[A17/B18] Orbital Hubs United - Dropships 1.2 (14.02.2018)

Started by Cpt.Ohu, April 23, 2017, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi0n

Have not gotten to utilize a great deal of the functionality this mod provides and I want to first commend you on what appears to be a job well done so far. I do however have an issue I'd like to mention and I believe others previously have said something, but the louder the voice the more attention it gets right? So my issue is that I was on my normal storyteller, base builder style of play as usual when out of nowhere around mid year 3, I get a freaking raid from some pirates that literally has about 5+ guys EACH on 3 separate ships! Oh on top of that, they land Inside the very middle of my base, where I store meals and such. I looked at the xml and as a programmer myself I see there's just one style event. These assaults should have multiple tiers. That assault, even at a lower chance of happening, is just not fairly suited for the 5 colonists I had and mediocre (at best) weaponry.

In short, I simply changed it's chance of occurrence to 0. It's given me one good thing: After I load an Autosave, I researched machining and charge rifles lol

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: DoReVo on June 28, 2017, 11:58:32 AM
Whenever i used the ship to go to any "event" on the world map such as the faulty generator that causes tremor, or bandit outpost that was spawned by mission, the ship dissappear when I load the map.

As I said, these are new kinds of world objects that weren't present for A16 and I haven't yet figured out a way to account for those world objects, since there may not only be vanilla objects, but stuff added by mods as well.

Quote from: Jedi0n on June 28, 2017, 12:09:51 PM
Have not gotten to utilize a great deal of the functionality this mod provides and I want to first commend you on what appears to be a job well done so far. I do however have an issue I'd like to mention and I believe others previously have said something, but the louder the voice the more attention it gets right? So my issue is that I was on my normal storyteller, base builder style of play as usual when out of nowhere around mid year 3, I get a freaking raid from some pirates that literally has about 5+ guys EACH on 3 separate ships! Oh on top of that, they land Inside the very middle of my base, where I store meals and such. I looked at the xml and as a programmer myself I see there's just one style event. These assaults should have multiple tiers. That assault, even at a lower chance of happening, is just not fairly suited for the 5 colonists I had and mediocre (at best) weaponry.

In short, I simply changed it's chance of occurrence to 0. It's given me one good thing: After I load an Autosave, I researched machining and charge rifles lol

Well, this was indeed more of a test to see if it works at all. Since it disrupts gameplay too much in the current state, I'll deactivate it entirely until I can make it more fine tuned.

Also put a link to a Discord server in the first post. It's the 40k Corruption server, but since development of both mods is tied together, feel free to join.

Warforyou

I do also have the bug with turrets. All UI buttons just disapper when I have a dropship with a turret on my screen. They show back when it's off-screen though. My orders to uninstall the rurret seem to do nothing as no one seems to care and they can't be forced to uninstall it. Seems strange cause everything seemed to be OK at first but after one raid with the ship I found out they're not working. And then UI bug came in...

DoReVo

Does the issue of pawns wondering, and only 1 pawn loading the ship even when u assign more, still present in the latest version ? Cause i'm still getting it.

Hammerskyne

I'm having an issue that I see mentioned in part in a couple posts earlier in the thread, forgive me if I've missed a response to it in whole.

I'm playing a heavily modded game, but using nothing that is adding specific overmap encounters/haven't been visiting any. Instead, the error I'm getting seems to stem from starting the colony arriving by ship. To whit: Any time I use my ship, when it lands, another ship also appears and lands nearby. This second ship is fueled to the default 200/1000 and empty of all cargo/crew, and as far as I can tell the existence of it causes my colonists to bug out. If I try and embark a caravan from the landed ship, upon assembly and un-pausing the caravan dies, all the pawns in it disappear, and everything being transported is lost. This also happens when embarking a normal caravan; any time I enter any kind of encounter, a ship spawns, and I experience the same inability to continue traveling. I've managed to bypass this once by deconstructing the other ship, but other times I've tried that, no dice.

The situations I've had the duplication and failure to re-embark bugs have been convoy ambushes after setting out in a normal convoy, outposts I've raided, and landing sites I've tried to leave after arriving by ship.

My baseless speculation would be that there is some problem with the trigger for spawning with the ship, and somehow it's re-firing on every map load. But as I am not a developer I can't say that with any degree of certainty. If save files would help you track this down/fix it, just let me know.

Cpt.Ohu

May very well be there's been another change I haven't found yet that makes the GenStep responsible for spawning the starting ship to fire on every map. I'll take a look tonight.

Also I had to go back to the previous version, there was a bug in the update that I only noticed now.

Quote from: Warforyou on June 28, 2017, 06:26:15 PM
I do also have the bug with turrets. All UI buttons just disapper when I have a dropship with a turret on my screen. They show back when it's off-screen though. My orders to uninstall the rurret seem to do nothing as no one seems to care and they can't be forced to uninstall it. Seems strange cause everything seemed to be OK at first but after one raid with the ship I found out they're not working. And then UI bug came in...
I haven't encountered the UI bug after raiding several settlements consecutively with a turreted ship. Can you send me the log file for that error?

