Rescuing Enemy Prisoners

Started by Penguinmanereikel, July 19, 2017, 02:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penguinmanereikel

I thought of a cool idea where enemy bases would also have prisoner cells/barracks in them, and if they survive the raid until the last enemy is downed/dead or have their cells opened, there would be a chance for them to join you. If they don't join you, they'll just run away to the edge of the map.

To add onto this, there could also be events where a friendly faction requests that we free their member(s) from an enemy faction of theirs (currently every faction is only enemies with the pirates) and are rewarded if they live and escape the map! In these circumstances, the prisoner will not join if you free them.

I'm not sure yet, but do prisoners in your colony escape if raiders destroy their walls? If so, then some enemy factions may try to raid with the intent of freeing a captured member.

Moreover, there could add the ability to demand ransoms from other factions. Maybe we could also have the ability to choose our price and the faction will pay based on how good the deal is. The bargained prisoner will then be set for release and payment will be delivered by transport pod. There would also have to be some time between when we are allowed to demand ransoms from the same faction.

JimmyAgnt007

Id also like to add that if the enemy is holding one of your people for ransom that they will be in their base when you go attack them.

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on July 20, 2017, 12:51:39 PM
Id also like to add that if the enemy is holding one of your people for ransom that they will be in their base when you go attack them.

Yes, also that.

Toast

This all sounds great to me, *provided* that freed prisoners do not auto-join without the opportunity to refuse them. My colonists are happy to rescue the Luciferium addicted pyromaniac from captivity but he ain't going home with them.

But yes, "rescue" events sound cool.

Shiny

Well, Tynan did say that A18 would bring new world quests...

Draconicrose

This would be a really cool idea! I would especially love being able to rescue my colonists. Imagine getting to the enemy base and suddenly having control of them back. The rescuers could be attacking the enemy while the captured colonists do their best to smack down a cell door or wall and start trouble from within!
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: Draconicrose on July 22, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
This would be a really cool idea! I would especially love being able to rescue my colonists. Imagine getting to the enemy base and suddenly having control of them back. The rescuers could be attacking the enemy while the captured colonists do their best to smack down a cell door or wall and start trouble from within!
I thought of that, but then wouldn't that risk your rescued colonist to sudden death, since they're unarmed?

Quote from: Toast on July 22, 2017, 01:46:48 PM
This all sounds great to me, *provided* that freed prisoners do not auto-join without the opportunity to refuse them. My colonists are happy to rescue the Luciferium addicted pyromaniac from captivity but he ain't going home with them.

But yes, "rescue" events sound cool.
Okay, I think I have a proper idea to rescue people.

To rescue someone from an enemy base, you would require either:

All enemy pawns and colonists be dead/destroyed, or
The enclosed prison cell/barracks to be open (i.e. destroy a door or wall around it)
[/list]
depending which one would be implemented.

Then, you can have the option to right-click interact with a prisoner and use an order to "Free" them (since they're supposed to be shackled, since they're prisoners). When freeing one of them, there will be a chance that this person will want to join your colony and a prompt will pop-up, asking OK or Refuse.

But I'm not so sure about this. I mean, we already have the chance to get random wanderers and colonists ancient cryptosleep caskets. You already sort of have a prompt to ancient caskset colonists by opening the casket. Same with these prisoners. You were the one who chose to free them. And people being rescued for someone else would be guaranteed to not join.

Names are for the Weak

How about after they're released, they either run away to safety or join you in the battle, and once it's over, one of the helpers offers to join your faction?

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: Names are for the Weak on July 22, 2017, 06:37:32 PM
How about after they're released, they either run away to safety or join you in the battle, and once it's over, one of the helpers offers to join your faction?
Again, it would be likely that they would get killed in battle if they try to break themselves out without our control.