What size of map everyone playing?

Started by Mutineer, October 20, 2017, 04:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutineer

I generated default map and play for a bit. I see it as a problem the fact that my base already takes 1/4 of the map. It was large hills map, so not so match mountains and I already dig a lot for chanks and minerals. Do not think any left on the map.

So, I wonder what size of map most find most fun why not create too much lag?

Andy_Dandy

Don't remember the excact categorisation right now, but if it was small/medium/large/extra large, then I play on the largest of the two alternatives on large map. The smallest of the large-maps are also OK.

I find those smaller ones all to small like yourself.

Mkok

yep, not the largest size, but somewhat larger maps. Last time I played on normal size map, I had to cover half the map with power plants just to have enough electricity   :-[

Albion

I usually play on the default mapsize or sometimes one bigger. My colony gets pretty big after a while too but I think it's alright.

If you mined all the mountains and resources you can always settle a second map tile next to your colony and therefore create a resource colony. Just increase the number of colonies in the options menu and you're good to go.

Keep in mind that creating a second colony and/or playing on a larger map will negatively impact your performance and you will eventually experience lag since the game has to calculate to many things and can't keep up with the game speed.

Nameless

I play 225x225 just in hopes that it won't lag the game as much as it already does when I reach a certain point.

kubolek01

200x200 and up. The bigger the laggier!
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Rearden

I like the second largest map size. Gives lots of space for events to occur in and potentially go wrong. It also makes escape pods tough if they land out in the middle of nowhere.

I've finally hit the point where it doesn't behave great during raids. performance on ludeonicrous is generally quite good considering the massive map.

Yoshida Keiji

I'm playing 400x400, the max size available.

I play while editing the wiki every time I find something that hasn't been written about yet, and I can feel a computer delay between switching from the game and safari, while in the default size the switch is instant.

In-game, every now and then I can see my pawns walking and then doing a small pull back like if a ghost was pulling his shirt from behind.

Speed x3 is okay if everybody is in morning shift but if you have double shifts it slows down to the point its best to look in x2.

In any Ludeonicrous map you always get two ancient shrines. A lot more steam geysers, but I never use more than one in any game so that doesn't mean much to me, unless maybe in ice sheet. You get a slight more time to prepare vs raids as enemies have to travel more, but not much.

Between elevation types. I don't play mountainous, as I don't like the idea of hiding that much. But I don't play flat so that I don't lose the mining, unless maybe making it my own personal restrictions for more challenge. Coastal and rivers are only aesthetic with no real game experience effect except for maybe large marsh areas that can be used as moats. If only we could fish...

In 400x400 every time you get an escape pod at the map borders you have to unassigned medical beds to normal beds so that you can create a medical sleeping spot to treat the wounds at the crash site as they may not survive the journey back home. In this map I have ancient asphalt road but maybe because it's tropical forest or not but pawn pathing is horrible to the point most of the time the colonists walk anywhere but on them... I get it, they are broken by time, but I think they were meant to speed up the pace somehow. If only we could re-install those ancient concrete barriers and lampposts...

mebe

I tend to play the largest or one down, more resources, more time to prepare for events. I am lucky that i dont seem to suffer lag/slowdowns that others complain of except in thte most extreme circumstances (like 100 alphabeavers decide to chew on your wood)

nameless1

A screen with the options:
In my next playthrough I want to try the 300*300:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/858359367577842157/1340E6C5D20B60F61705243E4A531BB8AB5678C4/

PS: are the performance drops linked to the fact that RM isn't multi-threaded?

ArguedPiano

I find the default map size a little too small.
Usually play on 1 or 2 sizes up.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Limdood

i play minimum, I hate the RNG of a raid suddenly "appearing" between a hunter or hauler and home.  I'm don't like having the game just decide "that pawn is dead"

plus hauling, hunting, map upkeep are all easier on the smallest maps.  My bases hold 12-20 pawns and barely take up 1/4 of the smallest maps...if that.

ColonistGirl

I tend to play on the largest map size, as I enjoy having tons of space to work with, and the game doesn't lag until I get a TON of people on the map at once (late-game raids with 100+ members), or there's a huge fire. Lately I've been playing with ice sheet/extreme desert maps though, so no fires to be had.

My current extreme desert is pretty fun, though it's definitely a challenge to keep the colony from overheating when the temp outside the door is pushing 230F.

Call me Arty

325x325. Don't want lag, do want the room to breath and collect resources.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

sadpickle

I've run largest size with 16 colonists and dozens of animals on screen and it definitely chugs a bit when zoomed out. I usually go with second-largest now to avoid that. Any smaller is way too small. I feel there's just too much content in the game now for smaller sizes to work. I like having some distance between the map edge and my walls.