Official: RimWorld Alpha 17 - On the Road released!

Started by Tynan, May 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Based on the blog post, this thread is for feedback and discussion on Alpha 17!

However, this thread is really feedback and discussion-focused. Other specific kinds of comments should go in the appropriate forums:

Suggestions should go in the Suggestions forum.
Bug reports should go in the Bugs forum.
Support requests should go in the Support forum.

Thanks all!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Limdood

mellowautomata

Dang it, I wanted to say I'm kinda new here so I'm first. But I'm kinda new here so I'm second

Safir

Yeah, I was just about to start a new A16 game and had almost finished downloading all mods I wanted to use. Now I suppose I'll have to aim for a vanilla A17 instead to take all the new stuff in. Thanks Tynan!

mellowautomata

Quote from: Safir on May 24, 2017, 02:05:45 PM
Yeah, I was just about to start a new A16 game and had almost finished downloading all mods I wanted to use. Now I suppose I'll have to aim for a vanilla A17 instead to take all the new stuff in. Thanks Tynan!

If you want, you can select A16 from beta branches in Steam client (assuming you use it, which I think you should be able to since they added the possibility of getting steam key even for DRM-free purchases, although not sure about the restrictions). In case you don't know how to participate into one, just right-click RimWorld on Steam client, go to properties and then the "BETAS" tab and opt into whatever branch you want. Here's a picture: https://gyazo.com/3306fbcf8cf094ad19119d358d06f216?token=06cf362c270076db180c9280f7d26c75

By the way Tynan, if I had played for A17 beta branch, should I expect anything being different now than, say, two days ago?

Tynan

Quote from: mellowautomata on May 24, 2017, 02:09:42 PM
By the way Tynan, if I had played for A17 beta branch, should I expect anything being different now than, say, two days ago?

It's exactly the same build, actually.

mellowautomata

Oh well, I'm still excited, since the modders are probably gonna start releasing their stuff for a17

Cashdiddy

Is there any change toward colonist population limit (i didnt see anything mentioning this) like increasing the population cap and if not where could i find the files to edit this myself (and maybe release a mod) on steam?

mellowautomata

Quote from: Cashdiddy on May 24, 2017, 02:25:16 PM
Is there any rework toward colonist population limit (i didnt see anything mentioning this) like increasing the population cap and if not where could i find the files to edit this myself (and maybe release a mod) on steam?

There are population cap mods but all of them seem to be for a16 (and I tried one that doubled pop cap for each storyteller, it seemed kind of buggy since it was for a16). I think Tynan doesn't intend to increase the cap inherently because the story-driven factor is basically negated the more pawns you have. OTOH, I have mixed feelings about this myself, in particular due to the new direction that caravans seem to introduce and the whole "multiple colonies" possibility.

Another reason is also performance-wise.

And on a personal note, I honestly don't recommend trying to go for huuuge population. It really starts to become a mess slowly as this game lacks lots of tools that I feel are somewhat essential for proper macromanagement. There are mods to meliorate the issues of managing a huge colony, but basically the feeling you'll get will be more like playing one of those different kinds of colony simulators where you get these soulless, faceless servants that have no personality, to simply do the tasks you want them to do.

I think caravans can actually still make it meaningful, but... it would also make this less of a colony simulator and more something like Kenshi. It could be very fun, but... yeah. Also, I can't see it working unless your main-colony gets less affected by events that in particular require your activity (raids, electricity shorting etc), which again sounds just weird.

Cashdiddy

I agree with performance wise (which is why i'd rather have the ability to edit it to what my system can handle and not have people on laptops suffer for people like me with gaming PC's to have all those colonies we want :P) but i more just want to know the location of the file dictating this so i can edit it and maybe release a mod for A17 for those who also want it :P

Tynan

You can edit the storytellers by overriding StorytellerDefs. The core StorytellerDefs are in Mods/Core/Defs/Storyteller/Storytellers.xml

Sirportalez

Wow that base generator is so awesome!  :o

Very good update. Thank you!

Ra_Tukt

Hi! I am so happy you came up with a solution for the stockpile/creation inefficiencies!! Is there anything similar in the works for filling a stockpile itself from another lower priority stockpile ? I am always perturbed when I set a stockpile to fill with medicine at high and it goes down by an increment of 1 and a colonist feels the need to refill it despite being across the map.

Bonus Question, have you planned to have the updates follow a kind of wave to help with press, hype, and let's plays? As in, one flashy update adding new stuff and one lowkey update really polishing everything and making the game smoother.

Rulin

Do rivers grant any benefit atm or is it better to settle elsewhere if you want more soil?

Is it maybe just a foundation for future features like boats, fishing and water wheels?

Wanderer_joins

Are multiple settlements still experimental or does the storyteller take into account the number of colonies?