Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmorris

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.

mzonk

I'm Jeff.  I'm a moron with a Mensa card.  I have a bachelor's degree in computer science from RIT (a top-10 school), a 30000-word vocabulary (think "Shakespear") and...Crohn's Disease, which is a big reason why I don't have a job right now, I have disability income...

...which makes things more frustrating for me to deal with.  You don't know how many times I've wished I could get my hands on the source code to this thing--and I'm only just starting to learn how to play it.

Right now I'm trying to discover the documentation on the beauty system in the wiki.  I'm sure it's there, and I'm also sure that when I find it I'm going to be asking for a few hyperlinks so that other people can find it more easily than I could.

...and if I have to write that part of the wiki myself...well...you guys got an NDA handy?

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

A young man who lives near where I do.  He had just given me a truckload of not-so-healthy old computers and I'd cured the ills of a few of them.  I do more than program.  As I type this message, I'm watching over a game of Rimworld on an HP DV-9700 that I bought on ebay, "not working--for parts or repair" and put back together with parts lying around the place where I live.  I'm going to try to filp a couple of similar machines.  Wish me luck.

-What's your favorite other game?

An old 4X called "Space Empires III."  This took over for the original 4x, "Reach for the Stars," when I traded my Commodore 64 in for an IBM PC.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

For me or my opponent?  I've lived through both at the chess board.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

I like the Banana Nut flavor of Sunbelt Bakery.  It's so much like me--cheap and obscure but great value!

:)  :)  :)

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.

I can post a short story or two.

Hemmingway said that you can tell a story in six words.  I can do it in five:

That editor can't cut MY

timmodude

Hey.

My name is Tim and I live in Texas.  I'm 53 years old.

I discovered RimWorld through a YouTuber named Blitz.

I don't play a lot of different games, tending to fixate on one for a long period.  Skyrim, Fallout, Borderlands, Ark, and 7 Days to Die mainly.

I like Golden Grahams  ;D

And I'm a cat person ;)

Vanzanz

Hi, I love/hate this game.  It is too much fun and very challenging.

I love base building games, started with X-COM: UFO Defense in the 90's... I like games I can let run in the background while working on things.  This one perked my interest simply because I was on another game forum and someone was lementing the lack of involvement by the developer after the first couple patches.  They referenced this game as an example of getting it right and continued improvement.  So I had to check it out.

I like the newer XCom's, The Fallouts, The Elder Scrolls Games, Terraria(Probably my all time favorite), The Mass Effects, and Diablo's.  I also loved The Supreme Commanders, Rise of nations, the Warcrafts, the Starcrafts, the C&C's, and Empire Earth's.   

I was on the closed beta-tests for Diablo II and Homeworld.  I liked Diablo II, but decided Homeworld was not that great... and told my friends to avoid it.  I am sad I did, looking back now.

hot cereals or frosted mini-wheats...

ELIF

Hello, the name is Irrational_INT and yes I know irrational numbers cant be integers, anyways...

I was introduced to the game by a Youtuber named Etalyx, decided to give it a go and what do you know I find myself hating and loving this game, and losing tons of hours to it.

my favorite games are Subnautica, Factorio, Terraria, to name a few, since there's just so many...

Most embarrassing gaming related story? gotta be when all the hares on the map killed my colony.

favorite cereal, mostly any kind of frosted cereal I'l like ^_^

Osprey

Howdy howdy, I go by the pseudonym Osprey in most circles.

I've always kinda been a fan of base-building or city-building types of games. Dwarf Fortress was a huge thing for me when I was younger, and I still play it every now and then, though not nearly as much as I used to.

What introduced me to RimWorld specifically was when I hopped on to one of SovietWomble's streams on Twitch. I had joined in the middle of one of his games, "The Ice Cats". After a couple days of watching him play, I decided I wanted to get RimWorld for myself. So here I am.

My favorite "other" game has easily got to be ArmA II and III. I've been a fan of shooter games for a number of years, and I still play games from the Call of Duty and Battlefield franchises, but when I played the base ArmA II (I originally only bought it to play DayZ), I was hooked. I liked the relative realism of the ArmA series, the ability to actually communicate with my squadmates, and the massive map sizes. I was a bit skeptical at ArmA III's "futuristic" setting, but after playing it for a little while, I decided 'hey, this isn't that bad' and just rolled with it. Besides, that's what the RHS mods are for.

It's actually currently going on right now... a pack of murderous gazelles, of all creatures, decided to come tearing through my RimWorld city. I was just barely able to get all five of my current colonists behind the door of the dining/general-purpose room, and the gazelles kept bashing on the door till it was at 1% health, whereupon they left it alone. Now they're just running around, and I'm waiting for them to bugger off so I can finish some things outside.

I don't eat breakfast often enough to tell you :P

oHybrid

Hello everyone, my name is oHybrid and I'm from Australia.

Mack from Worth a Buy? brought me to this game, and that god he did, I've spent over 700 hours in it! And that's only with 1 completed colony!

My favorite other game, if we're basing on time played, is Minecraft. I've only ever played multiplayer, though.

My most embarrassing moment is probably when I didn't notice that one of my colonists died, I have no idea how I didn't notice it! xD

And by the way, Weet-Bix is the best cereal :D

Looking forward to the rest of my adventure in Rimworld!

