Mark for smelting

Started by Yomega13, June 26, 2017, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on June 29, 2017, 01:28:52 PM
any smelter thats got power should automatically allow for the smelting of anything tagged for it.  so range and any other elements are irrelevant.
I still foresee issues, as other people have pointed out.  If the stockpile ignores bills, then you're basically setting up a smelting bill, but LOSING the functionality of being able to set range.  If the stockpile needs a bill to be active anyways, then why would it need to exist?

currently I manage my smelting by setting several different bills on the smelter that cover all greatly damaged weapons, all very low quality weapons, all weapons of any quality i don't use (most of the melee), all set to forever, and then a special one for the items i do use set to do 0 times with a very small range, and a stockpile that accepts nothing at critical priority next to the smelter.  When i need a certain item smelted that doesn't fit, i mark the stockpile to accept whatever the item is, and tick up the do 0 times to do once (or more, depending).

It takes a bit to set it all up, but once it's done, it runs itself.

I'm not totally sure i see what situation you'd want to do basically the same thing in a stockpile for, since range and restrictions on a "forever" smelting bill at the smelter itself can function identically.

Now being able to hotkey mark individual ITEMS for smelting, like you can hotkey mark chunks for hauling, THAT would be cool.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Limdood on June 29, 2017, 09:44:32 PM
Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on June 29, 2017, 01:28:52 PM
any smelter thats got power should automatically allow for the smelting of anything tagged for it.  so range and any other elements are irrelevant.
I still foresee issues, as other people have pointed out.  If the stockpile ignores bills, then you're basically setting up a smelting bill, but LOSING the functionality of being able to set range.  If the stockpile needs a bill to be active anyways, then why would it need to exist?

Where did you read a Stockpile into this ?
I think it was meant as filter for the smelter and used like the haul-designation for items.
It would be useful as stockpile filter to accept such items, so haulers can simplify things.

First of my smelting recipes are set up the same way as yours ( as is cooking, butchering, reclaiming fabrics and so on .. )
But this concept would remove the micro from the last bill you described.
Instead of counting up the bill and setting the stockpile next to the smelter .. you leave the bill on forever
and mark the item you want smelted .. done.

The distance setting and the special stockpile are just that Peglegged Pete the smooth Smelt-Operator doesn't start hikes across the map.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

realdead_man

EstebanLB01

Blato

Quote from: Aerial on June 29, 2017, 12:32:39 PM
Quote from: Limdood on June 29, 2017, 10:35:05 AM
i just thought....there is a downside to this...it removes the ability of the smelter to determine smelting range - unless both the smelter bill AND the stockpile have to be set right, which just doubles the work instead of making it easier.

"Mark for smelting" should simply take priority over any bills in the smelter.  That way you can still have a bill to smelt all awful melee weapons that are smeltable, but you can also mark a specific non-awful melee weapon and it, too, will get smelted.
+1 On this idea.

Just like having an option to mark an item for hauling (eg. marking stone chunks to be taken to stockpile), an option to mark a certain item for smelting would be great.

Example when to use it:
My smelter is set to melt down all low quality/low durability items. But in the last raid, a raider dropped a good quality plasteel spear with 90% durability. I don't use spears, and would really like the plasteel from just that spear without accidentaly compromising my good or better weapons.

Zelgadis87

I'm surprised this has yet to appear in vanilla or in a mod (that I know of, at least).
Distinguishing items to smelt using stockpile settings and then reducing the range of the smelter bill is far from a great solution (complicated, lacks flexibility, chanche of smelting the wrong item).
It could work something like Dwarf Fortress' dump command, it would be really useful imho.

Jibbles

Quote from: Zelgadis87 on May 05, 2018, 08:54:22 AM
I'm surprised this has yet to appear in vanilla or in a mod (that I know of, at least).
Distinguishing items to smelt using stockpile settings and then reducing the range of the smelter bill is far from a great solution (complicated, lacks flexibility, chanche of smelting the wrong item).
It could work something like Dwarf Fortress' dump command, it would be really useful imho.

There's a mod.  I suggested adding something like this to vanilla a while back.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1241579445&searchtext=smelt