[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightsCross

@Justin C
Hi! i cant seem to find the timer you're talking about
and i dont even know how to trigger them? is it in the assemblies .Dll?
im not really good with those and i dont know a thing about em'

Justin C

Quote from: KnightsCross on September 11, 2014, 01:30:19 AM
@Justin C
Hi! i cant seem to find the timer you're talking about
and i dont even know how to trigger them? is it in the assemblies .Dll?
im not really good with those and i dont know a thing about em'

Sorry, I should have been more specific. In the XML alone you won't be able to make timed raids. At best you can turn up the chance of the raids, but that still doesn't give you any control over when they happen. What you are asking will have to be done in C#.

KnightsCross

@Justin C
soo uh what program should i use with C#? .net framework?
and does it have to do with the .dll?

Justin C

Quote from: KnightsCross on September 11, 2014, 02:33:19 AM
@Justin C
soo uh what program should i use with C#? .net framework?
and does it have to do with the .dll?
Visual Studio Express and MonoDevelop are free and will get the job done. Google will be enough to learn basically anything you need to know about C#.

If you have no programming experience at all, there is far more you will need to know about C# and programming in general than I can teach you here. I'd suggest learning the basics first and writing simpler applications before attempting to mod.

thefinn

Suggestion:

Now you have the mod working pretty well, it could probably do with some fine tuning, like more configurability, but the basics work well.

I think you need a premise for the mod, like a story component ;)

Like, right now you just kinda go "Zombies, yes have some zombies".

What I mean is something like..

Have no zombies and no infection at the start, add a new faction to the game alongside the other factions.

Some time after the player builds the radio transmitter, they get a call from this faction saying there's been an outbreak in their camp. Then a while after that they go off the air never to be heard of again. Then the infection starts.

I'm sure yourself and others could come up with a lot of other ideas too ;).

It could still be premature too, I realise you're in 0.7 of the mod and the game itself might not be far enough along to rely on rimworld not changing certain aspects and thus breaking the mod too much in the future.

Edit
: I'd also like an option to not get notified someone is bitten and is infected - more fun.

Justin C

Quote from: thefinn on September 12, 2014, 02:22:07 PM
Suggestion:

Now you have the mod working pretty well, it could probably do with some fine tuning, like more configurability, but the basics work well.

I think you need a premise for the mod, like a story component ;)

Like, right now you just kinda go "Zombies, yes have some zombies".

What I mean is something like..

Have no zombies and no infection at the start, add a new faction to the game alongside the other factions.

Some time after the player builds the radio transmitter, they get a call from this faction saying there's been an outbreak in their camp. Then a while after that they go off the air never to be heard of again. Then the infection starts.

I'm sure yourself and others could come up with a lot of other ideas too ;).

It could still be premature too, I realise you're in 0.7 of the mod and the game itself might not be far enough along to rely on rimworld not changing certain aspects and thus breaking the mod too much in the future.

Edit
: I'd also like an option to not get notified someone is bitten and is infected - more fun.
I don't see storyline as being all that important right now. I'll have some basic storyline and some special storyline events later on, but they are low on my list. Configuration is another thing that will happen in the future, but it's also pretty low on the list right now. Once I have configuration in the mod I will definitely have some basic difficulty settings and stuff like that.

Every single new release breaks my mod quite a bit. I pretty much plan on needing at least 20-30 hours to prepare the mod for each new Alpha release, so I am not really worried about which parts of the mod will be broken by future updates. It's going to happen regardless.

I intend to keep updating the mod every single month until it is released, which means I am in this for the long haul. For now I'm just taking things slow and making sure everyone is happy with the current iteration before I go making any major changes.

For those who have been playing with v. 0.7.1, what do you guys think of the new changes? Does the ramp up of hoard sizes work well? Do you think the frequency of raids is good where it is? Is there any difficulty setting that seems to difficult/easy or where the raids happen too often or not often enough? It's really difficult for me to tell, since I can really only judge it based on my own skill level and play style.

xXChrizzelXx

Hello everybody,

This mod sounds wonderfull.. but not for me.. I dont know why i cant play it. Not a single Zombie in 20 Days  :(
I created tons of new WORLDS  and Colos...  I deactivated all other mods too.. still dont work for me :(

This is how I play:
Language: German (btw sorry for my bad english..)
Cassandra Classic
Highest Difficult

Aktiv Mods:
Blast Charges
Core

I need help pls.. I really wanna try this mod out..

Justin C

Quote from: xXChrizzelXx on September 15, 2014, 01:38:59 PM
Hello everybody,

This mod sounds wonderfull.. but not for me.. I dont know why i cant play it. Not a single Zombie in 20 Days  :(
I created tons of new WORLDS  and Colos...  I deactivated all other mods too.. still dont work for me :(

This is how I play:
Cassandra Classic
Highest Difficult

Aktiv Mods:
Blast Charges
Core

When you look at the bottom right of the screen does it say "Zombie Virus Active"?

