Heat Wave!

Started by PhantomFav, July 16, 2017, 07:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomFav

So my colony is a tribe (without advanced technology) in the desert, it's summer, and there is a heat Wave (60° at noon). The question is: how can I keep my paws cool? I already use the passive coolers, but every time a paw exits from its barrack, it collapse on the ground in few minutes. On stone-age technology level my paws can't craft cowboy hats and dusters! What can I do? :)

Skynert

Well, you can end heat wave in dev mode. Cheaty, I know but hey, it's just a game.

PhantomFav

Quote from: Skynert on July 16, 2017, 07:58:02 AM
Well, you can end heat wave in dev mode. Cheaty, I know but hey, it's just a game.
This isn't the way I play.

Quote from: Lowkey1987 on July 16, 2017, 08:04:50 AM
look into reddit!
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5rva9h/need_tipshelp_with_tribal_extreme_desert/
THX but I have already build my camp ._.

Canute

You know about the passiv coolers, simple research even for tribals.
But when you even run out of wood to build these, then there is just another ruined settlement.

Shurp

Here's a solution: rush research electricity and cooling.  Also, pick your starting month as winter.  You might make it before Summer cooks you.

(I usually play in Boreal Forest, and I can research electricity before fall from a summer start.  Make sure you have three research benches and three competent researchers)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

AngleWyrm

there used to be a mod for A16 called Reworked Temperature Extremes, but it seems to have been removed.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

PhantomFav

@Shurp: your solution is for the next game, not the current :-\

So, am I screwed? XD

Canute

If you don't wont cheat, and don't want load an safegame before the heatwave, prolly yes.

ArguedPiano

Could you not just keep your pawns indoors and wait out the heatwave?
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

PhantomFav

Quote from: ArguedPiano on July 16, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
Could you not just keep your pawns indoors and wait out the heatwave?

Obviously not! They have little ugly hut, so if they stay there, they go psycho in less then a day!

O Negative

Quote from: AngleWyrm on July 16, 2017, 10:08:53 AM
there used to be a mod for A16 called Reworked Temperature Extremes, but it seems to have been removed.
Sorry about that ._.

Heat waves were nerfed in A17, but they're still incredibly deadly.

Key information on heat waves:
- 17 degree (C) increase on seasonal temp
- Only triggers if seasonal temp is greater than 20 degrees (C)
- Last at least 1.5 days
- Last no more than 3.5 days

Your conditions:
- Desert biome; 60 degree (C) during heat wave
- Primitive cooling technology available
- Unable to tailor "anti-heat" attire

Honestly, the only true option I see for a situation like this is to try to wait the heat wave out. You can micromanage your available food by allowing your pawns to become malnourished a bit (20% increase/day max) before letting them eat. It'll be an unproductive few days, but you'll survive. Other than that, I can only recommend a lot of planning for future heat waves. You've settled in an exclusively hot biome, so you only need to worry about one type of insulation. At least you've got that going for you ;)

PhantomFav

Guys, it's too late. All my paws are dead, in heatstroke, or like that Jake Nicholson in The Shining. THX for the tips :)

Shurp

You could wait a few days for the Storyteller to repopulate your base after everyone dies.

Next time... if you're settling in a hot biome, try having a plan to survive there first :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

PhantomFav

Quote from: Shurp on July 17, 2017, 05:34:20 AM
You could wait a few days for the Storyteller to repopulate your base after everyone dies.
Without refrigerated food and animals on the map? I don't think so XD