How do you deal with addicts?

Started by BoogieMan, August 12, 2017, 01:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieMan

I'm getting very frustrated trying to cure some colonists of their addictions. They can waltz right through forbidden doors and walk outside of their allowed area. For some that's all it takes along with time. Others will repeatedly violate these restrictions go use drugs. Smokeleaf is a decent part of my economy so simply not having any isn't very feasible, and having otherwise valuable pawns move around super slow is troublesome. I had one that was working off two addictions and moved so slow that by the time she ate breakfast and did one or maybe two local tasks it was time for bed and she was hungry by the time she made it back to bed.

Imprisoning them is the only other thing I can think of. But dealing with them going berserk, causing prison escapes, and assaulting other prisoners sounds like trading one headache for another. I'm wondering if there is another solution I may have overlooked besides selling them or getting them killed which seems extreme.

I've tried:
Locking the door
Restricting their access to a specific area
Keeping their mood up with constant joy activities
Cryptosleep caskets

Only restricting access has occasionally helped and I believe chance was mostly the cause of that.

We need some security doors that only certain people have access to open.

realdead_man

I agree 100% that:  We need some security doors that only certain people have access to open

Let them rampage, jail them, then release

OR O.D. them.  lol

Zero tolerance for addicts at MY house.

SpaceDorf

I had good experiences with keeping them on a joy and light work schedule in a restricted zone.
Away from drugs, where there is plenty to eat and do.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

XeoNovaDan

One of the solutions that you've mentioned, imprisonment, is how I generally deal with my colony's addicts. I mean yeah, there is the mood hit of being imprisoned, but your imprisoned colonist won't be able to access any drugs unless you deliberately administer them.

As for the shenanigans with prison breaks, it's also better off just to put them in an isolated prison cell so if they do attempt to start a prison break, nobody else will jump on the bandwagon. Heck, you could even just repurpose that pawn's bedroom into a prison cell.

Headshotkill

Download the straightjacket from the call of chutulu mod. xD

A Friend

Chop their legs off and send them to the time out room until they get over their addiction.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

asanbr

Build a small house far away on the map and let them live there , too far away from anyone else.

Make sure they have food.

Wall in any drugs, I read that this will prevent them from taking them even on a binge.

I have done things like this with violent people who constantly mental break, and it would at least keep them away from hurting others.

Later on since I couldn't cure them, I ended up killing them since they didn't contribute. But with drugs the addiction will wear off so it should work better in this case.

Serenity

Toast

I think all the major "solutions" to the problem have been covered above, but it bears mentioning that the simplest solution is not to recruit addicts. I know, I've been there: you find a pawn with great traits and stats and you think "it's worth it, I can tough it out because they'll be so valuable when they're finally clean." But sometimes it just isn't.

When you're tempted to recruit an addict pawn, ask yourself if you have the resources and pawnpower to deal with someone who could potentially be dead weight for the better part of a year. Ask yourself if you could potentially deal with this pawn going on a severe mental break in the middle of a raid. Ask yourself if you can deal with the annoyance of micromanaging your drug supply (walling it in or doing without) for as long as it takes. Ask yourself, if this pawn got accidentally beaten to death during a prison break or a berserk episode, would it cause a bad mood spiral for the rest of the colony?

Sometimes it can still be worth it, if you're already in a strong position. But most of the time I find myself regretfully passing on skilled addicts because I've been down that road and I know it ends in me slamming my face on my desk.

cultist

Multiple addictions can actually be a benefit, as I recently learned. I thought I got a great pawn from a "refugee chased" event, until I heard the familiar click of a lighter, took a closer look at him and realized he was heavily addicted to both smokeleaf and wake-up. However, once he ran out of drugs, the multiple addictions kicking in dropped his manipulation and movement to 0, and he spent the next two seasons in bed (he even survived a flu outbreak), barely conscious. When he woke up, he'd kicked his smokeleaf addiction and was only a couple of days away from kicking the other one. Best junkie recruit ever.

BoogieMan

I didn't think separate prison cells worked? I tried that, I believe in A17. When a prison break was triggered all prisoners joined in. Even ones that were in a different holding area. Since it didn't worked I went back to one big holding room. It seemed easier to deal with them while they were clumped up trying to go down a single tile wide hallway. A couple solid melee fighters down at the end can 3 v 1 them quite effectively.

Guess I'll make a solitary medical prison room to keep them in and see how that goes. At least they'll be alone.

So basically the options are to deal with it, imprison them, or get rid of them. I was hoping I missed another solution but maybe not. Oh well, thanks for the feedback.

O Negative

Pretty sure there's a nifty new feature that allows you to induce a temporary medically-induced coma with a little bit of medicine; anesthetize.
Just suppress the pawn with that method until they've overcome their addiction(s).

Kubouch

mrofa's Clutter adds truly lockable doors. I haven't tested myself, yet.

sarke

Easiest way is to strip them down and send them after a bear with a knife. If they manage to wound the bear in the process you can send a hunter after it for a good meat bonus.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: O Negative on August 12, 2017, 05:10:20 PM
Pretty sure there's a nifty new feature that allows you to induce a temporary medically-induced coma with a little bit of medicine; anesthetize.
Just suppress the pawn with that method until they've overcome their addiction(s).
It's part of a mod, & it won't work in the way you think: coma (like cryptosleep) doesn't affect addiction reduction chances; it simply delays them :( Anaesthetise /may/ work, but a pawn under constant anaesthesia may 'break' to a coma (unknown time)
Dom 8-)