[MOD] (Alpha 3F) Architect+ (v1.0)

Started by pawnstorm, May 01, 2014, 04:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawnstorm

Quote from: mrofa on May 01, 2014, 06:17:52 PM
pawnstorm could you just make a normal list like window insted of icons?
Technically I probably could, just as an infinite number of monkeys would eventually be able to produce Hamlet given infinite time. But it would be more work than I'm prepared to put in this. GUI manipulation is pretty hard at the moment, one of the reasons I made this is because I spotted an easy fix for this by splitting the array of items into smaller chunks when it gets passed to some function that draws and processes it. For alpha 3, I think this is as good as it gets for large modpacks.

mrofa

It was worth a try :D
So you say i only need a infinite numbers of monkeys in time loop hmm that can be done :D
All i do is clutter all around.

pawnstorm

Quote from: jamieg on May 01, 2014, 04:55:11 PM
black screened with crazy unity console error log
So, did anyone else experience this? I'd much appreciate some feedback on this. I do remember at one point during testing, I also got a black screen because I had made a copy of my Mod directory without the txt file (which most likely didn't cause it) and ThingCategories.xml file in it.

WorldOfIllusion

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 01, 2014, 05:22:16 PM
Quote from: Architect on May 01, 2014, 05:17:34 PM
C# is all I've even known XD Well, that and python... What do you mean by structured programming?
Ah, the last game I extensively modded has a python modding system :P. Structured programming used to be the status quo until object oriented programming became the new black. "Old" languages like C are primarily focussed on it.

Wait, you actually LIKE C? But, but, all the management of memory and the eventual stack overflow errors and pointers and malloc'ing and and. C makes you do so much that the nice higher level object oriented languages will just do for you!
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Tynan on May 01, 2014, 05:34:53 PM
Quote from: Vas on May 01, 2014, 05:31:35 PM
This is nice, but it won't help if the architect isn't improved.  It just means that much more clicking around and hunting.  We need a search feature, and the ability to hide things from view that we don't intend to ever build, and the ability to make it into a word list rather than a huge icon list, the word list would just have smaller icons next to each name.  Icons about the size of the text height.

Yes, the menu is being stressed by being asked to carry far more than it was designed for. I've made some improvements for A4 which should help things (especially modder-defined categories so you can make your own category).

Paging is a great idea though, I should've thought of this!

Having an alphabetized list could also help. There could even an option such as
Order items with:
[X] Alphabetized
[  ] Researched
[  ] Magic (read: unordered)
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

pawnstorm

Quote from: StorymasterQ on May 01, 2014, 11:22:42 PM
Quote from: Tynan on May 01, 2014, 05:34:53 PM
Quote from: Vas on May 01, 2014, 05:31:35 PM
This is nice, but it won't help if the architect isn't improved.  It just means that much more clicking around and hunting.  We need a search feature, and the ability to hide things from view that we don't intend to ever build, and the ability to make it into a word list rather than a huge icon list, the word list would just have smaller icons next to each name.  Icons about the size of the text height.

Yes, the menu is being stressed by being asked to carry far more than it was designed for. I've made some improvements for A4 which should help things (especially modder-defined categories so you can make your own category).

Paging is a great idea though, I should've thought of this!

Having an alphabetized list could also help. There could even an option such as
Order items with:
[X] Alphabetized
[  ] Researched
[  ] Magic (read: unordered)
Nice idea! I could try to add some buttons to the architect info panel (above the tab buttons) when no item is selected where you can set how to sort the list and how many max items you want on a page. In fact, I could probably also add some toggles to hide items that meet a certain criteria.

pawnstorm

rutefly

Quote from: Architect on May 01, 2014, 06:14:11 PM
C# is all I've even known XD Well, that and python... What do you mean by structured programming?
Ah, the last game I extensively modded has a python modding system :P. Structured programming used to be the status quo until object oriented programming became the new black. "Old" languages like C are primarily focussed on it.

So had did people access individual instances data if nothing was object orientated?

Inlined assembly code i think. Varied with the compiler that was being used.
It was/is messy in most cases.

pawnstorm

Cala13er

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 03, 2014, 03:34:12 PM
Added sort checkbox in v0.6

Can you make a v0.6 version that doesn't re-size depending on resolution and fitting in 4 lines.

pawnstorm

Quote from: Cala13er on May 03, 2014, 05:33:54 PM

Can you make a v0.6 version that doesn't re-size depending on resolution and fitting in 4 lines.
What do you mean by re-size on resolution? Do you mean so it always shows the small icons? I don't have much time to work on it now, since I'll be away until tuesday in a couple of hours and I still need to fold my laundry and pack. But if that's what you mean, see attached file.

The default version doesn't resize on resolution change, when it draws a page first it checks if it can fit all remaining items in max 2 rows of default size items, if not it tries to display them in 4 rows of small items.

Edit: Oh crap, I left the text search box I was working on in there, which isn't finished yet... gimme a minute, I'll do a new recompile

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Celthric Aysen

I need another Pistol!
someone shoot me in the head! this is too awesome!
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Cala13er

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 04, 2014, 02:03:06 AM
Quote from: Cala13er on May 03, 2014, 05:33:54 PM

What do you mean by re-size on resolution? Do you mean so it always shows the small icons? I don't have much time to work on it now, since I'll be away until tuesday in a couple of hours and I still need to fold my laundry and pack. But if that's what you mean, see attached file.

The default version doesn't resize on resolution change, when it draws a page first it checks if it can fit all remaining items in max 2 rows of default size items, if not it tries to display them in 4 rows of small items.

Edit: Oh crap, I left the text search box I was working on in there, which isn't finished yet... gimme a minute, I'll do a new recompile

Yeah, but the small icons are horrible. I'm not to keen on that part but the rest of the mod is brilliant! And thanks for the custom build.

pawnstorm

Quote from: rutefly on May 03, 2014, 12:37:17 PM
Quote from: Architect on May 01, 2014, 06:14:11 PM

So had did people access individual instances data if nothing was object orientated?

Inlined assembly code i think. Varied with the compiler that was being used.
It was/is messy in most cases.
There are no instances. If, say, you're making a game and want to add things that have data structures, you'd just create structs for them. And then put them into an array if you want more of those things.
If you compare the old win32 api with the dotnet framework it should give you a decent grasp of the differences. Structured code just has an entrypoint (main or winmain) and everything just happens from there. The exposed win32 api consists of just function calls, whereas the dotnet framework has all kinds of classes you can create instances of and manipulate.
Inline assembly is mainly used for optimizing code for a specific architecture, mostly things like floating point operations or fancy GPU stuff. There isn't really anything you can't do in C that you can do with inline assembly, but in some cases it helps to yield some extra performance if you can do better than the compiler.

Cala13er

Just tried the custom build, I meant could you stop it resizing the icons to small? And also make it so only 36 icons appear each page max. Thanks :)