[1.1] RunAndGun

Started by Roolo, October 14, 2017, 02:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enemy pawns should be able to shoot while they are fleeing

Yes please! I would do the same if I were fleeing with a gun in my hands.
31 (73.8%)
No, let me have my revenge!
11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Roolo

Quote from: SalmonToastie on December 23, 2017, 05:44:55 AM
Quote from: Roolo on December 23, 2017, 05:22:31 AM
Quote from: SalmonToastie on December 23, 2017, 05:06:57 AM
So what exactly do you need for errors and stuff, what should I attach that can help you the most?

I think you posted most info on the other thread already. One more thing I would like to know is what version of RunAndGun you are using. The one on steam, or did you download it yourself? If it's not the one from steam, what version number does it have?

On the RunAndGun folder it is 0.17.1.8, is that the number you need?

Ok, so you're still playing Rimworld in A17? If so, I can't do much, as it's impossible for me to maintain all legacy versions. So if you want to get it working with Androids, you should update your Rimworld to B18, and install the B18 versions of your mods.

SalmonToastie

Quote from: Roolo on December 23, 2017, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: SalmonToastie on December 23, 2017, 05:44:55 AM
Quote from: Roolo on December 23, 2017, 05:22:31 AM
Quote from: SalmonToastie on December 23, 2017, 05:06:57 AM
So what exactly do you need for errors and stuff, what should I attach that can help you the most?

I think you posted most info on the other thread already. One more thing I would like to know is what version of RunAndGun you are using. The one on steam, or did you download it yourself? If it's not the one from steam, what version number does it have?

On the RunAndGun folder it is 0.17.1.8, is that the number you need?

Ok, so you're still playing Rimworld in A17? If so, I can't do much, as it's impossible for me to maintain all legacy versions. So if you want to get it working with Androids, you should update your Rimworld to B18, and install the B18 versions of your mods.

Actually I'm an idiot, my Rimworld started black screening and I've fixed that issue now, RunAndGun does indeed work with Androids in A17. The error message I was getting no longer shows now, could've been because it was loaded after a gun addition mod, I have no clue. Anyways, good mod and thanks for making it, it's one of the must add before play mods for me.

Salmon

Madman666

I am reasonably sure Run and Gun causes a crash if used on Linux upon raiders fleeing. Tested it without any mods but HugsLib and Run'n'Gun. Each time raiders try to flee you get a crash, so I assumed its tied to FleeAndGun feature, which worked fine in Windows. Setting flee and gun chance to 0% doesn't help as does disabling Run and Gun for AI checkbox. If it doesn't crash it causes red error, while some of raiders flee and others still attack. Here's the log: https://s17.postimg.org/iv5dwgx1b/bug.png

Since on Windows nothing of the sort happen, I assume you won't bother fixing it, but it might be worth mentioning that in your mods compatibility section. Probably yet another weird linux-unity thing.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on January 13, 2018, 05:20:30 PM
I am reasonably sure Run and Gun causes a crash if used on Linux upon raiders fleeing. Tested it without any mods but HugsLib and Run'n'Gun. Each time raiders try to flee you get a crash, so I assumed its tied to FleeAndGun feature, which worked fine in Windows. Setting flee and gun chance to 0% doesn't help as does disabling Run and Gun for AI checkbox. If it doesn't crash it causes red error, while some of raiders flee and others still attack. Here's the log: https://s17.postimg.org/iv5dwgx1b/bug.png

Since on Windows nothing of the sort happen, I assume you won't bother fixing it, but it might be worth mentioning that in your mods compatibility section. Probably yet another weird linux-unity thing.

Has using Linux fixed your RAM issues, will you continue to use it? Are you glad you started using it?

Madman666

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 14, 2018, 12:40:40 AM
Has using Linux fixed your RAM issues, will you continue to use it? Are you glad you started using it?

Yup, it did. Yup, I will. Yup, I am. Linux has a lot of issues, but you mostly can fix them with some googling. On Windows you have one issue - limited memory and you absolutely can't fix it, until RW 64 bit comes out.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on January 14, 2018, 05:24:55 AM
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 14, 2018, 12:40:40 AM

Yup, it did. Yup, I will. Yup, I am. Linux has a lot of issues, but you mostly can fix them with some googling. On Windows you have one issue - limited memory and you absolutely can't fix it, until RW 64 bit comes out.

Maybe we'll get 64 bit when we get Z levels! Hah, yeah right on the Z levels. I really just want to be able to build a deep dungeon. Combat can be 1 level only, I'm fine with that. I was thinking, you could kinda have a psuedo 2nd level, but it would be a very small map, essentially counting as a 2nd colony, have teleporters count as the "staircase" between levels, by having the teleports arranged in the same pattern as in your base, essentially connecting them to different "levels." Of course it would have to be a custom map, with no map edges or anything for animals or plants, and I don't know what you could allow for the floor besides player built floors, maybe stone if is a basement. Of course no lights or anything from sun or weather, either.

Madman666

Well there won't be a z level, thats pretty much a guarantee. T mentioned that with RW in Beta its nearing its 1.0 he won't be adding anymore game changing mechanics, so that means he'll concentrate on polishing, optimizing and all that magic stuff. Multicore support is probably as unreal as z level, but 64 bit on the other hand might still be possible. I'd prefer to have 64 bit on Windows, as that saves me from having to deal with Linux related problems, while having all the memory I need, but for now Linux version is enough to tide me over. I guess I just won't be running and gunning. Until I understand what the hell is wrong.

