[1.0] Centralized Climate Control (v1.5.0 - 21st October '18)

Started by coldtoad, July 11, 2017, 06:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldtoad

Cool, I will use these values while balancing. Thanks!

coldtoad

v1.2.0

New:
- Switches for Pipes at Vents

Balance Changes:
- Decreased performance of Wall mounted Vents to 75% when compared to Full Size Vents
- Intake Power Consumption increased for both Buildings to 150W and 450W
- Flow Efficiency and Thermal Efficiency now have a greater impact

Bug Fixes:
- Fix Vent Highlight color to Cyan when connected to Cyan Pipe
- "GraphicsLoader probably needs a StaticConstructorOnStartup attribute" Warning

Canute

Just got a question (old version).
Does the intake change the temp. of the room at any way ?
At last i notice that intakes in different room affect the intake temp. for the controller.

I got 2 intakes in my main room, and wanted extra cooling during a heat wave, so i placed another intake in the freezer room, but didn't notice any temp. change at the freezer room.
But later the controler of the freezer room messer up (after loading safegame). The pipenetwork of the 2 controller wasn't connected and even different colours.

coldtoad

Quoteso i placed another intake in the freezer room

Okay, this seems a bit confusing to me.
Check this guide out: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1078768280

Edit:
Intakes should be kept outside. So they get the air from outside.
Climate units change the temps of that Intake air.
Vents dump the air into the room.

xD Is this the same with your implementation?

Canute

You should link the guild at your 1. posting, useful for new user. But it didn't tell me anything new.
Maybe you can add some numbers, like how much flow generate the intake, how much flow use a wall mounted vent. So people know how what they need to increase to have an effect.

At the freezer, we allready agree that it is a good idea to place the intake inside the freezer room, so it can take allready cold air and made it colder.
That is all fine and was working.

I got a 2. network to heat the main room (damn desert can become very cold at winter) and got a heat wave at late spring. 2 intake at the main room, serveral vents at the main room and living rooms.
Good thing your climate controls can heat and cool.
But the room still got 30C nothing dangerous, outside it was 50C.
The freezer got -10C (control at -19C), so i thought to put an intake at the freezer to give some extra cool air to the living room.

Logical the temp. of the freezer should raise a bit, but it doesn't. That lead to the question "Does intakes change the temperature of rooms?"

Another thing i notice later (i think after a loading), control unit from the freezer didn't work. Intake and outtake display was 0C but room temp was above 0C.
I replaced the extra intake outside, and replaced the control unit with the dev. tool. And it worked again.

So i think something messed up with the networks, you could investigate.

coldtoad

Hey,

Yeah the guide was made recently (it's incomplete but will be updated). Will update the links in the 1st Post.

Does intakes change the temperature of rooms?
Yes, but indirectly. Intakes take air at a specific temperature (average of all the wind cells around it). This specifies the overall intake temperature. If you have more intakes, then the global average of all connected intakes is taken.

This intake temperature is fed into the Climate Unit.

The Intakes decide how fast the Vents should do their cooling/heating. As you know, the more vents you start having the more distributed your air flow becomes (and thus, lowering the effect per vent). This factor is called Flow Efficiency. So Like you said the room was at 30C, yes the Vents did try to cool it down, but the cold air escaping the room and the outside extreme heat did affect it slightly. Flow Efficiency will decide how fast your rooms will try to get the target temperature. Sometimes they don't that maybe because the flow is less or an incident like heat wave is happening.

if FE reaches <50% then you ll start seeing some changes. Like a room 12x12 will start attaining its temperature slowly. If more fluctuations (like frequent entering the room for colonists etc.) come then attaining that temperature will take some time. Maybe it wont attain it because of how the game is feeding heat into the rooms (ambient, events & colonist movement).

I noticed this too " Intake and outtake display was 0C but room temp was above 0C." But usually they automatically build the networks and start working as normal. this is because I am not storing the Intake Temperature and Exhaust in the Save file. Which I think I should now.

But I'm not able to reproduce the 0C. After loading, it says 0C but it starts up and starts working again like normal for me. If you even face this issue. Just build 1 pipe anywhere. It will trigger rebuild of the networks.

