[1.0] Centralized Climate Control (v1.5.0 - 21st October '18)

Started by coldtoad, July 11, 2017, 06:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwartz

That sounds reasonable. If you're in a hot biome and need a cooler, you have no use for the hot air. If you're in a cold biome and need a heater, you most likely won't need a cooler. In a temperate biome during winter, the cooler might turn off so you don't get the ambient heat benefit.

I was thinking about dedicated exhaust ports for this, but come to think of it... you don't really need these. Could always put some plain old vents into the heater / cooler building and equalize temps with outside.

Canute

@Schwartz
Wall mounted vents are good for smaller rooms and when you don't want "waste" the space inside the room  for regular vent.
1 Intake can support 3 vents or 4 wall mounted vents. With 50% for the wall mounted vents the intake can support 6 wall mounted vents. I think even on 50% they should be good for a 5x5 sleeping room.
Personally i just build wall mounted vents, i don't like that vents block the way inside a room.

I allready thought about to exploid the exhaused heat from the CU, but currently i am on desert and don't need to heat much like on a cold biome.
To create a room 3x9 enough place for 3 intakes, and then 1-2 CU at the wall with the exhaust inside the room.
The heat would jam inside that little room, and the CUs would have less work.
You even can exploid this more when you use fueled generators and put them into that room too, they generate heat too. But careful then the temp. easyly can get above safe tem. for your pawns.

Any device what get powred generate heat, you can't say that the CU don't generate heat when it heat the network. It isn't 100% temp. isolated.

Edit:
Ok, just did a fast testing:
Outside -20C, small room +35C, large room +16C.
Without looking into the data, i think the CU heats like a heater.
But that not right it use the same power (200W) like a heater, heat the room AND the network. The exhaust heat should be reduced alot.
BTW, the CU didn't heat the the network in this case it cools the network :-)
Converting: 35C (intake) -> 23C (exhaust).

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

coldtoad

1.2.2 Published:

Balance Changes:
- Climate Control Unit now gives a significant heat exhaust (Only when Cooling Air)

Bug Fixes:
- Storing Temperature information for Climate Control on Game Save
- Fix the Display string when Power Component of the machines breakdown
- Code optimized in some files

Balgias

Unable to get the vents to function at all, " vent is disconnected "

Canute

You have connect it with the CU with a pipe, or build next to the CU ?
The vent shouldn't be in the same room like the CU exhaust are.

Balgias

It seems to me that the color of the pipes for the outgoing air needs to be the same as the ingoing air

Canute

Yes, from the intake to the vent, all need to be the same colour.

Schwartz

Bit of a quirk.. you can flick climate controls on and off, and it won't alter the thermal efficiency rating shown on vents. Flow efficiency numbers change when you flick fans on / off.

Ledaren

Thank you for this

Suggestion : Add total vent's cc per network in the vent info

Katarumi

What do you do if you have a large climate controller, a small fan intake, but it isn't enough to heat the room you're trying to heat? More intake?

Schwartz

First check if you have enough vents in the room. Wall vents in particular you might need several to keep the climate stable in bigger rooms. If that is not the reason (but it should be), one control unit can work off of 3 fan intakes of the same size. So that's 3 big fans or .. more than 12 small fans, I forget. Anyway, even just 1 small fan is more than you need for 1 room.

Canute

At first you need an intake !
An intake give 300 cc/s thats enough for 3 vents or 4 wall vents.
1 climate controller can support 3 intakes.

If the room don't heat well enough, you need more vents.

Katarumi

It was almost certainly the vents. I had one intake, one climate control, and one vent. I'll try adding more vents and see if that helps when winter rolls around. Temps aren't bad now, but my planet is jetting away from its star and everything that ever mattered, so it's going to get real cold. Thanks!

Mavoc

Just an FYI, I have been doing a ton of testing of this mod lately and posted a full write up of things I noticed and ideas on how to improve this mod in case anyone here is interested in reading or commenting on it.
Steam Discussion

Also after reading this thread, it seems some of you are placing the full vent inside of rooms instead of replacing a wall tile with them.

Oblitus

Quote from: Mavoc on July 30, 2017, 02:15:36 PM
Also after reading this thread, it seems some of you are placing the full vent inside of rooms instead of replacing a wall tile with them.
Because it is compromising wall integrity. Vents are relatively fragile. And ugly.