Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkstar82

Hi there, New owner of RimWorld after playing 11b to death on friends laptop.  Its such a neat game.

So I thought I`d come say hi, and let you all know I`m just waiting for the sun.  :)

Zombra

"Introduce yourself!"
Okay, I will!

Fooled you!  That's not me.

Hi.  I am Zombra (not pictured).  I put that glam photo there for a bit of visual interest.

I just spent about 30 of the last 48 hours playing RimWorld after a friend of mine on RPG Codex mentioned it in passing.  Paid full price for the alpha and everything.  Love the game, still learning new things.  I'm always very excited about games that give me robust AI automation tools and this is perfect.

Usually I am into CRPGs.  Anything character-driven, particularly when I have some control over character attributes and motivation, as opposed to prescripted stuff written by someone else.  I also very much enjoy procedurally generated characters.  Basically anything that makes me feel like I am participating in a story rather than watching a movie.  (I like movies too - but they don't make good games.)

Games can make me cry; that's about the most embarrassing game-related thing I can think of.  I guess that happens more in scripted games though, stuff like The Walking Dead which is all script, and mostly all designed to make you cry.  I cry at movies too.  Hell, I cry watching Rick and Morty.  I haven't cried yet playing RimWorld though, not even when my trusty warg Fifi who'd been with me since the beginning was gunned down in her prime by a machine gun turret aimed at an angry turtle.  I do have an "Awww" moment every time a colonist visits Fifi's grave, though.

I don't really "do" breakfast.  That's another half hour I could be sleeping in in the morning instead.  I don't even have a mechanism for coffee.  Though that may be changing this year.

GrayMaulkin

Hi fellow colonists,

I'm Nicolas, age 32, Night Receptionist by trade.

I have longtime history with Dwarf Fortress and other management/strategy/sandbox games and quite the interest in scifi so i ended meeting RimWorld. I played on the last two versions. It has quite the potential, so i'm glad to be able to join the party.

kornalius

Hello, I've been playing RimWorld for a little while now and I am loving it. I love to see the progress, the passion and devotion that the guys at Ludeon Studios are putting into it.

I have been a analyst programmer for about 25 years now and I live in Montreal, Quebec. I've worked on games (iOS, PC), business software (accounting, db, edi, data mining, ...) and programming languages development (PPL) throughout my career. I am the president of ArianeSoft Inc. which opened in 2006 and mainly do consulting work from home now.

I am a fan of RPG games, board games, electronics, 3d printing, anything nerdy. :) I've been playing drums since childhood in different bands and I'm in the process of building my own studio to get back into music creation.

Well, that's me in a nutshell.

Glad to now become part of this thriving community.

Alain

Bodog999

After scrolling through the thread I noticed I haven't introduced myself yet (after being with Rimworld since A3). Ello! :D
-How did I find this game?
Well, I saw this game for the first time on youtube on the channel of my favorite youtuber (duh :P )
-My favorite other game you ask? Well....
First of all I hate this question but I will try to awnser it. If I had to chose it would be between Space Engineers and Terraria.
-My most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Welp, uhm, I cant really chose, I have way too many xD
-Favorite cere.. nope just 2 slices of toasted bread with some meat on it, done
-Hobbies?
Gaming ofcourse, astronomy, art and trying to code Rimworld and not crash the game horribly
-Other stuff
Trying to learn to code
Socially akward
Knows stuff about tanks (helpfull right?)
Likes to break games and try to fix them
Likes to dig through the files of Rimworld

Realjuan

Hi Everyone,
I am Realjuan and live in Freiburg, Germany while finishing my masters in Computer Science. As my name suggest I am not German, but Colombian. Meet up brewing? For beer of course :D

How did you find Rimworld.
I found Rimworld on youtube, but I can't remember the channel because is not someone I follow.

Other games that I like
My favorite game all time was Diablo 2, I liked the idea of Puzzle Pirates but hate that lack of dedication from their development team, and I also love competitive games like Counter Strike, Dota, World of Tanks. Right now you can find me in World of Tanks and learning how to play Poker. Also trying to get into playing-painting miniatures and I love to WATCH Magic:The Gathering (to expensive for me).

-My most embarrassing gaming-related story?
When I was around 16 or so, I was left alone at the house so I started playing Diablo at around 4pm and then I heard a sound so I turn the screen off and hide under the desk. It was 1am and my sister was coming from a party, when she was in her room I turn the screen back on and played until 6am and then I woke up at 8am and kept playing. The great teenage years.

Cereal:
I normally buy one and if I like it I stick to it until I move (which is often).

Hobbies:
Warhammer (just starting)
Poker (learning)
Web Design (Always in the back of my mine, but I cant never finish something)
Writting? I would like to start a blog, but my grammar is soooo bad.

