[MOD] (Alpha 3) IronWeed

Started by NephilimNexus, April 17, 2014, 09:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NephilimNexus

Sick of mining?  Tired of waiting weeks for the industrial trader to return?  Don't you wish metal just grew on trees?  Well, too bad, it doesn't... but it does grow on bushes!   ???

Does what it says on the tin: You can now grow a new plant type called "IronWeed" in both Growing Zones and at Hydroponics Tables (via the drop down menu available on both).  While you can't actually eat IronWeed, that's no problem, because when you harvest it you get METAL instead of food (about 5 units per bush)!   :o

This mod was stupidly easy to make and should be bug-free straight out of the box.  Overpowered?  You betcha!  I'd almost consider it a cheat but remember that farmer who is growing IronWeed aren't growing any actual food, so you are still putting out some kind of effort to get your precious metals.  The only difference is that now they're a renewable resource. ;D

Celthric Aysen

are you considering on making green weed also known as pot?
;) just kidding.
Yep its Overpowered.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Vas

This is silly.  It gives you infinite metal that you can just grow for nothing.  I played already and you don't need to mine to get metal, you can buy it off traders.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on April 17, 2014, 09:03:07 AM

Y'know, we could probably do something like that... a plant with very, very low nutritional value but a very, very high price tag that you could sell to less savory traders that come by.  Basically something you'd farm for lots of silver. 

I just wouldn't make it look too much like any real-life plants to avoid legal issues for the devs.

Quote from: Vas on April 17, 2014, 09:05:07 AMI played already and you don't need to mine to get metal, you can buy it off traders.

"Sick of mining?  Tired of waiting weeks for the industrial trader to return?"  Did you skip that part?

I've also played already, and I'm also aware that waiting for traders takes a while, especially with other mods installed that increase the variety of traders; for example, with BigBangAlpha3 there's almost a dozen different types of traders and waiting for just the right one can take over a month.

If you don't like it, don't use it.  Personally, I've found it's handy when it's late in the game and I've already mined out all the available metal deposits on the planet and I'm waiting weeks for the industrial trader to swing around again.

joshwoo69

or increase the amount and make it grow slower =Less OP

Vas

I don't think making a weed plant would give any problems to the devs at all.  It's a mod, the devs can't exactly deny mods.

As for traders, I have several mods which add many traders too.  I only ran out of metal a few times.  It's supposed to be hard, not easy.  it's a survival game on a barren waste land type planet.  Not a city builder with infinite resources.  Try to remember that.  By day 440 I had 50,000 silver, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.  I had 20,000 metal too.  I barely mined anything at all.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Tamedsquall

Umm no Vas. Storyteller has scaling difficulty for a reason. At first Glance it's a colony survival game and all that jazz you just said. At the end of the day it's a city builder with mod support which = build it your way.

Vas

Technically you're incorrect.  it's a colony survival game with no win conditions set yet.  So after a while, it becomes a city builder.  It's not advanced enough to keep to the real story teller right now.  The objective is colony survival game.  Not city builder.  Eventually there are supposed to be some win conditions.  Smarter AI would also make the city builder aspect of it less possible, kind of already is with some AI dropping right inside your base.

In any case.  You can very easily make lots of money to buy metal.  This mod makes a good joke, but it is definitely not helpful in any way.  If it works better than mining, then it breaks game balance.  If it's worse than mining, it's a joke.  There are always lots of surface deposits of metal that you can mine and not have much trouble with.  By the time you've depleted all surface deposits, you can afford metal from traders and use it sparingly.

I was just correcting you on the survival game bit though for this post.  I don't mind the mods existence, I just don't see it being used for any real purpose other than a giggle or really really lazy people.

Tynan

Hey go easy on the poor guy! I think the mod is pretty cool. I don't think I'd put it in the game but it's creative thinking and, balanced right, it could create new interesting viable play options.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kilroy232

Quote from: Tynan on April 17, 2014, 02:34:44 PM
Hey go easy on the poor guy! I think the mod is pretty cool. I don't think I'd put it in the game but it's creative thinking and, balanced right, it could create new interesting viable play options.

I agree, he has good initiative and the right idea. Some may find this useful and the people that don't are not being forced to use it. Everyone has to start somewhere :)

To NephilimNexus, you clearly like what you are doing and you definitely have the right idea. Finding a winning idea is not easy, you just have to keep working until you do. Most of the mods I make simply for my enjoyment and to better my gaming experience, and I would suggest the same thing to you. Have fun and keep rocking it

Ermantis

That's a great mod, actually !
Know what you should do to make it less OP ? Have the "metal fruits" from the plants have to get processed at some table to make it usable metal.
That way, it would still make metal a renewable ressource, but with the need of at least 1 (2 for big farms) guy working on it continuously (like... a miner !)

confusedwings

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on April 17, 2014, 09:03:07 AM
;) just kidding.
Yep its Overpowered.

pls don't let you addiction come out... we now know you like lawyers... and pot... what's next...? :p ^^

ON TOPIC...
GOOD MOD really nice one

AntiMatter

like tyrant said... i think the guy should still get a pat on the back for CREATING a mod... i mean I’ve peeked into the guts of rimworld but I’ve come back with diddly squat from it :/

EDIT: tynan your name got spell-checked here to tyrant XD sorry
sometimes, all you need is to get out and push.
-Jeb kerman

Stalker102

Downloaded your mod I honestly like it I did nerf it on my end where it only yields 1 per plant =)
Life has many Bridges. Don't burn the ones you crossed

Plasmatic

Quote from: Stalker102 on April 18, 2014, 11:15:46 AM
Downloaded your mod I honestly like it I did nerf it on my end where it only yields 1 per plant =)

that seems more sensible.. it should be a contribution to your metal income, not the sole provider :)

But as previous posts mention "To each his/her own" "Whatever floats your boat" etc.