made countless times before (z-levels), so I have merged your thread with a currently existing one.

Please can you use the search function to check if a suggestion has already been made, and if so add your thoughts to that discussion (if you wish), before creating a new thread for it. Thank you.

mumblemumble

Z-levels would add a LOT potentially, I mean a LOT, but it would also

1: astronomically raise the processing load (I could no longer run rimworld I'm sure, less it used some glitterworld level optimizations)
2: take tons of times, and LOTS of bugs to get done correctly with all the AI and crap.

I would love it, but realize its hard.

Also, the old xcom is much better with openxcom : the mods for it are cool too, and the tactics system is better than any other game I've seen. certainly makes xcom enemy unknown look childishly simple in mechanics.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Sable Phoenix

Is it just me, or is there anyone else who's wanted to delve deep (and wake the nameless fear), hollowing out complexes down into the earth?  Wishing that perhaps building actual mines and finding veins of valuable material was a possibility, rather than just chipping at the sides of mountains and salvaging dilapidated structures?  How about building structures with multiple storeys?  And wouldn't constructing drawbridge traps and pitfalls for defense and security be cool?

I'd really like to see a world that allowed movement and construction along the Z-axis. Is the lack of multiple elevations an engine restriction, or just a design decision?

Calahan

@ Sable Phoenix - Z-levels is one of the most frequently made suggestions, and there are countless suggestion threads on it already. Another thread is not needed so I have merged yours with an existing one.

Can you please use the search function in future to check if an idea has already been suggested before creating a new suggestion thread. Thank you.

MisterMcMoist

I'm wondering if it's a decent idea for levels to be introduced to structures players' buildings and mountains? Just wondering on what the pros and cons on that would be. Would be interesting to see tower designs for example and to help the game evolve a little bit more.

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - I have merged your thread with an existing one for this suggestions. Like JimmyAgnt007 says below, can you please use the search function in future to check if a suggestion has already been made before creating a new thread for it. Especially for a suggestion that is /very/ likely to have been made already, such as z-levels.

JimmyAgnt007

NO

z-levels are a thing thats talked about and asked for all the time.  its on the list.  please search before posting.

MisterMcMoist

I apologise. I searched up "levels" beforehand and most came up with skills/tech. And the ones that did say Z-level, I didn't know what that meant. Sorry.  :)

SpaceDorf

It is taken from 3d Kartesian Coordinates. Any 3d Engine uses the x,y,z axis.
( considering some oppinions on gamers, this must be the true axis of evil )

funny enough in most 3d programs y is used to describe up and down movement, because it is the height axis of the monitor and z describes the plane going "into" the picture. ( 1920x ; 1080y; 0z )

::) .. now if I was to suggest Y-Levels .. how long would it take until some forumites found out where I lived

CannibarRechter

And... most ironically... in Rimworld Vector3d space, with the coordinate system x,y,z: y is the one that faces the camera. So guess what, we already have Z. That's pretty funny.

On the topic, I think making Rimworld leap to 'real' Z would be a challenge. If I'm understanding how the internal engine works properly, y (what you call 'z') is used by the engine to get the layering right. So y ('z') is already used also.

As a side note, and regarding the recent moderation events, there used to be a standard around here that only the mods moderate. I personally think that's for the best.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

SpaceDorf

Quote from: CannibarRechter on October 10, 2017, 11:40:29 AM
On the topic, I think making Rimworld leap to 'real' Z would be a challenge. If I'm understanding how the internal engine works properly, y (what you call 'z') is used by the engine to get the layering right. So y ('z') is already used also.

Sprites and Vectors, how could I forget that   :o
Based on this we have many many Y-Levels..

Do you think it's to soon to make a joke about the Mod that add's tons of Z's to Rimworld ?
Considering how often some Ideas rise again, I think it's funny  ;D