Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calahan

@ Rimrue + Wanderer_Joins - I've used quotes from your posts as a basis of a bug report regarding the refugees having no legs. If you have any extra info that you think might be pertinent then please post it on the bug thread https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36393.0

+@ Rimrue - I've linked and quoted that report on Steam as well, so thanks for the heads-up on that one.

PhantomFav

Banished and died colonists have the same Mood Effect (-3) and Expiration (6 days) ... I think if someone dies, isn't the same as someone who goes away :D

...and if a pawn is banished, the RIVALS PAWNS are sad like the others (although if a rival dies, the pawn are happy) ;D

The game needs a thing like this:
"My rival NAME banished 10"

EDIT:
And while the veils have all different colors, the masks are all the same (very boring :/ )

P.S. Why isn't possible craft them with the Crafting spot?

Daimonin

QuoteP.S. Why isn't possible craft them with the Crafting spot?

I can craft both veil and mask and headdress at crafting spot no problem....?

Just had a toxic fallout in a temperate swamp. All the trees dying made me sad, mostly because I liked having the clear dense forest to expand. The fallout doing it for me... well it made expanding easier, but I wish the rate of tree destruction during fallout was reduced so forests remain forests.

TheMeInTeam

Don't forget you can gun down boom animals in swamps too, achieving a similar clearing effect.  Maybe those shouldn't be there?  The fire can be threatening too I guess.

Daimonin

Eh I don't mind fire so much, it's a danger, and only clears out the areas on fire. AKA you could potentially use a fire on purpose to clear land for growing/building. But the toxic fallout pretty much clears out the trees, while not being a major threat in it's own right. Quite frankly, an early game toxic fallout seems like a boon more then anything because its rather safely removes most of the foliage.

Dashthechinchilla

So cargo pods are now basically grenades bearing gifts?

eadras

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on October 26, 2017, 10:47:44 PM
So cargo pods are now basically grenades bearing gifts?
Seems that way.  I saw a cargo pod land on a boomrat, which exploded and started a fire, which grew into a raging inferno that consumed all of the "gifts" and then some.   :D

Other than that, I'm enjoying the new tribal flavor, and looking forward to the first tornado of doom. 

Daimonin

Just had a tornado rip diagonally across my village. Started at the hospital, then walked through my workshop and storeroom.

Two injured, now with infections because the hospital is in ruins, a bunch of my carefully hoarded resources that I can't use yet but was saving for when I can gone... This feels like a rather literal version of "Rocks fall; Everybody dies."

I guess it does add to the story, of a tornado ripping across the town and all but.... it also feels weird the tornado is so localized and rather short lived. Maybe if the tornados only formed at the edge of the map, and travelled in a more or less straight line to a spot on another edge?

That way it's less "Magic tornado over village" and more "Tornado passed through region"? Also gives a chance to DO something about it like move valuables.

Tynan

Updating now to build 0.18.1704.

This build addresses various reported and unreported problems including cave size, tornadoes destroying mountains, massive thrumbo herds, and much more technical stuff.

Some things are still to be addressed. Big things still to work on: Tornado strength balance, refugees lacking legs all the time.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

PhantomFav

QuoteI can craft both veil and mask and headdress at crafting spot no problem....?
You are right. Veils and masks are available only with the tribe scenario.

Ok, here my feedbacks for the new features (English isn't my native language, sorry!):

-I was wrong, the Healer Mech Serum (HMS) is administrable to downed paws, but as an operation. It will be more easy if it can be administred in the same way as the Resurrect Mech Serum (RMS).

-Before using the HMS, peg leg, jaw denture or other prosthetics shall be removed to regrows the lacking part. I have found it in the hardest way. Need more instruction in "View more information about this object."

-When a RMS is used, the Mood Effects "My friend/lover/fiance/husband NAME died" and "Witnessed ally's death" are still on for quadrums, even if the sad pawn "Get Some Lovin'" from the dead lover: CREEEEEPY!!!! (Is necrophilia a new feature of Rimworld? XD)

-New cargo pods explosion? For me is ok. Cargo pods are the last resource of a sinking spaceship. They simply do a very bad emergency landing. The refugee from the pods now have a very good reason to be badly injured.

