[A17/B18] Orbital Hubs United - Dropships 1.2 (14.02.2018)

Started by Cpt.Ohu, April 23, 2017, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Ton21

Quote from: ChaosChronicler on June 29, 2017, 02:05:18 PM
Honestly for dropship raids I think it makes more sense for them to land outside, or just outside the colony. Why land in a hot LZ anyways? Also would be cool for a dropship to fly over a colony and expend droppods for assaults within the colony, but in turn would have a chance to be shot down by AA.

Maybe that can be one of the "bomb" payloads, you can load a few droppods in there instead of bombs. I think as long as the amount of dudes dropped per ship was not excessive like 2-3 per ship, it would be fine without the AA able to shoot them down.

2Ton21

Quote from: Cpt.Ohu on June 29, 2017, 01:38:14 PM
Quote from: Warforyou on June 29, 2017, 05:05:58 AM
Seems like the latest hotfix broke the ability to load ships with cargo at all for me.
Assignig haulers count through load menu just makes this number of pawns disappear from the list of available passengers.

Quote from: mraadx on June 29, 2017, 11:04:30 AM
Oh my Really love the idea. this is what I have been looking for in Rimworld. But unfortunately I'm getting error during loading stuff into the ship. something like this?

That's the error I spotted in the morning hours, hence I went back to the old version.

Quote from: 2Ton21 on June 29, 2017, 04:39:59 AM
Great Mod! Really enjoying it!. Had about 20 raiders drop on my base fairly early game with 5 drop ships. (right inside my basic hospital) Was able to fight them off fairly easily (surprisingly) problem I had with the raid was that when they flee or decide to leave w/ prisoners they do so by leaving the map edge not by their ships (leading to their slaughter), also it seems like a exorbitant amount of drop ships to attack early game. (I only have gun turrets researched) now i have like 5 drop ships and not a clue what to actually use them for other then park them :P.
Can they be sold?
Any chance of adding in some AA launcher so they cannot land right on your base? or do they respond to sentry placement and avoid areas where a sentry gun covers when they land?
Also I notice they seem to destroy some terrain types on landing, I have not figured out how to exploit this for construction or destruction purposes but im gonna figure that out soon. maybe crush those dam crashed ship parts.
Anyway you can make the landing indicator (the little red circle) cover their whole size?
Also can you make them generate power? so i can plug stuff into them on landing? useful for starting a new base or outpost off the ships power. Should burn its fuel of course.
Also i think dropship raids should link the dropships to a certain level of raider quality, that way you dont have pushovers coming out of what is essentially a end game item for the player.
Another idea would be to have them para troops in or land disembark the raiders and then fly off again.
or have some sort of longer warning this type of raid is happening and maybe have them land a square next to you on the world map and after the raid you have to go to that square to attempt to capture the dropships
Also how much worth do these things have? should i just disassemble them to save myself a even worse raid down the road?

Adding aerial raids was basically a small proof of concept at this stage. They aren't balanced at all, in no perceivable way. Hence you get them too early, or loaded with half-naked shiv-fighters. And they come in droves with no additional value besides building a huge fleet. That's gonna be evened out with time.

I can definitely make them generate power for a starting colony. It's already a head-start, so why not.

AA turrets for both player and AI is definitely on the agenda now.

I haven't found a way yet to change the landing indicator.

Thanks for your hard work!

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Constance68W on June 29, 2017, 08:37:30 PM
So, maybe I'm an idiot... But where are the weapons for the Dropships?  :'(

Currently there is only one, an improvised  turret. You cannot build or trade it yet, because they aren't completely safe for some people yet. If you really want to see it, you'll have to use the devs console.

Regarding AA turrets: The easiest and dirtiest option would be to just forbid ships landing on a map with AA guns. But that isn't fun.

I'll probably make the time to drop a lot longer and let the guns fire at the incoming ships. If  a certain threshold is reached (say 50% damage), the ship crashes. That way tiers and stacks of AA are possible.

I'm also finishing up on a requested feature: Parking Spots. You'll be able to set a ships current position as parking position, and from every other place you can return to this spot with a single button. Should make returning home easier.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Constance68W

Quote from: Cpt.Ohu on June 30, 2017, 01:34:46 PM

Currently there is only one, an improvised  turret. You cannot build or trade it yet, because they aren't completely safe for some people yet. If you really want to see it, you'll have to use the devs console.

Regarding AA turrets: The easiest and dirtiest option would be to just forbid ships landing on a map with AA guns. But that isn't fun.

I'll probably make the time to drop a lot longer and let the guns fire at the incoming ships. If  a certain threshold is reached (say 50% damage), the ship crashes. That way tiers and stacks of AA are possible.

I'm also finishing up on a requested feature: Parking Spots. You'll be able to set a ships current position as parking position, and from every other place you can return to this spot with a single button. Should make returning home easier.

@Cpt.Ohu - You could "reduce/hinder/limit" the accuracy of the AA guns to give ships a chance to land..
I mean... Look at the ZU-23 AA guns, they have a tendency to be fairly inaccurate but spit lead like nobody's business..
Unless you were looking at a "missile" system.. Either way, I think that ships SHOULD be able to land despite AA.

I mean, it happens.

Hammerskyne

Quote from: Constance68W on June 30, 2017, 08:39:14 PM
Quote from: Cpt.Ohu on June 30, 2017, 01:34:46 PM

@Cpt.Ohu - You could "reduce/hinder/limit" the accuracy of the AA guns to give ships a chance to land..
I mean... Look at the ZU-23 AA guns, they have a tendency to be fairly inaccurate but spit lead like nobody's business..
Unless you were looking at a "missile" system.. Either way, I think that ships SHOULD be able to land despite AA.

I mean, it happens.

I mean, sort of. "Hot" landings are exceedingly rare, when you think of hot as facing equivalent technology anti-air defenses. Most of the hot LZ action we've seen, like, ever has pitted modern dedicated fast transport landing helos against shoulder mounted dumbfire rockets and small arms fire.

The way you take an LZ that is covered by AA is by hitting that AA from long range with guided bombs/rockets because you have air superiority and munitions to spare to solve the problem. True air superiority is something we should never ever see in Rimworld, because it is terrifying. Pirates, equipped with drop ships and resources to build bombs, could just crater our entire bases from high altitude/low orbit and what could we possibly do to stop it?

Constance68W

You're right, but these are some pretty sturdy looking ships..
I'd bet they could stand up against some RPGs/Small Arms Fire.

Not sustained or accurate, but enough to land their troops at the edge or a quick swoop and drop..
Similar to Mass Effect's Kodiak or Halo's Pelican?

Just some ideas.. Either way, I'm beyond ecstatic that I finally have dropships in RimWorld.

chinskidrwal

I waiting so much when you fix bugs.This mod is awesome:)!

Cpt.Ohu

Update is out. Starting ships should work now without duplicating on every map.

Also I nerfed aerial raids. They now drop on the edge and the probability was reduced dramatically.

rambo

Cpt.Ohu

If we are talking about ship turrets, then no. And I think I'll have to provide my own solution for this to work.

rambo

Canute

I just installed the mod to an existing colony, and now i am geting a black screen with outpost icons other factions.
I still can play, but can't use the world map.
Any way to fix this ?

System.Linq

This mod is really cool. It feels a little out of place compared to vanilla, but I love the concept and execution.

Constance68W

Quote from: Canute on July 03, 2017, 04:18:09 PM
I just installed the mod to an existing colony, and now i am geting a black screen with outpost icons other factions.
I still can play, but can't use the world map.
Any way to fix this ?

What other mods are you running?
I just updated and used the previous versions and have never had that issue..