[Mod Idea] Play as the story teller

Started by InfinityKage, July 20, 2017, 05:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfinityKage

I thought it might be cool to play as the storyteller. Basically just watch a A.I. controlled colony and spawn events to watch how they react. The main problem I can see with this is I don't know how in depth the game's A.I. is. I mean, will they make things they need? Like if they need a stove will they make it on their own? What about making their own farm, build their own rooms, etc. I guess this could be worked around by having you start with a fully functional and decked out colony that already has everything it needs to self sustain. Just tossing around an idea.

Canute

The part that you want be a storyteller is easy, enable dev mode and just throw in some incidents,spawn raiders etc.

But the other part is different. First you should need a clever AI for colonymanagment, which allready is a big challenge .
What rules should the colony follow, tribal cannibal, outlander farmer, pirate drugbaron ?

InfinityKage

Quote from: Canute on July 21, 2017, 04:50:37 AM
The part that you want be a storyteller is easy, enable dev mode and just throw in some incidents,spawn raiders etc.

But the other part is different. First you should need a clever AI for colonymanagment, which allready is a big challenge .
What rules should the colony follow, tribal cannibal, outlander farmer, pirate drugbaron ?

Yea. But using Dev mode to throw events at yourself does not seem quite as fun since it's you dealing with them. That being said you are right in that I don't think the A.I. of the game is powerful enough to run it's own colony and make decisions like that. I guess my idea is more of a pipe dream.

stigma

Cool idea but to be blunt it will never happen - because making an AI good enough to essentially play the game (in an interesting enough way to make it worth watching) would likely require better AI than the most advanced available in the world currently - and probably a neural network supercomputer of some sort.

What COULD work (but probably require a lot of work) would be to play the storyteller for another human player - and that sure could be interesting, at least for the main player. The storyteller might get a little bored. It would just need some sort of interface to push event commands over a network. That's very doable for sure, but since there is no framework for this it would be a major new feature to make from scratch. For simplicity's sake you could assume you were watching via stream.

Actually - this would probably be an incredible hit on twitch if the audience could participate - hilarious trolling ensures =P
Maybe you can pitch the idea to Tynan and see what he thinks?

-Stigma

Jaxxa

Quote from: stigma on July 21, 2017, 11:16:54 PM
What COULD work (but probably require a lot of work) would be to play the storyteller for another human player - and that sure could be interesting, at least for the main player. The storyteller might get a little bored. It would just need some sort of interface to push event commands over a network. That's very doable for sure, but since there is no framework for this it would be a major new feature to make from scratch. For simplicity's sake you could assume you were watching via stream.

Actually - this would probably be an incredible hit on twitch if the audience could participate - hilarious trolling ensures =P
Maybe you can pitch the idea to Tynan and see what he thinks?

-Stigma

Sounds interesting, I will add that to my list of mod ideas that probably will not ever happen.

Canute

Instead of an AI colony, why not playing storyteller for another playing user ?
The player storyteller sync with the other colony, but view only. And can launch all possible incidents and spawn things.
The colony generate incidents points over time depend on their wealth system, and these points the storyteller can use to start incidents. Ofcourse the storyteller can do some good things that increase the incidents too.

jimthenoob

Quote from: stigma on July 21, 2017, 11:16:54 PM
Cool idea but to be blunt it will never happen - because making an AI good enough to essentially play the game (in an interesting enough way to make it worth watching) would likely require better AI than the most advanced available in the world currently - and probably a neural network supercomputer of some sort....

not really, just out of our scope. AI to play rim world would be far less work then most real world applications, just good luck finding anyone to do it for free.