Cotton is better than drugs

Started by Shurp, March 21, 2017, 04:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

No, I'm not advocating snorting cotton :)  I'm talking about Rimworld economics. Yes, you can easily make a ridiculous amount of money growing smoke weed. But what are you actually going to do with that mountain of silver you get?

Running a cotton economy makes for a better balanced game. Set your colonists to make dusters and parkas to keep them busy. They'll build skill for making charge rifles later. And now that all traders accept clothes for sale you can also turn all that smithing experience into a regular modest silver income.

As an added bonus, you'll never have to worry about naked colonists again!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Greep

I find a mix is best.  You also build skill making smokeleaf/flake I'm pretty sure, but its product is quality-less which means your level 7- crafters actually make a profit.  But yeah cotton's generally better for skilled labor.  Not to mention if you accidentally overproduce, cotton is more profitable in bulk than psychite
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

b0rsuk

We will see. I'm stockpiling my smokeweed joints in my recreation room with overhead mountain. I'm itching to see if bugs will consume it. -30% movement, stoned bugs is something I want to see.

There's no Cotton Fascination, so it's definitely safer.

GiantSpaceHamster

I also came here to say that a mix is best. Early game (or when you don't have highly skilled crafters) smokeleaf is better, but once you have a good crafter I agree that clothing is prefered since it has a higher utility value and can be sold to anyone. Even mid game if I only have one good crafter I will usually still have a smokeleaf bill set to forever with a max skill limit to prevent my highly skilled crafter from doing it. That gives practice to the lower skilled crafters or just lets me make profitable goods with more than just my skilled crafter.

Balance and adjusting to the situation is key in RimWorld. I am always a bit skeptical of "this is how you should always do something" advice =)

EDIT: Minor wording

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 21, 2017, 04:49:00 PM
We will see. I'm stockpiling my smokeweed joints in my recreation room with overhead mountain. I'm itching to see if bugs will consume it. -30% movement, stoned bugs is something I want to see.

To be fair though, binging on smokeleaf is WAY more preferable to going berzerk. The mood bonus is totally worth it for colonists in bad shape mood-wise.

PetWolverine

Mental break: Cotton binge
Lumi spends the next 3 days repeatedly changing clothes, returns to normal starving and exhausted, then goes berserk.

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: PetWolverine on March 21, 2017, 06:03:44 PM

Mental break: Cotton binge
Lumi spends the next 3 days repeatedly changing clothes, returns to normal starving and exhausted, then goes berserk.

"Lumi has gone berzerk! The final straw was: Couldn't find an outfit she liked"

Shurp

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on March 21, 2017, 06:17:59 PM
"Lumi has gone berzerk! The final straw was: Couldn't find an outfit she liked"

LOL!

BTW, I'm not advocating abandoning drugs altogether.  Having some joints around is a vital mood control tool.  But I only stockpile a few dozen for the guys to *use*.  I don't have hundreds piled up to sell and rake in cash with.  It's just massively abusive.

And it would be nice if colonists in a mood state would still eat and sleep.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Marauder

Quote from: Shurp on March 21, 2017, 04:45:18 PM
No, I'm not advocating snorting cotton :)  I'm talking about Rimworld economics. Yes, you can easily make a ridiculous amount of money growing smoke weed. But what are you actually going to do with that mountain of silver you get?

Running a cotton economy makes for a better balanced game. Set your colonists to make dusters and parkas to keep them busy. They'll build skill for making charge rifles later. And now that all traders accept clothes for sale you can also turn all that smithing experience into a regular modest silver income.

As an added bonus, you'll never have to worry about naked colonists again!
Tile the animal pen.

No seriously. I am using my silver to tile my entire base right now. I start with a checkerboard muster for the looks. But my end goal is to tile my entire base in silver/gold. What do you have against that?

Greep

I find I never have enough money.  More money = more explosives, joywire, bionics, lances, legendary equipment, etc.  Maybe if I played a decade-long fort I'd have enough money, but I never stay interested for that long.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

AngleWyrm

By the end of the first year my team of half a dozen has around $10k in silver, and herds of tamed animals.

It's steel and population size that form bottlenecks to the growth of much of the colonies that I've played.

Vegetable Garden by dismar gives a way to make blended leather, and so the various animal hides become useful to make clothes.

Why was that needed? Because it takes killing a Rhinocerous, Thrumbo, Elephant or Megasloth to get enough leather to craft even a single T-Shirt. You can blame that needed patch on the disproportionately large segment of our population that acts out their development efforts going backwards instead of forwards, in the name of balance.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh