[A17] DinoRim: Add Dinosaurs!

Started by WalkingProblem, February 17, 2017, 11:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Minnigin on April 08, 2017, 08:06:24 PM
ya the bigger sprites are the wonkier they become, I once made trees to scale with pawns and it looked like shit...

the current one in the screenshot is more or less scaled to the trees, instead of the pawn. But i starting to feel okay with it... especially given the fact that they are supposed to be so huge even compared to an elephant.... 

So it could be case where I will limit the sauropods appearance to passing by events, like thrumbos (just more common). Pondering.

SpaceDorf

you could also start with the small one's and work your way up to the big ones,
to develop a feeling for how "right" the size feels when they get bigger.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dragoon

Holy S***!

Me want! THIS IS FRACKEN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw when I went to the page to see the develop meant I saw nothing so hows it going?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Dragoon on April 17, 2017, 02:32:44 PM
Holy S***!

Me want! THIS IS FRACKEN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw when I went to the page to see the develop meant I saw nothing so hows it going?

So far, I have already completed the xml coding for the body parts for each genus of the dinosaurs, as well as setting up the templates for the attacks. Prior to that, I had already created all the artworks for the 1st release.

So now I'm working on the xml coding of the individual dinosaurs species.

So what's up now is that, while I'm on that, I'm pondering whether to rework the artworks (which is practically speaking, of low priority), to launch with the complete set of dinosaurs (which would mean I need to create artworks for the rest of the species that I have no created), I will need to create new artwork for dinosaur skeletons/remains and also create the dinosaurs' sound effects/calls.

So there is still quite a bit of work before there is a proper release. Unless I do an early release with no sound, limited number of dinosaurs (which will be just the shortlisted for the 1st release) and other deficiencies....

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Walking Problem on February 17, 2017, 11:51:20 PM
Do leave any suggestions, requests and comments below!

Pterodactylus?

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

WalkingProblem

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 27, 2017, 07:20:24 PM

Pterodactylus?

But they will not really "fly" - you think its okay to have them walking everywhere?

=\

Hungry Colonist

Quote from: Walking Problem on April 28, 2017, 04:13:16 PM

Pterodactylus?

But they will not really "fly" - you think its okay to have them walking everywhere?

=\
You could make a model for them with their wings closed (for walking) and another with the wings opened (when flying), then tweak the movement speed for the flying model to be really fast and it's gonna give the impression of flying even if they are not. I don't know a lot about Rimworld modding, but it's a suggestion.
I hope you understand me, if not I'll be happy to explain with more details.

Fregrant

I dont think game have yet any flying mechanic yet?
I mean, flying units would be able quickly pass over any obstacles without slowing down. Maybe harder to hit.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Fregrant on June 12, 2017, 01:36:38 PM
I dont think game have yet any flying mechanic yet?
I mean, flying units would be able quickly pass over any obstacles without slowing down. Maybe harder to hit.

Currently there is no flying mechanics in the game. (it may be problematic to create one....)

=\

Yeap, if I add them, they gonna behave a lot like the Hopper Bugs I added in my Arachnid mod (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32625.0)

milon

SpaceDorf

there was someone developing a drone for rimworld .. in addition to the spinning blade traps and weird guns .. I will look up the thread, so a "flying mechanic" was possible somehow ..
( effectively a no clipping patch I guess )

==== EDIT ====

As promised :
third project, the freedom delivery system
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30322.0
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Jetpack_Maniac

Good idea, awesome art.  It will be a good addition to the game once complete.

If big dinos are a problem perhaps v1 will exclude the problem children?

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Jetpack_Maniac on June 13, 2017, 10:40:48 AM
Good idea, awesome art.  It will be a good addition to the game once complete.

If big dinos are a problem perhaps v1 will exclude the problem children?

What is "the problem children"?

So far, I think big dinos should be okay... Tanker Bugs and Plasma Bugs seems okay on my arachnid mod. So I will keep the art style for DinoRim

WalkingProblem

Quote from: SpaceDorf on June 13, 2017, 06:56:22 AM
there was someone developing a drone for rimworld .. in addition to the spinning blade traps and weird guns .. I will look up the thread, so a "flying mechanic" was possible somehow ..
( effectively a no clipping patch I guess )

==== EDIT ====

As promised :
third project, the freedom delivery system
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30322.0

Ah~ Its our Godly Chjees working on it~

Looks interesting. =}

Jetpack_Maniac

That's great.  I'm looking forward to your release.