2Ton21

Great Mod! Really enjoying it!. Had about 20 raiders drop on my base fairly early game with 5 drop ships. (right inside my basic hospital) Was able to fight them off fairly easily (surprisingly) problem I had with the raid was that when they flee or decide to leave w/ prisoners they do so by leaving the map edge not by their ships (leading to their slaughter), also it seems like a exorbitant amount of drop ships to attack early game. (I only have gun turrets researched) now i have like 5 drop ships and not a clue what to actually use them for other then park them :P.
Can they be sold?
Any chance of adding in some AA launcher so they cannot land right on your base? or do they respond to sentry placement and avoid areas where a sentry gun covers when they land?
Also I notice they seem to destroy some terrain types on landing, I have not figured out how to exploit this for construction or destruction purposes but im gonna figure that out soon. maybe crush those dam crashed ship parts.
Anyway you can make the landing indicator (the little red circle) cover their whole size?
Also can you make them generate power? so i can plug stuff into them on landing? useful for starting a new base or outpost off the ships power. Should burn its fuel of course.
Also i think dropship raids should link the dropships to a certain level of raider quality, that way you dont have pushovers coming out of what is essentially a end game item for the player.
Another idea would be to have them para troops in or land disembark the raiders and then fly off again.
or have some sort of longer warning this type of raid is happening and maybe have them land a square next to you on the world map and after the raid you have to go to that square to attempt to capture the dropships
Also how much worth do these things have? should i just disassemble them to save myself a even worse raid down the road?

Warforyou

Seems like the latest hotfix broke the ability to load ships with cargo at all for me.
Assignig haulers count through load menu just makes this number of pawns disappear from the list of available passengers.

Haven't tried to reproduce the turret bug yet though.

mraadx

Oh my Really love the idea. this is what I have been looking for in Rimworld. But unfortunately I'm getting error during loading stuff into the ship. something like this?
QuoteException ticking Marjot: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorld.Pawn_InteractionsTracker.get_CurrentSocialMode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Pawn_InteractionsTracker.InteractionsTrackerTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

I wonder why? Both old and new saves tested to be faulty. Is it incompatible with some other mods?
please check it out. THANKS
Graphic Designer. Will draw for $.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Warforyou on June 29, 2017, 05:05:58 AM
Seems like the latest hotfix broke the ability to load ships with cargo at all for me.
Assignig haulers count through load menu just makes this number of pawns disappear from the list of available passengers.

Quote from: mraadx on June 29, 2017, 11:04:30 AM
Oh my Really love the idea. this is what I have been looking for in Rimworld. But unfortunately I'm getting error during loading stuff into the ship. something like this?

That's the error I spotted in the morning hours, hence I went back to the old version.

Quote from: 2Ton21 on June 29, 2017, 04:39:59 AM
Great Mod! Really enjoying it!. Had about 20 raiders drop on my base fairly early game with 5 drop ships. (right inside my basic hospital) Was able to fight them off fairly easily (surprisingly) problem I had with the raid was that when they flee or decide to leave w/ prisoners they do so by leaving the map edge not by their ships (leading to their slaughter), also it seems like a exorbitant amount of drop ships to attack early game. (I only have gun turrets researched) now i have like 5 drop ships and not a clue what to actually use them for other then park them :P.
Can they be sold?
Any chance of adding in some AA launcher so they cannot land right on your base? or do they respond to sentry placement and avoid areas where a sentry gun covers when they land?
Also I notice they seem to destroy some terrain types on landing, I have not figured out how to exploit this for construction or destruction purposes but im gonna figure that out soon. maybe crush those dam crashed ship parts.
Anyway you can make the landing indicator (the little red circle) cover their whole size?
Also can you make them generate power? so i can plug stuff into them on landing? useful for starting a new base or outpost off the ships power. Should burn its fuel of course.
Also i think dropship raids should link the dropships to a certain level of raider quality, that way you dont have pushovers coming out of what is essentially a end game item for the player.
Another idea would be to have them para troops in or land disembark the raiders and then fly off again.
or have some sort of longer warning this type of raid is happening and maybe have them land a square next to you on the world map and after the raid you have to go to that square to attempt to capture the dropships
Also how much worth do these things have? should i just disassemble them to save myself a even worse raid down the road?

Adding aerial raids was basically a small proof of concept at this stage. They aren't balanced at all, in no perceivable way. Hence you get them too early, or loaded with half-naked shiv-fighters. And they come in droves with no additional value besides building a huge fleet. That's gonna be evened out with time.

I can definitely make them generate power for a starting colony. It's already a head-start, so why not.

AA turrets for both player and AI is definitely on the agenda now.

I haven't found a way yet to change the landing indicator.

ChaosChronicler

Honestly for dropship raids I think it makes more sense for them to land outside, or just outside the colony. Why land in a hot LZ anyways? Also would be cool for a dropship to fly over a colony and expend droppods for assaults within the colony, but in turn would have a chance to be shot down by AA.

Jedi0n

If AA is going to be a thing, let's keep in mind that if an airspace is controlled by AA, you're not going to take risk by flying into it whether you believe you have a chance at destroying them first or not. There's also some part of me that really doesn't like leaving your chances landing in a settlement hex up to a basic calculated "chance" based on how many AA devices you have. I'd understand needing perhaps one item. Maybe an AA Installation that's a rather large, resource intensive building. With that you can prevent anyone from landing in the terrain hex it's built (and powered) within. Just my feelings on it

Constance68W

So, maybe I'm an idiot... But where are the weapons for the Dropships?  :'(

ChaosChronicler

Quote from: Jedi0n on June 29, 2017, 03:09:49 PM
If AA is going to be a thing, let's keep in mind that if an airspace is controlled by AA, you're not going to take risk by flying into it whether you believe you have a chance at destroying them first or not. There's also some part of me that really doesn't like leaving your chances landing in a settlement hex up to a basic calculated "chance" based on how many AA devices you have. I'd understand needing perhaps one item. Maybe an AA Installation that's a rather large, resource intensive building. With that you can prevent anyone from landing in the terrain hex it's built (and powered) within. Just my feelings on it
Maybe early game have rigged up AA guns that have a limited zone on the colony map. Zone could cover most or all of the colony depending on how many you built. Then for endgame have that large installation that effects the terrain hex.

Distman

Wow! Amazing work!

Still haven't tried it, but will have my eyes on this thread and the development.

Keep it up!