~oHybrid

thewraithplayer

Hey guys. My most common pseudonym is TheWraithPlayer (a name that stuck from my early teens) but on Steam I am Waleyva. I got introduced to the game though Youtube, specifically Cromulent Archer. My next favorite game has to be Project Zomboid: although it still has a few holes and bugs because it is an early release, it is still an amazing, gritty survival simulator. Most embarrassing... when my colony leader (I often start with one colonist) when on a killing spree of his henchmen because one of them tracked dirt into his room (P.S.- everyone died). Finally, the best cereal is the simplest on the planet...

Cheerios.

Jackalvin

Hello Rimworld Anonymous, I'm Jackson, and I've been using Rimworld nonstop for 2 years
hi jackson.....
I always liked sim games, like Simcity, Civ, and Planetbase. Rimworld came on my queue on steam, and I had to try it out.
As I mentioned, I like simulation games. I'm going to get Frostpunk soon. I think that's gonna get on the list.
ow Ow OW OWWWW!!!!!!
I remember playing Battlefield three, and I just got a mic. I was such a ******* squeaker back then, and some poor guy had enough
"STFU Jackson! You *****!"
And so then I now have Mic-ophobia. I can't bear my voice or use voice chat without having a panic attack.
I don't eat cereal, as I'm mostly carb-free (and hating it), but my favorite be fruit loops. I know, disgusting, but I haven't had cereal in so long, I'd eat anything.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Dr_Biohazard

Nice to meet to all Users
My name is Dr Biohazard but you can call me Doctor
Why i'm here? just looking victi... volunteers for my experiments
And remember Radiation, Toxin, and Fire are good for you
And Doctor Biohazard will cure you maybe.
Raflaxin is good for your health
You can smell it and you can taste it
but you can't taste or smell again
Because your dead. . . . . maybe

FrankE39

Hey this is my first time Posting hope it turned out Ok.

YouTube at first, after playing more of this types of games i got hooked.

Between Eu4 and Hoi4 at the moment.

I can't specify remember, although something to do with chicken soup, borrowed controller and tripping.

I don't really have one, ill go to the store and get the first one I see.
To me, you, and to Who?!!!

Vietgnome

Name is Vietgnome - no, not Vietnamese, just liked the name.... and gnomes.
Live in upstate New York (same city as RIT).  I'm a teacher, and have been playing video games since I can remember - from Adventure to (hopefully soon) Pantheon, Rise of the Fallen.

I enjoy strategy games, and building games that allow you to show growth (levelling up).  I love details and seeing how things interact.  Loved Gnomoria, but that game just ended, then saw RimWorld.  Gave it a go and thoroughly enjoy it (barring the game freezes that make me lose my game).  Hopefully, when it is complete, many of the mods (currently too many to list) I enjoy are incorporated into the game so I don't have crashes that lose my poor colony.

EQ, XCOM games, Pillar of Eternity, Civilization, OOTP Baseball

Well, just broke up with my vegan (yes, her psychotic new veganism questioned my manhood about picking up dead carcasses off the grocery store shelves rather than hunting it myself) as we were heading to a vegan-friendly restaurant.  Turned around, dropped her home, during a blizzard.  A few hours later while playing EQ, thought my housemate walked in, but it was this girl who was walking to my house in the blizzard and was picked up and dropped off by the police... she wouldn't leave until I agreed to remain friends (as my on-line friends heard the whole conversation).

Umm.. rhetorical question?  Lucky Charms of course!

hrhomer

Hi all, I go by hrhomer. I've used the name online for about 20 years, and chose it after watching the Simpsons episode "Homer at the Bat." It stands for "Home Run Homer." Live in Gettysburg, PA. From Trenton NJ, but consider San Francisco to be my "hometown," as I lived there for about 17 years and miss it so much.

I have tried Dwarf Fortress many times, and just couldn't really penetrate the dense layers to get to the meaty center. The genre fascinates me.

In my life, the games I have played most have been Worms 2, Civilization III, Diablo II, and World of Warcraft. Currently, the game I have been returning to daily has been Spelunky.

When I was about 12, my dad took me to the mall. I went to the arcade while he did whatever he did. I was playing "Rush 'n' Attack." I got killed in a particularly annoying way, and yelled "Oh, f--- you!" My dad had been standing behind me the entire time, and luckily just laughed. But I was kinda scared for a moment.

I've alwayd loved mostly old-person cereal - Grape-Nuts, Wheaties, Raisin Bran, etc. But Cap'n Crunch and its' spin-offs are awesome.

MachineGunLuke

Hey there all my name is Luke, im a gamer based in Norfolk England UK

A couple of guys in teamspeak were talking about it

Skyrim for solo experience or CSGO/WoW for multiplayer goodness

many on CSGO usually involving a combination of my shitty aim, alcohol and my inability to attend the correct bombsite

I do love me some Reese's puffs breakfast cereal, or if in canada ille have a 20 box of timbits and pour my coffee over them

Langreda

Hey folks! Langreda here! I'm an eye doc and a father of two, but after the office is closed and the kids are in bed, I am a scheming Rimworld colony overseer!

I have always loved strategy games! I think Steam recommended this to me based on playing Civ VI, Banished, and Don't Starve.

I have been a huge fan of CRPGs, from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights as a teenager to Shadowrun Hong Kong and Pillars of Eternity most recently.

Recently made a colony with Prepare Carefully of my personal character, Cahuani Langreda, and 10 Langreda clones, named I, II, III, etc. for the monthly challenge. Our jungle colony literally went down in flames after one member of our clone family died from a panther and everyone had a breakdown. Oh, plus two raids back to back. I just put it on 3x and ate cake to comfort myself while I watched.

Cocoa Dyno Bites or Honey Oat Blenders w/ Almonds