[A11] Alpha Muffalo (1.8)

Started by Kirid, April 14, 2014, 09:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirid

Quote from: Dr. Z on August 15, 2014, 07:02:20 PM
No good idea, I think the Alphas would get really pissed over the surffalos. I imagine it like an adult sitting next to a bunch of teenies in the bus.
I'm not sure what this means...

I've been thinking about it. Maybe also changing the muffalo spawning to include small herds in the desert. I doubt spawning them in the forest would make much sense. I wonder if anyone objects to having muffalo in the desert. ( I haven't played using that biome yet)
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Bog

Quote from: Kirid on August 15, 2014, 07:20:06 PM
I've been thinking about it. Maybe also changing the muffalo spawning to include small herds in the desert. I doubt spawning them in the forest would make much sense. I wonder if anyone objects to having muffalo in the desert. ( I haven't played using that biome yet)
Well in the desert it's a lot harder to find food. You don't get much to hunt and 95+% of the ground isn't usable for growing things.

Having too many muffalos would throw that interesting game mechanic off by quite a bit. I'd be fine with adding very uncommon alpha muffalos, and you could possibly lower the commonality of the other animals a little bit to compensate, but personally I wouldn't like to see whole herds show up.

Of course you could always add them, and then if people don't like them in the desert they can just turn the mod off when starting a desert match.

-----

Another option I thought of is to add a new event where a random alpha muffalo shows up. You could have it say something interesting along the lines of: "It seems a inquisitive and adventurous alpha muffalo has arrived in your region after a long trek."

Then you could make that event happen in any biome, as it'd explain why they'd show up occasionally.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Kirid

Quote from: Bog on August 15, 2014, 08:25:15 PM
Another option I thought of is to add a new event where a random alpha muffalo shows up. You could have it say something interesting along the lines of: "It seems a inquisitive and adventurous alpha muffalo has arrived in your region after a long trek."
I love this idea! I've never made an event before but its a great solution. Going to start working on it.

Edit: Actually.. not sure how. I think I'll have to write a new IncidentDef.xml, where events are defined. But I think that means I also have to write a new dll file for the <workerClass>IncidentWorker. I'm not at home so my modding ability it limited. I probably won't get back for at least a week, but I intend to do this and make some new mods once I do return.

Bog

Quote from: Kirid on August 15, 2014, 11:48:09 PM
Quote from: Bog on August 15, 2014, 08:25:15 PM
I love this idea! I've never made an event before but its a great solution. Going to start working on it.

Edit: Actually.. not sure how. I think I'll have to write a new IncidentDef.xml, where events are defined. But I think that means I also have to write a new dll file for the <workerClass>IncidentWorker. I'm not at home so my modding ability it limited. I probably won't get back for at least a week, but I intend to do this and make some new mods once I do return.
Cool. I think Haplo made at least one custom event on his miscellaneous mod found here. Maybe you could look to see how he did it and what you need, or even ask him how.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Dr. Z

Quote from: Kirid on August 15, 2014, 07:20:06 PM
Quote from: Dr. Z on August 15, 2014, 07:02:20 PM
No good idea, I think the Alphas would get really pissed over the surffalos. I imagine it like an adult sitting next to a bunch of teenies in the bus.
I'm not sure what this means...

It was related to another Mod. I like the idea of having this event in different biomes, and I also agree that muffalo herds in the desert wouldn't make much sense.
Prasie the Squirrel!

skullywag

Ive updated this to Alpha 7...Hope you dont mind.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Kirid

No prob, thank you. I'm uncertain about several mods since alot has changed. I'll fix the main post and repost that with it.

daz84uk

My thanks to both you and  skullywag. i love playing with this mod.

skullywag

I mayhave made a mistake and forgot to upload the biome defs, so nothing will spawn, illadd it now and reupload to this post.

Edit - done!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Kirid

Quote from: skullywag on October 10, 2014, 07:13:47 AM
I mayhave made a mistake and forgot to upload the biome defs, so nothing will spawn, illadd it now and reupload to this post.
Edit - done!
Updated. Heh, hopefully it works now? I haven't done any testing on it.

skullywag

should work now, they spawn about the same rate as turtles do (0.3).

Kirid

Updated for Alpha 8. Should be working fine, getting no errors. I really have no idea for the spawning, they should be rare as usual, and they now have the same temp restrictions as regular Muffalo. If you notice anything unbalanced please let me know.

Dr. Z

Hey, I just looked through your code to find out in which biomes and to wich temratures it spawns but I didn't find anything.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Kirid

My Bad..So sorry. It's been reuploaded. I didn't add the Biome xml, which seems to control all the animals spawning now.
I'm worried this won't work with other animal mods because I had to redefine each biome with the Alphalos in it, but that seems to be the way it's done now.

Ironvos

Hah that looks awesome.
And the art seems to fit seamlessly with the game, going to be adding this to my games now, great work :)