Random Fact:
I never mess up with Games, but with Rimworld I am thinking of doing it. I did take a class in AI so lets see if I learned anything.

pappes88

Hay I'm Christian Papendick
I'm a German Gay from the near of Hanau
My brother tel me about Rim World. After may first playing i can stop to Play rim world. I wait a long time for sum gamy like Rim World.
Sins Rim World Alpha 9 I play ever version an a lot of mods. I test the most mods there are Realest and today i found my favorite configuration :)
I's very interesting to see  that the game get better every version. And i think this game has a lot of potential.
My respect to Tynan for this master Work
Best regards
Christian Papendick

Yodaler

Hi all Rimmers!

I saw a playthrough on Youtube and liked the challenges so bought and have been playing a few hours now. My playstyle is just jump right in and if I can't figure it out then start reading the help and fourms.  lol

Love the challenges even if it do seem the storytellers can be merciless.

Thanks for this well thought out game.

MrRocket50

Hi! I'm Rocket50 (Erick) and I live in Brazil. I'm nothing except an amateur art hobbyist and a dreamer.

- I found Rimworld in a channel on youtube, quickly I got interested. I've watched a lot of videos about the game.

- Games with freedom are my favorites, like Terraria and The Sims.

- The most embarrassing game was F22 Interceptor from Megadrive. When I was young, appeared with a creepy skull, I was playing this game when I got the game over screen with a creepy skull. I fell off the chair and quickly I ran away from my room.

- Bread, it fits in almost every breakfast.

Admiral Obvious

Hey guys. I'm Admiral Obvious (Chris). I'm currently in between (real) jobs at the moment.

I found out about RimWorld from EnterElysium, and WeaselZone, and couldn't help but notice how it looked like a more accessible clone of Dwarf Fortress (that's a good thing right). After seeing a few episodes, I decided to buy in, even going as far to get the Name In Game package, as I can see great promise in this game.

My favorite other game is Dwarf Fortress (of course), and recently i've taken a liking to Europa Universalis.

I don't really have an embarrassing gaming related story I can think of...

Corn Pops is the best (tasting) breakfast cereal for me, although I tend to eat Oatmeal (call me weird) with raisins.

chchgreen

Hi all, just another gamer here, im from New Zealand

i cant remember how i came across rimworld, but it was a year or so ago, i gave it a go, but didnt really give it a chance. Just had another go last week, and i must say, ive become rather hooked!!!

Other games ive been enjoying lately are, Mount and Blade Warband(with mods),and Prison Architect( hey rimworld and PA graphics look like they came off the same shelf!)
Always been a big fan of "sim type" games, and not that horrible thing from EA!
Simcity(cityskylines = simcity 5 lol) Populus(im old) ThemeHospital, Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius, stronghold series, anno 1404?
Basically i like building games, even moreso with military in it, and i loooooooove building walls and defenses!!!
rimworld reminds me a bit of timber and stone, another indie colony type simulator but in 3d. dwarf fortress looks interesting but i cant get past the horrid UI.
Embarrising rimworld storie, i was all like " hey honey, check out this game im into at the moment" she rolls her eyes. show her the social aspect of the game and that ive named two of the pawns after us and were married, a season or two pass ingame, next thing the pawn named after me has been divorced by the wife and my namesake has married the other girl pawn, a bit later my ex wife shivs up my new wife. My real life GF was not impressed and thinks the game set a bad example, "GREAT!" i said, so i got to stay up all night gaming that night! i.e sleep on the couch! haha

and i dont know if its a thing where you guys are from, but weet bix! cereal of champs! until they make bacon cereal!!!

milon

Quote from: chchgreen on May 19, 2016, 04:35:42 PM
and i dont know if its a thing where you guys are from, but weet bix! cereal of champs! until they make bacon cereal!!!

Challenge accepted!  ;D

Put this:

On this:

And welcome to all the new faces avatars!

Devstorm

Hello!

I'm an aging gamer mother from Iowa.  ;D Yes, my kids game and so do I, though our interests vary widely. They roll their eyes at Dwarf Fortress, the little rats.

That's where I first heard tell of Rimworld. I didn't know whether or not I'd like it, but then I saw some of my favorite Youtube Lets' Players had played it. Watching got me very, very interested. As a single mom, I can't always get the games I'd like to get but it was my summer treat time so today I took the plunge and bought Rimworld. I've really enjoyed the bit of it I've done!

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a few years, and lately also played the heck out of Stardew Valley. I love building games, Harvest Moon style games, and these more stark colony survival type games.

And I have oatmeal. And tea. Can't forget the tea, or I'm just not fit for human interaction.

bard0fboom

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I was introduced to RimWorld by watching Blitzkrieglser and I just got interested and got the game
-What's your favorite other game?
I like games such as RimWorld with needing to supply yourself and build with resources you get

I also don't know a lot about the game, so if you can help me, pm me (someone said to hit create world so I can try mods but I'm afraid to plz help)

milon

Welcome!

And Devstorm, you've got the same avatar as Kaballah.  That's going to be some confusing fun if you're both active on the same thread.  :)