Community Animal Pack

Started by Hydromancerx, February 13, 2017, 09:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekksu

Quote from: Hydromancerx on February 16, 2017, 06:05:52 PM
@Ekksu

Do you guys have a chart of all the animals you will be working on and who will be doing what? I think such a list would be helpful.

Also what about doubles? Such as your lion vs ZW Animals' lion. Which one will be used?

There would also be other issues with the CK Animals mod if they allows use. Such as the Panda with CP Beasties and the Tiger and Snow Leopard with ZW Animals.

I suspect if CK Animals is not going to play along you guys can just make your own Junglefowl, Peafowl and Okapi.

I also had a cool advanced idea. Perhaps there could be a "domesticate" feature added later. Such as ...

Timber Wolf -> Husky

Auroch -> Cow

Wild Boar -> Pig

Mulfon -> Sheep

Ibex -> Goat

Vicuña -> Alpaca

Guanaco -> Llama

Junglefowl -> Chicken

African Wild Cat -> Cat

We have a chart for Animals+, and I'm working on setting one up for the group right now! CK Animals hasn't been updated for a16 and I haven't been able to get in contact with the creator, so I'm not sure how many of those animals will be imported unless they're okay with us continuing their work. As for the doubles, I figure we're probably just gonna sit down and decide which would work better? I'm gonna be re-doing a bunch of textures for Taiga Creatures and other miscellaneous animals to make them fit in better with vanilla, so that might end up being what happens.

And that sounds pretty cool! I'm really not sure how it would translate well into the game, though, because I'm a garbage coder?? I managed to crash the game making an xml animal file so I'm not sure i wanna touch it. I can definitely tell you we have some really cool things that we're planning right now that if we can get them to work is gonna be something brand new for an animal mod ;9

Hydromancerx

Cool please post or send me the link!

Also any news with Legacy Ark? They have some really good animals. They also seem to be very well organized.

Flimflamshabam

Are there any mods you guys are looking at that tweak the vanilla animals? Like add more animals that can be milked, I believe people Milk alpacas, and I know people milk Goats so the Ibex could be tweaked to produce milk. Mostly adding milkable animals is what I'm looking for, kinda want some variety besides muffalo or cows+alpaca's to have livestock that produce milk and wool.

Some tweakery to the Boomrats/Boomalopes would be great too, specifically some way to "disarm" them so they can be slaughtered or euthanized without exploding.

Hydromancerx

Found an old animal mod with some other animals like a snail, crocodile, walrus, etc.

Biodiversity [A9]
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9532.0

Ekksu

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on February 17, 2017, 12:57:29 AM
Are there any mods you guys are looking at that tweak the vanilla animals? Like add more animals that can be milked, I believe people Milk alpacas, and I know people milk Goats so the Ibex could be tweaked to produce milk. Mostly adding milkable animals is what I'm looking for, kinda want some variety besides muffalo or cows+alpaca's to have livestock that produce milk and wool.

Some tweakery to the Boomrats/Boomalopes would be great too, specifically some way to "disarm" them so they can be slaughtered or euthanized without exploding.

We do have some animals we're planning on adding that are milkable! The first on the list are domestic goats, because I'm kinda surprised they're not in-game yet. As of right now we're trying not to tweak too many vanilla animals to keep compatibility with mods that edit those, but some of the new ones will do that! And any other mods that make more animals milkable should probably work just fine, too.

Flimflamshabam

I hope so, mod compatability in Rimworld is kinda weird from what I'm used to from other games. Even though nothing is strictly incompatible between two mods, one usually trumps the other and disables the features of the unfortunate mod. For instance because your expanded pack animal mod touches boomalopes its disabling the Neutromine milking mod I grabbed for them, I'll need to try and merge those, hopefully without setting my pc on fire (i'm notoriously bad at messing with mods even if its just tweaking settings)

Ekksu

The current plan is to not touch any of the existing animals if we can help it. This whole thing is for compatibilities sake, aha, so hopefully we can manage that!

Tammabanana

Hi, folks,

There's some enthusiasm in another thread for merging meat types - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30632.msg313112#msg313112 and downwards - in case you find that relevant. It should be do-able just using the <useMeatFrom> tag that Bird Meat uses.

In other news, I really like this idea, and would like to join the team. My primary relevant skill is playtesting with some understanding of what's possible in the XML, but I've also got a few animals of my own in here somewhere - a version of the MaMuffalo (art by mrofa I think?), and a Pygmy Muffalo (art by Spoonshortage) that I think I'm done with but haven't released yet. (I haven't worked on my crazy mutating monster mushroom with glowy spores for a while, but am more likely to do so given motivation.)

I dropped Coercion and Kaptain_Kavern a note in their GitHub before I updated their Plants and Animals pack, to let them know I was doing it and to yell at me if they didn't want me to, but didn't get a response. They're radio-silent at the moment. Kap is on record as being a fan of community projects, but I think the art is Coercion's.

GreyFluffs was happy to have their art as a community project - see https://github.com/Tammabanana/Community-Fantasy-Animals that I have done nearly nothing with besides provide a home - I've also not heard anything from Grey recently, but I presume it would be acceptable to merge one inactive community project into another, active one.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Hydromancerx

I cannot speak for the people actually putting this together but perhaps the animal pack should only have real animals and a separate fantasy animal pack should be made for all the made up mythical ones.

Birdy

Following this. :D I love animals in my games.

marvin__

Quote from: Ekksu on February 16, 2017, 04:19:29 PM
Yeah man, no problem!! Sorry if that came off as kinda rude - I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday because of some unrelated stuff.

But! @marvin__ That's pretty simple to do, if I'm remembering correctly, so I can definitely bring it up with everyone! I think it'd be cool to get wool from mammoths and wooly rhinos too - especially since nothing else really lives in ice sheets.

(I also may or may not be considering some dinos bc let's be real, dinos are pretty badass)

Alright, I put in woolyhorsewool myself. Hope you don't mind

Thirite

@Hydromancerx
I think we're all just following the base game style for animals; ie: animals that actually exist or theoretically could exist through scifi gene splicing. Lore-wise, my Jackalope was basically a typical rabbit that someone gene-spliced with deer DNA to grow antlers- for laughs. Life imitating art, but after the "genetic revolution". In this way it's totally possible to have fantasy creatures as long as they make some sort of sense.

Flimflamshabam

I mean, its easy to go too far with "genetically engineered" to explain away new creatures, you could make a unicorn and say you spliced a horse and a narwhal, but some scifi-y animals like for instance the vanilla megasloth make reasonable sense. For me I'd like to see more alien creatures though more unique ones than say someone adding in existing scifi creatures from other games/movies etc.

Tammabanana

Quote from: Thirite on February 21, 2017, 07:28:49 PM
@Hydromancerx
I think we're all just following the base game style for animals; ie: animals that actually exist or theoretically could exist through scifi gene splicing.

Since it's set on an alien planet, "native alien life" is also a possible lore explanation, assuming it's done in a way that makes sense.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

A Friend

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on February 22, 2017, 02:22:10 AMFor me I'd like to see more alien creatures though more unique ones than say someone adding in existing scifi creatures from other games/movies etc.

Hello!
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"