Should i butcher humanlikes for kibble/pemmican?

Started by Iqew, March 20, 2017, 08:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iqew

I've been seeing a fair amount of cannibal colonies so i wantwd to get in some of the biz.

I've been considering butchering some raiders i got a few days ago for their human meat so i can use it to feed my PRECIOUS pets.
Is the mood debuff worth it? I've also heard i should have a psychopath at hand to do the dirty work

b0rsuk

Even with a psychopath doing it you get a -5 mood debuff lasting several days for the rest of the colony. The plus of kibble is that humans won't accidentally eat it.

Lys

If your pets are meat-eaters, you can just store the corpses in an animal area (best freezed) and they will eat those just fine, without giving your whole colony those pesky debuffs. Only negative is that you won't get that nice human leather, but for me it is preferable.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Lys on March 20, 2017, 10:20:28 AM
If your pets are meat-eaters, you can just store the corpses in an animal area (best freezed) and they will eat those just fine, without giving your whole colony those pesky debuffs. Only negative is that you won't get that nice human leather, but for me it is preferable.
"And the dead tribals, sir?"
"Throw them to the dogs!"
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Greep

It's worth it later on when you can take a -6 mood and laugh.  Also human leather is bizarrely high market value, and is better than cloth clothing at least for the defense value.  So it's mostly worth it when you wear the skin of your dead enemies -__-
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Jovus

Shurp

I really think the cannibal penalty should be reduced for the nutrient paste dispenser. It would be so thematic.

"But we're eating people!"
"Really? Look at this green paste. Does this look remotely like people? It doesn't even look like *food*!"
"Point taken *slurp*"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shinzy

you should always butcher humanlikes
what for is not that important

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Shinzy on March 20, 2017, 04:57:45 PM
you should always butcher humanlikes
what for is not that important
And the penalty doesn't stack for anybody but the butcher, so once you start...why stop?

Humanoids: You can't butcher just one!

PetWolverine

It's best to have a psychopath do the butchering if you can, so at least they don't get a huge mood debuff. The colony-wide -6 can be manageable. Keep in mind that everyone else will tend to hate the butcher, which can cause problems.

You can hold onto the corpses and then order them butchered right after a party or wedding to take advantage of the mood buff if the -6 is otherwise too much.

Hans Lemurson

Or just have one person do all the butchering in one go (penalty caps at ~16), and then put them on happy-drugs for the next week.

Jovus

Quote from: PetWolverine on March 21, 2017, 01:46:29 PMKeep in mind that everyone else will tend to hate the butcher, which can cause problems.

To get around this, when you get a new colonist, set them able to do cooking and prioritize butchering humanlike once. The social debuff doesn't come into play between two pawns who have both butchered humanlike.

Then you can set them back to whatever work you want them to do.

Think of it as an initiation ritual.

Hans Lemurson