[A17] Pawns Are Capable! (No more disabled work!) Updated to V3.2!

Started by Rimrue, June 18, 2017, 01:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimrue

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on July 06, 2017, 01:41:23 PMFor my part I still think the best way to solve this is to drop the trait system entirely and instead repurpose vanilla's incapable of interface. Replace its function with the one from this mod so that way traits are completely untouched and you don't get an entire unused Incapable of section in the character tab.

Alternatively if you absolutely must go with traits you could always rewrite the character tab to replace the now unneeded incapable of section with additional space for traits, so as to break the 4 trait limit.

We are looking at both these options. :)

Thanks!

Rimrue

All right, per your requests, Pawns Are Capable has now been updated to remove the "Incapable of (none)" section of the pawn generation screen and the character tab, allowing up to nine traits to generate per pawn. This means, no matter how many "incapable" traits a pawn generates, they WILL ALWAYS generate random vanilla traits. Usually 2-3 just like in the vanilla game. Useless pawns aren't quite so useless anymore!

Download Pawns Are Capable! 3.1 on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949431734

Download Pawns Are Capable! 3.1 on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rwjghp3i9wnx12/PawnsAreCapable3.1.zip?dl=0

ALSO, per your requests, Rainbeau has released Pawns Are Capable (no traits). Instead the "Incapable of (none)" section of the pawn generation screen and the character tab have been replaced with "Hated work types". Because there are no traits, pawns will not be slower or worse at a job, but they will still get a mood debuff that gets worse over time. Otherwise, the mods are almost identical in functionality.

Download Pawns Are Capable (no traits) on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=969096940

Download Pawns Are Capable (no traits) on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0segkjzfwc2kg5u/R%26R%27s%20Pawns%20Are%20Capable%20%28No%20Traits%29.zip?dl=0

Try them both, see which works best for your play style! And enjoy having pawns that are 100% capable! :)

skullywag

Jeez. Speedy work guys! Ill deffo have a crack at this in my next play session.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

moonra

Damn, that's awesome. I'm very glad that my criticism after, like, an hour of gameplay was well-accepted and helped you guys make those versions.

Just one question, should I only use those on new colonies? 'Cause I'm really liking my current one and would dearly miss it.

Thanks for the amazing and fast-as-hell work, guys!

Rimrue

It's all good. We want to make the best mods we can, so are always open to constructive criticism. :)

Either mod should be safe to install on an existing game. If you go with the original version of the mod, your existing pawns will lose their incapabilities, but may not generate the corresponding new traits. Newly generated pawns, of course, will get the corresponding traits. If you go with the no traits version, then you shouldn't notice a difference at all as it just replaces the "Incapable of" with "Hated work types".

But try them both and see which you prefer. :)

Just be sure none of your pawns have a mood debuff when you remove either mod as the game will delete that pawn!

Thanks!

lorebot

@Rimrue, I've got an existing colony using the previous version of this mod, how will upgrading affect the colony?

If I switch to the 'No Traits' version what will that do?

dburgdorf

Quote from: lorebot on July 07, 2017, 09:04:48 AM@Rimrue, I've got an existing colony using the previous version of this mod, how will upgrading affect the colony? If I switch to the 'No Traits' version what will that do?

Upgrading won't cause any problems. The 3.1 version is fully backward-compatible with the 3.0 version.

As to switching to the "no traits" version, you should be fine, subject to the standard caveat for removing PAC from a game in progress. Make sure before you remove it or switch versions that none of your pawns are assigned to hated work types, and that none of them still have any "lingering" mood debuffs from such assignments.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

In my testing I have found if they are assigned to work they hate or have a lingering debuff from it, pawns will be deleted from the game. So switch with caution!

Unless you really hate those pawns and want any easy way to get rid of them. Lol

lorebot

Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 11:01:12 AM
In my testing I have found if they are assigned to work they hate or have a lingering debuff from it, pawns will be deleted from the game. So switch with caution!

Unless you really hate those pawns and want any easy way to get rid of them. Lol

Even useless pawns are worth organ farming :)

lorebot

Okay, I've got a gripe...the first couple times I saw it I just kinda scratched my head and was like 'RNG sucks' but now I'm starting to think it's more than just bad RNG and could be a bug...

I keep seeing pawns with the Healer backstory (and typically the Healer nickname) who have the trait Hates Hospitals, which I could kinda understand if it actually meant they hated technologically advanced healing institutions since it would mean their ancient traditions were probably being ignored or made obsolete...but it actually makes them hate being assigned to Doctoring which negates the Healer backstory and associated bonuses and passions for Medicine.

Could someone check if there's something going on here that's a bug or even just make it impossible to have the Hates Hospitals trait with the Healer backstory? It's not just infuriating it's stupid.

Rimrue

What's their childhood backstory? There are a couple tribal stories that disable doctoring. Sole survivor I think and ... can't recall the other. Unfortunately that's the vanilla game. It has the capability of checking for required work types for backstories, but few of the backstories have the required work tags. :/

This is why I play with Editable Backstories which corrects a lot of that silliness.

But we can double check there isn't some sort of bug going on. :)

lorebot

Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 02:12:07 PM
What's their childhood backstory? There are a couple tribal stories that disable doctoring. Sole survivor I think and ... can't recall the other. Unfortunately that's the vanilla game. It has the capability of checking for required work types for backstories, but few of the backstories have the required work tags. :/

This is why I play with Editable Backstories which corrects a lot of that silliness.

But we can double check there isn't some sort of bug going on. :)

The only one I can recall is the most recent one, had Vengeful child and Healer as the two backstories. It was kinda the final straw for me and I had to come say something about it because it was a 'Calls for Help' incident and I only have 1 healer atm in the colony so when I saw 38 year old Healer I was like, 'FUCK YEAH I'LL SAVE YOU FROM THOSE FILTHY PIRATES!' And then she popped up on the map with Hates Hospitals and I wanted to stab her in the neck myself and then let the pirates have her.

I haven't really looked at Editable Backstories at all, I figured it was in the line with Prepare Carefully and wouldn't affect my game much beyond that starting conditions. Does it do more than that?

Rimrue

Yes, that's the other one. :(

I don't know if there is a way we could fix that from happening in this mod. But believe me, I find it just as frustrating when backstories cancel abilities out. :/

Definitely Tynan needs to address it. It really is as simple as adding <requiredWork>Caring</requiredWork> to the Healer backstory. But since backstories are assets and not XML files it's not like we can just add it with a patch. :(

lorebot

Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 02:32:32 PM
Yes, that's the other one. :(

I don't know if there is a way we could fix that from happening in this mod. But believe me, I find it just as frustrating when backstories cancel abilities out. :/

Definitely Tynan needs to address it. It really is as simple as adding <requiredWork>Caring</requiredWork> to the Healer backstory. But since backstories are assets and not XML files it's not like we can just add it with a patch. :(

I'll just keep an eye on future 'Healers' that I see, but I don't mind so much when an adult backstory cancels a childhood one because things happen and as you grow up maybe you grow away from something...but when it's the reverse it's just maddening. How do you grow into something that's made impossible by your youth?