OVERPOWERED ITEMS:
The RMS and the new orbital weapons are too OP.

-RMS isn't fair, it take completely off the drama from Rimworld. Try to read this:

"The dwarf was dead, his family and his friends were crying.
But dropping in, unannounced, the Mage said <I know a very rare spell that can resurrect him, but I can use it only one time in a lifetime.>
The spell worked properly, the dwarf resurrected, and they lived happily ever after.
The End"

This is a trash ending (a Deus Ex-Machina ending...) XD
To stick better with the storytelling and with the Hard Sci-Fi world of Rimword, the RMS need more side effects; you can literally resurrect a skeleton with only a brain scar and blindness? This is magic, not science (neither Wolverine have such power, and he is a comic super hero!!). The brain cells irreversibly die in few minutes after death, so her my 2cents.
You can resurrect a pawn BUT, because of the brain damage:
--It loses some experience from the Skills;
--It forgets some of its social relationships (friendship, loving etc.);
--The other pawns have a durable negative Mood Effect like "My friend NAME is changed" or "My lover doesn't recognize me".
I think this suggestions add more things to the storytelling of a colony.

-The orbital weapons are less OP if they can be used only in a certain period of the day. The satellites complete their travel around the word in few hours, so it will be more interesting, and realistic, if their weapons aren't always available. Yes, there are the geostationary satellites, but you are very lucky if this happen on your base.

BONUS SUGGESTION
The Storyteller should send meteorites in you area more often in a non-mountain area and in the late game phase when the ores are ended.

This post was so long that while i was writing it, a new build was released. All my suggestion are for the 0.18.1700!

THX Tynan for your work :)

Alenerel

About resurrection serum, it should automatically regrow parts over things like wooden legs or prosthetic without you having to remove them, but not the bionics.

How much time can pass before you administer it? Before rotting? Can it be stored in a freezer the corpse so you can save it forever? Or in crypto chamber?

ReZpawner

So, concerning the masks... They look like paper bags, shouldn't they remove the "ugly" trait? That would make them actually useful - and hillarious.

PhantomFav

Quote from: Alenerel on October 27, 2017, 04:41:50 AM
How much time can pass before you administer it? Before rotting? Can it be stored in a freezer the corpse so you can save it forever? Or in crypto chamber?

Every corpse can be administer with the resurrector in every state of preservation (even if it is just a skeleton). The rotting influences only the side effects after the reanimation (brain scar or blindness).
The freezer prevents indefinitely the rooting, so after the administration, your colonist will be good as new.
The cryptosleep doesn't allow you to put in a corpse; only non-downed and non-dead pawns can enter into it.

BlueTressym

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 24, 2017, 05:51:11 AM
If I'm picking your brain right, I think you want players to experience stories. Correct? Then as a Lost Tribe exclusive player, I would like to get a "Virgin" planet. Maybe not entirely but,... all region names are already given. I think it would be more awesome if names are given by the factions "after" encountering said regions and naming them accordingly based on their colony experiences.

Personally, I would love to start at a Virgin region and as I send out caravans to either trade or expand into 5 outposts total, be able to "name" them based on "my" story.
This!

I do have some serious concerns about the new mental breaks.  As has been mentioned, from my point of view it will make travelling feel even less appealing.  Caravanning is incredibly bad for mood as it stands, so having more mental breaks, with no real chance to prevent them because the resources you might use if 'at home' aren't available, sounds terrible. 

I got the impression that putting in extra stuff to do by travelling - quests etc - was meant to encourage us to travel but I feel that travelling is simply too ruinous to colonists to be worthwhile unless changes for A18 include ways to stop travel from always wrecking mood.  There is simply no way I'd contemplate sending a caravan in A18 with the risk that mental breaks could now cause even more horrific effects that I have no way to prevent and no way to stop or mitigate. 

Nope, staying home, thanks. 

lighthoof

IMO, both resurection serum and healing one should be based on luciferium mechanites and infect a pawn with them. Seems logical to me that those are advanced versions of luciferium