This flow efficiency needs to be on the guide. I will put that up soon. (You also have thermal efficiency)

EDIT:
So how to resolve this 30C issue? Build more Vents. And if you do that, make sure you have enough flow. If you dont have enough flow, then build more intakes.

Sixdd

This mod seems really good, I will have to try it on my next colony.

coldtoad

@Canute Check out the Guide's new part "Air Flow Mechanics"

@Sixdd Thanks :) You can check the guides too on how it works over at Steam.

Canute

Quote from: coldtoad on July 19, 2017, 04:08:18 PM
@Canute Check out the Guide's new part "Air Flow Mechanics"
Looks fine so far ! :-)

What do you think to change the
Total Network Air flow:  600 cc/s
into
Network pressure: +200 cc/s (you can add vents)
Network pressure: -400 cc/s (you need intakes)

coldtoad

Ah the + and - thing will definitely help. Its better than the large positive value. I will look into this. Thanks!  ;D

Schwartz

Does the performance decrease for wall-mounted vents mean that the player can use more of them before he runs into flow/thermal issues? Essentially servicing more rooms less efficiently.

And I've never seen either buildings change from 'low' to 'high' power use. Does that happen when flow and temp efficiency drop later on? Or is it tied to a wide temperature difference, i.e. cooling 50°c down to -10°c?

That aside I agree with the changes. The system was a little too cheap power wise when compared to traditional temp stuff. A color switch for the vents was also necessary.
Re: Temp units. It looks like they generate a little bit of heat on their own. But I haven't run into problems using intakes and temp units in the same closed building. It's usually just a difference of a few degrees.

coldtoad

QuoteDoes the performance decrease for wall-mounted vents mean that the player can use more of them before he runs into flow/thermal issues? Essentially servicing more rooms less efficiently.
Wall mounted vents actually are just 25% weaker than the regular ones. I can change that value to 50%. But first wanted to see if people notice any severe changes with their maps. It's only the fact that full size vents can output more air compared to wall mounted ones (hence more cooling/heating). The user will need more wall mounted vents when compared to full size ones to achieve the same target temperatures.

QuoteAnd I've never seen either buildings change from 'low' to 'high' power use.
This is my first mod (like ever), I haven't coded that yet xD. I will add that to the list. It comes bundled with the Power Component.

QuoteRe: Temp units. It looks like they generate a little bit of heat on their own. But I haven't run into problems using intakes and temp units in the same closed building. It's usually just a difference of a few degrees.
Fixed in the Future Version (v1.3.0). If you have placed a Climate unit inside a Room. It will go up to 40-60 degrees based on the location. If you keep your buildings outside, it wont affect you at all. I have a feeling some people have their climate units inside. This update will affect them somewhat.

Schwartz

I'm not sure about that.. Imagine you're building in a very cold climate. You want the heat and you essentially get it for free - once 'low' and 'high' will be implemented, temp units producing lots of ambient heat could lead to an unintended exploit for icy biomes. Just put it all in an enclosed space and harvest the heat. Could even do it with regular vents and open doors.

How about this: Units that raise the temperature produce ambient cold, units that lower the temperature produce ambient heat. Makes sense, right?

And ideally it shouldn't be a massive temperature spike. That just enables the player to put heating units in freezers and cooling units in farms and common rooms. If it's just a few degrees, it's enough to up the workload for enclosed temperature buildings slightly without making it worth it to put them elsewhere. You still could, of course..

coldtoad

Exploit sure is there.

The Cold / Hot exhaust seems reasonable.

Will need to think more on this. Thanks for the suggestion :)

coldtoad

@Schwartz Another idea can be we make it like the Native Cooler + Heater. When the Climate Unit will cool air, it will generate heat (like the native cooler). And, When the CU will heat air, it will do nothing (like the native heater).

You might say that we can still use the CUs to make a false cooling network and use the heat generated by it. But the same can be done with a native cooler right? we can reverse the native cooler and get the same stuff.

What say? Anything you can add to the topic?