Play it for another couple weeks and see if they show up. The maximum time between raids on the highest difficulties should be 21 days.

thefinn

Quote from: Justin C on September 14, 2014, 11:51:00 AM
I don't see storyline as being all that important right now. I'll have some basic storyline and some special storyline events later on, but they are low on my list. Configuration is another thing that will happen in the future, but it's also pretty low on the list right now. Once I have configuration in the mod I will definitely have some basic difficulty settings and stuff like that.

Every single new release breaks my mod quite a bit. I pretty much plan on needing at least 20-30 hours to prepare the mod for each new Alpha release, so I am not really worried about which parts of the mod will be broken by future updates. It's going to happen regardless.

I intend to keep updating the mod every single month until it is released, which means I am in this for the long haul. For now I'm just taking things slow and making sure everyone is happy with the current iteration before I go making any major changes.

For those who have been playing with v. 0.7.1, what do you guys think of the new changes? Does the ramp up of hoard sizes work well? Do you think the frequency of raids is good where it is? Is there any difficulty setting that seems to difficult/easy or where the raids happen too often or not often enough? It's really difficult for me to tell, since I can really only judge it based on my own skill level and play style.

Honestly, I really think the mod is almost a must-have. It's something you can easily take out if you want a vanilla playthrough, but vanilla is pretty easy even at higher settings sometimes too. This puts constant pressure and "no-go" zones throughout the game.

The only change I'd make is making the "alert" that someone's bitten configurable to turn off - so you know someone might've been bitten, but no idea if they are infected or not. This means you have to seclude them or have a special area for people who might be infected or just take the chance and hope. (Probably make this configurable for people that wouldn't want it).

Keeping your colony alive forever I am not sure is entirely the goal with RW. On the dwarf fortress page they have a good link for Fun which I think still holds pretty true for RW.

Making things hard is cool, but letting people start well and invest themselves in their colonists a bit is also part of the fun - which you did I think in that last update - it's much more playable with TTM now.

I for one really have fun with this mod (getting rid of corpses can be an issue at times ;)).

One game I had to close the blast door to play some "catch up" with my colonists because some were hurt, and we had hardly any food. By the time I got it open again there must've been between 50-100 zombies on screen.

I started to open the blast doors and had ample turrets shooting at them in groups, then I'd close the blast doors as they started to overrun the defences. Then  the blast door got damaged enough by the turrets and jammed when I tried to close it.

Sam the engineer ran over to it to try and repair it, but got overwhelmed by zombies and bitten. Finally got it repaired, closed the door, and sam turned and basically bit/killed everyone.

Was fun.

xXChrizzelXx

Quote from: Justin C on September 15, 2014, 04:35:35 PM
Hello everybody,

This is how I play:
Cassandra Classic
Highest Difficult

Aktiv Mods:
Blast Charges
Core

When you look at the bottom right of the screen does it say "Zombie Virus Active"?

Play it for another couple weeks and see if they show up. The maximum time between raids on the highest difficulties should be 21 days.

No nothing like that show up :(  have to Work now  coming back later.

Edit: Still not showing up any idears ?

How this mod works? I see another "outlander" faction tht shouldnt be there i think.. playing for 30 days now.. do they get infected first and raid me ? Im confused and running out of Idears....

Justin C

Quote from: xXChrizzelXx on September 16, 2014, 12:00:26 AM
Hello everybody,

This is how I play:
Cassandra Classic
Highest Difficult

Aktiv Mods:
Blast Charges
Core

How this mod works? I see another "outlander" faction tht shouldnt be there i think.. playing for 30 days now.. do they get infected first and raid me ? Im confused and running out of Idears....
If it doesn't say "Zombie Virus Active" then you did something wrong when setting up the mod.

Make sure the mod is in the Mods folder. Then make sure it has been enabled in the "Mods" menu.

After you enable the mod, go and create a new world. Then start a new colony on the new world. In the beginning the colonists will fall from the sky. As soon as they appear "Zombie Virus Active" should show up right where it tells you the weather. That means the mod is properly working.

skullywag

Quote from: xXChrizzelXx on September 16, 2014, 12:00:26 AM
Hello everybody,

This is how I play:
Cassandra Classic
Highest Difficult

Aktiv Mods:
Blast Charges
Core

Make sure you didnt put the mod in a folder..in a folder..in /mods, youll still be able to enable in the menu it but it wont do anything, if you did, move the mod up one level.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

BetaSpectre

The mod doesn't seem to work for me on the easiest callie. I haven't tried other story tellers but I used the Dev mode to try to force a zombie event nothing happened.

There's a little thingy that said that the mod is active though.

I'm thinking there's a mod conflict or maybe the mod isn't fully compatible with Alpha 6. I just D/L'd like 10 mods.

I would have assumed that it would be the WW1 mod but I've heard that this mod is compatible. Maybe Project Armory? Clutter? Or Misc has some conflict?
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Iwillbenicetou

One, do the Common Steps for mods that create factions, two, if that doesn't work, then try fiddling around, maybe download it again.

I'm going to add a manual for mods that add factions :)
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!