Machining makes most firearms useless

Started by SpaceDorf, July 24, 2017, 07:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cultist

Quote from: PotatoeTater on July 28, 2017, 12:52:26 PM
I've always wanted guns to be broken down into parts so you can manufacture each part then combine them together.

It would make weapon making a decent trade option and add diversity.

Good idea on paper, but with the way things stack in this game, I can see myself needing an entire warehouse just to store weapon parts... more clutter is the last thing this game needs, unless some major changes are made to how storage works.

sadpickle

Vanilla guns have no nuance. They're all magical ray-shooters with varying degrees of damage output and unlimited ammo. There's a whole history to firearm production that I hope Tynan will seriously consider modelling into vanilla, though mods seem more likely. Modern firearms are AMAZING inventions, but no one pulled a Taurus Judge out of the ground. They are the result of making and improving lots and lots of things that go boom.

I would like to see Machining pushed far down the tech tree. I would make it about 3x as hard to reach or so, I'm not sure. The progression from sword-and-spear tech to automatic breech-loading weaponry tech is broken. A new intermediary stage of firearm tech takes it's place. This tech allows the crafting of primitive hand-cannons and flintlock weapons at a smithy. Both are single-shot weapons with a LONG reload time. Ideally, they don't work outside in the rain (this may be too punishing for the new player, but sure makes for a good story). These are the guns most raiders will carry in your first year. It's not until you have some money that you start seeing modern firearms, besides the one you start with. Also bump the price of guns, especially to buy them.

SpaceDorf

I think that the guns have no nuances is untrue.

And forcing the player through the whole history of firearms is also the wrong way,
especially if you look at it from the min-maxing of individuals perspective like most players do.
Because it took quite a few steps until individual firearms were as good as their low tech counterpart.
The main difference in effectiveness until today is the length of training needed to become decently adept with the weapon.

Your approach would make sense for the tribal/civilisation/Age_of_Empires kind of campaign, which is, honestly, just a new idea which got slapped on ..

The base of the game is still industrial/space area people who land on a crappy mad-max world. They know stuff and can cobble together things which tribals lack the education for.

Because Education stands for : Thousands of years of experience and research broken down into useful information and sorted so you don't have to find out for yourself. Streamlined to the techlevel that surrounds you, mentioning but skipping most of the actual knowledge that was needed to reach this point.

I don't want to be historically acurate.
Rimworld is a Space Western, no History Simulation. Research, at least from the industrial techlevel point of view, is not finding out how the world works, but finding out how to get a known concept to work.

What I wish for is, that the given choice of modern weapons and the ability to reproduce them is more spread out over the research path instead of having that Chosen One  "I Know Kung-Fu" - Research.

Because that is one of the things that leads to the feeling that Vanilla Guns have no nuance.
With one strike you can built everything .. and of course you built only the best while ignoring the rest.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: sadpickle on July 28, 2017, 03:41:29 PMA new intermediary stage of firearm tech takes it's place. This tech allows the crafting of primitive hand-cannons and flintlock weapons at a smithy.
Good idea
QuoteBoth are single-shot weapons with a LONG reload time. Ideally, they don't work outside in the rain
I'll come back to that*
QuoteThese are the guns most raiders will carry in your first year[...]Also bump the price of guns, especially to buy them.
Already deliberately nerfed in the latest alphas, to prevent loadsamoney being made from 'farming' raids for weps

*/Trained/ troops in late c18/early c19 (ie Napoleonic wars & shortly after) could load & fire remarkably quickly** (cf Bernard Cornwall's well-researched Sharpe's books/films for fictional examples; factual examples you can easily google for). The innovation of greased cartridges (hence 'cartridge paper') made firearms less vulnerable (but not immune) to rain/damp conditions as well as decreasing reload time; rifled barrels, once understood, led to a drastic leap in accuracy (& therefore range) too.. but even trained flintlock musketeers could be very effective if deployed properly. Most line infantry 'musketeers' weren't trained at all: they were usually drafted by whatever means from farms etc. Lack of training was mostly due to ineffective officers: a political problem/mindset of the day that lasted until well after the disastrous WW1 trench charges :(

**A trained longbowman (great bow IG?) could fire at least 5x faster for almost the same dmg per shot (& better accuracy, plus slightly better range.. plus indirect fire (not implemented)), but it takes 10-20 years to train a longbowman to that lvl of skill, vs 1-2 years for a musketman.. which would you choose?
Dom 8-)

Jibbles

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 28, 2017, 06:10:03 PM
What I wish for is, that the given choice of modern weapons and the ability to reproduce them is more spread out over the research path instead of having that Chosen One  "I Know Kung-Fu" - Research.

When you say this, do you mean you want every gun to require research before being able to build them? Or is there more to it than that? Maybe I can make a mod to test it out if there's not already one available.

SpaceDorf

No .. but more spread out like I said in my first post.

At the moment it's

From Start : Crafting Short Bows, Clubs, Pilas,Shivs
Smithing    : Swords, Knifes, Long Bows ..
Electricity   :  Microelectronics -> Turrets; Multi-Analizer -> Charged Shot, Multi-Barreled Weapons   
                 : Machining  : All the guns, except two. -> Mortars

What I suggested was to put  Pistols, Shotguns and Bolt-Action Rifles  one step before Machining.
When you get the Electric Smithy.

Maybe some extra research for the longbow so it is not tied to smithing ..

No new Tier of Gunpowder Weapons or Historically Acurate Weapons, just a bit more stretched.

I am a bit undecided if Sniper Rifles should use Micro-Electronics as well to represent modern optics.

Stormfox

Quote from: cultist on July 28, 2017, 01:14:34 PM
Quote from: PotatoeTater on July 28, 2017, 12:52:26 PM
I've always wanted guns to be broken down into parts so you can manufacture each part then combine them together.

It would make weapon making a decent trade option and add diversity.

Good idea on paper, but with the way things stack in this game, I can see myself needing an entire warehouse just to store weapon parts... more clutter is the last thing this game needs, unless some major changes are made to how storage works.

While I agree with your principle, if weapons dropped "Weapon Parts" that were universal, like components, that would work with only one space.

BetaSpectre

We already have components just having dissassembled firearms give components would make sense. Even dropping only steel makes sense since steel can be crafted into parts.

Just think about how much effort it takes to reforge screws to fit?
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

SpaceDorf

Yeah, return the materials the weapon was made of based on the recipe ..
Steel, Plasteel, Components .. simple deconstruction.

To actually make a difference use some of the fancier materials in construction.

It would make sense for charge rifles and power armor to use some silver, gold and uranium.

Jake

There's actually a mod that splits weapon tech into several tiers: Unfortunately it seems to only be available through Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=936987539&searchtext=Weapon+Tech

SpaceDorf

Looks Interesting, thank you .. grenade crafting me likey.