Fire not warming room

Started by Boston, June 24, 2017, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

So, I had my colonists build a cabin, with wood walls and a stone fireplace (more walls)

The entire building is roofed, with doors keeping everything nice and tight, yet the fire will not warm the building. The "indoor" (and the screen says 'indoors') temp remains the same as the 'outdoor' temp, and when I highlight the fire, I don't get the usual "red-tint" that shows what it warms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dashthechinchilla

How big is the room? Maybe a single fire isn't warm enough. Insulation is a little different in 17b, single layer walls aren't as effective as they were in 16 and materials matter.

Calahan

@ Boston - I'm moving this to GD (for now at least) because there is no real bug report in your OP, and there could be several different reasons why the fire isn't heating the room (as you expect). Reasons the community will hopefully be able to help you identify. Oh, and it would probably help if you stated whether or not you are using any mods.

If during the discussion it turns out there is a vanilla bug here then either this thread can be moved back to bugs, or a new thread created based on the info in this thread.

@ Dashthechinchilla - Where in the patch notes for A17 does it mention anything about materials for walls now making a difference to insulation? As that would be a pretty big change that I doubt Tynan would just slip into the game undocumented.

Actually, where does it mention any changes to insulation in A17? Not saying something hasn't changed in A17 in relation to this as I haven't done any testing myself with A17 to know either way. But if things had changed then I'd have expected threads to have appeared in GD like "can someone please explain the changes to insulation to me", plus again I'd have expected something in the patch notes about this. The absence of such threads and patch notes suggests, to me at least, that there have been no changes. Unless you mean some changes to prevent exploits (but as I said I haven't tested myself to know if there have been changes, and if so, to what extent).

But if you do know then I, and I'm sure several others, would appreciate it if you could please post the details of these changes.

cultist

Quote from: Boston on June 24, 2017, 08:29:57 PM
stone fireplace (more walls)

Are we talking about a campfire surrounded by walls here or something from a mod? A vanilla campfire should provide heat, it's anyone's guess what a modded item does.

Boston

It is a vanilla campfire, and the room is 7 x 9 blocks. I even have an 'airlock' for the one door into the building.

The 'stone fireplace" is just a fire surrounded by stone walls

I would post screenshots, but I can't get the size under 600KB

Canute

With regular campfire you should heat at last this room for serveral degrees.
I use 4-5 campfire on solarflares to heat my 25x25 plantroom.

Screenshots are taken in .png. Most picture view programs can load this and safe at .jpg which should fit the sizelimit. If you don't got any search the web for irfanview.

erdrik

Quote from: Boston on June 25, 2017, 08:28:47 AM
Now, when you say "surrounded", do you mean partially surrounded or completely surrounded?
Like, literally all 8 neighboring tiles are stone walls?

Boston

Quote from: erdrik on June 25, 2017, 12:20:08 PM
Now, when you say "surrounded", do you mean partially surrounded or completely surrounded?
Like, literally all 8 neighboring tiles are stone walls?

No, 5 of the 8. One side is completely open to the room

=x=
===

tommiethegun

The room is fully roofed? Any vents in the walls? How cold is it outside the room?

Canute

I think he mean something like this picture.
And it definitv work, the outdoor temp is 9°C.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

erdrik

It is a vanilla campfire, ...
The campfire can be "vanilla" and still have mods installed and affect it in some way.
Are there any mods active?
If so, does the problem still occur in a 100% mod free game?

Dashthechinchilla

It is possible I didn't notice it until A17, but it seemed like I struggled to keep my freezer at temp more than in A16.

Either way, there is a good youtube video if you look for A17 insulation that talks about material and design, Boston.

Bozobub

Then provide the link.  NO ONE is going to go look for random YouTube videos ::).
Thanks, belgord!

BetaSpectre

Make sure the room is roofed. Sometimes this can be an issue, but try to make double layers of walls.

And if you stay in an area that's like -80 don't expect a fire to help much.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Boston

I think I got it.

My usual strategy is to build a cabin partway into a hillside, so to leave more space for crops. Apparently, the heat from the fire is going into the stone of the hill.

When I build a cabin in the open, things are fine, which is annoying, because dugouts are a thing.

I'll run some more tests.