UPD: Also found a discussion on Steam page of RunAndGun about exactly my problem - it was already discussed, so I sorry for flooding the thread, I guess all I can try is having RunAndGun as high as possible in the mod load order... Weird.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on January 14, 2018, 05:54:50 AM
UPD: Also found a discussion on Steam page of RunAndGun about exactly my problem - it was already discussed, so I sorry for flooding the thread, I guess all I can try is having RunAndGun as high as possible in the mod load order... Weird.

So you have it working with Linux now? And you fixed the color issues?

Roolo

Thanks for reporting Madman666. I wasn't aware fleeing has anything to do with the crash. Are you really sure the crashes only happen for you when pawns start fleeing? If so, this could help me track down the code that triggers the crash (which still seems to be a base game - issue, but triggered by my mod).

I'm also curious if adding RunAndGun as high as possible in the load order fixed the issue for you.

Madman666

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 14, 2018, 06:50:31 AM
So you have it working with Linux now? And you fixed the color issues?

Nah, still crashes. Every other mod I use works fine, but Run and Gun still causes CTDs when raiders flee. Apparently its something either in vanilla game, or unity-linux interaction or something. Way over my noob head. So I guess I'll run without RunAndGun on Linux for now. Shame, but more memory to play with still worth it.

I did fix the overlay color issues though.

Quote from: Roolo on January 14, 2018, 07:40:30 AM
Thanks for reporting Madman666. I wasn't aware fleeing has anything to do with the crash. Are you really sure the crashes only happen for you when pawns start fleeing? If so, this could help me track down the code that triggers the crash (which still seems to be a base game - issue, but triggered by my mod).

I'm also curious if adding RunAndGun as high as possible in the load order fixed the issue for you.

Unfortunately I don't see any change even when I set RnG right after HugsLib. Still crashes.

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on January 14, 2018, 08:16:59 AM
Unfortunately I don't see any change even when I set RnG right after HugsLib. Still crashes.

Ok, well I'm afraid there's nothing else we can do but hope and wait until the Linux version of Rimworld is stabilized a bit more. I tried reproducing your issue on my Ubuntu machine, and got the same error. However, in my case it didn't result in any crashes (in a save with only RunAndGun and Hugslib as mods). As the error is thrown in the core game, there's really not much I can do unfortunately.

Madman666

Quote from: Roolo on January 14, 2018, 10:00:57 AM
Ok, well I'm afraid there's nothing else we can do but hope and wait until the Linux version of Rimworld is stabilized a bit more. I tried reproducing your issue on my Ubuntu machine, and got the same error. However, in my case it didn't result in any crashes (in a save with only RunAndGun and Hugslib as mods). As the error is thrown in the core game, there's really not much I can do unfortunately.

Yeah, figured as much. I know one thing - if it worked on A17, works on B18 Windows, but refuses to work on B18 Linux that means B18 for Linux is still raw and faulty. Thank you for your time investigating anyway. I like Run And Gun, but 3.5 Gb RAM Windows lets you have to play RW is really not enough, so I'll have to play without RnG for now. What i really hope is that there won't be any more similarly weird errors with other assembly using mods I play with. If it happened to one mod, it might happen to other ones(

Roolo

Update (now v0.18.3.2)
- Made RunAndGun compatible with the Animal Range Attack mod: animals can now use their ranged attack while moving.
- Fixed problem with weapon selector that occurred when other mods add weapons without any graphics data.

BrokenValkyrie

Thanks for supporting my mod. Run and gun works well with giddy up and range animal mod, but I am unable to get it work with just run and gun and range animal mod. Man hunter and tame animal don't "run gun" unless ridden with giddy up.

If there anything that I can do on my end let me know.

My latest update changed verb selection process.

Roolo

Quote from: BrokenValkyrie on January 22, 2018, 08:36:35 PM
Thanks for supporting my mod. Run and gun works well with giddy up and range animal mod, but I am unable to get it work with just run and gun and range animal mod. Man hunter and tame animal don't "run gun" unless ridden with giddy up.

If there anything that I can do on my end let me know.

My latest update changed verb selection process.

Thank for reporting this. I just tested this thoroughly and found out that the animals do actually use RunAndGun, but rarely. Animal pawns have the same AI tactic as mechanoids: they run into range, and if in range, they stop moving and keep firing on target in range. They only start moving again when no targets are in range. This differs from humanlike pawns, which constantly have move orders within enemy range in search for cover, or when fleeing, giving them plenty of opportunities to shoot while moving, as opposed to animals (they do not search for cover or flee). In rare cases, animals will still RunAndGun. For instance when you release an animal, while multiple animals are already in range, it'll probably have a move order within enemy range, for long enough to use RunAndGun (you can test this out yourself).

So the only way how to make RunAndGun happen more often, is changing the way animals with range attack move, but that's probably beyond the purpose of your mod.

Edit: Hmm, now that I think of it, it might be interesting if I change the AI move tactics for mechanoids in the following way, and I might as well do it for animals. I could give mechs/animals a certain chance (say 40%) that they don't use the default movement behaviour, but instead attempt to move into melee range if possible. This would give them plenty of opportunities to RunAndGun, and they even would chase down retreating pawns while running and gunning. I don't want to touch the vanilla AI behaviour too much, but this change would make sense I think. However, I have plenty of other things for the coming time. So it'll probably take some time until this is implemented (if implemented at all).