Visitors entering buildings where people sleep.

Started by Ret0urH0lland, October 26, 2017, 07:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ret0urH0lland

Dont know if anyone has noticed this, but when i have visitors over they wil sometimes enter rooms where people are sleeping.
Maybe it is a good idea to have them stay away from there cause of the negative effect of disturb sleep.
Is there already a way to do this or could this maybe be added to the game ?

jchavezriva

This has been a huge pain for all the rimworld community for a long while. There is no way around it without mods. Perhaps tynan will do something about it on next alpha, but that would be around february at best.

Nameless

Yeah you will need hospitality mod otherwise they keep pissing off my sleeping pawns and make everyone unhappy the whole day.

eadras

At one point I had a screenshot (can't find it now) of a random visitor standing in my newlywed couple's bedroom while they were "lovin'".  He walked right up to the bed and stood there staring at them.

...awkward

But yeah, this has long been an issue, along with caravans pathing back and forth over killbox traps, and pack animals making a beeline for your devilstrand fields.

Mutineer

Well, to be true it is realistic. you do not know what kind of creeps come to visit your colony in a middle of nowhere.

Bolgfred

There should be a trade zone restriction, like home zone, where one can decide where traders are allowed to walk and where not, combined with a deicated trading area. I am commonly pretty pissed when a whole caravan party heads into my dining room, foloowed by all of their 5 camels, ruining the beautiful cleaniness of my homestead.
Beyond that, there could be thieves in a carawan, which ignore these, taking random stuff from your colony.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

fatm3l

Just install hospitality. You can set where your guest can go

Yoshida Keiji

I completely agree that caravan behavior is way too stupid, and that there is need of a designated location. To avoid black ops exploit, it cannot be an assigned spot like the caravan spot, or else players could abuse this by making traders meat shields. Already a common use even without selecting a specific tile. So the alternative would be a safe room. Now the player effort into dedicating a space within their colony must be rewarded somehow, maybe in frequency due to hospitality. They receive us well, so lets go there more often.

One common problem I have besides strangers interrupting the sleep of my people is that their animals will feast on my crops when there's grass not that far away from where they decided to stay.

So far I have never attacked a trader when two of their people enter berserk and don't know if attacking will penalize my relations, but I can't understand why traders can't just move away instead of shooting to death my colonists. That should actually allow the player to take revenge on them for killing my people, without me losing relation points. They would need to apologize and somehow compensate the loss.

Specially if the Berserk mental break was caused by their own disturbance of sleep x4 to my people.

dkmoo

If you play only vanilla like me, I read somewhere that if you put a turret  or mortars in your "yard" they have a higher chance of gathering around there?

I haven't really tried this or mind their stupid wondering much. usually they like to hang out in my trap maze and end up springing them and turn hostile on me. Since the amount of "trade" they bring was nerfed in last alpha, i didn't really care that they all turned hostile on me. more dead bodies for my kibbles.

jamaicancastle

I found that if I put a table (with chairs) somewhere out of the way in my base, but not in any buildings, traders tend to congregate there and only wander in that general area. Might just be a fluke, though.

Aerial

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 27, 2017, 11:03:17 AM
I completely agree that caravan behavior is way too stupid, and that there is need of a designated location. To avoid black ops exploit, it cannot be an assigned spot like the caravan spot, or else players could abuse this by making traders meat shields.

I had forgotten how irritating the vanilla caravans are.  The Hospitality mod, IMO, is indispensable.  Until Hospitality is updated, I'm probably just going to turn off caravans in the scenario editor (I think I can do that) because no caravans is preferable to dealing with them.

I don't see why assigning an allowed area for a caravan is a bad idea.  If an entire caravan is slaughtered (or your reputation drops below a certain threshold not easily reached except by killing a lot of their members), maybe their faction strikes up a deal with some other faction and has your colony bombarded from space, or they launch one mortar shell at your base for each caravan member killed or imprisoned, etc.  I'm confident retribution would be a common part of the political system on a Rimworld.

But what about the caravan caught out in the open by a pack of manhunting squirrels?  Or the caravan that arrives in summer wear during a massive cold spell and freezes to death before they get to you? 

Hospitality has added the ability for caravans to ask if you can protect them before entering a map tile with dangerous conditions (heat/cold/fire), so the latter can easily be solved.  For the former... maybe the reputation loss with the faction is reduced by 1/2 - 2/3 if the caravan member deaths occur due to manhunting animals?  Yes, someone could still use an animal pulser, but they'd have to find and buy one first so it's not likely they could get more than one caravan that way.

Honestly, Tynan should have fixed vistor/visiting caravan behavior a long time ago.

Canute

QuoteI had forgotten how irritating the vanilla caravans are.  The Hospitality mod, IMO, is indispensable.  Until Hospitality is updated, I'm probably just going to turn off caravans in the scenario editor (I think I can do that) because no caravans is preferable to dealing with them.
I don't know what game you play.
But at Rimworld the Hospitality mod don't change anything with caravans.
Hospitality is only for visitors.

If you want change anything to caravans, maybe you look for Trading spot mod
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33669.0

Aerial

Quote from: Canute on October 30, 2017, 10:05:10 AM
QuoteI had forgotten how irritating the vanilla caravans are.  The Hospitality mod, IMO, is indispensable.  Until Hospitality is updated, I'm probably just going to turn off caravans in the scenario editor (I think I can do that) because no caravans is preferable to dealing with them.
I don't know what game you play.
But at Rimworld the Hospitality mod don't change anything with caravans.
Hospitality is only for visitors.

Trade caravans that come to your map - the original caravans.  Not the caravans your pawns form to go elsewhere.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: dkmoo on October 29, 2017, 03:04:00 PM
If you play only vanilla like me, I read somewhere that if you put a turret  or mortars in your "yard" they have a higher chance of gathering around there?

I haven't really tried this or mind their stupid wondering much. usually they like to hang out in my trap maze and end up springing them and turn hostile on me. Since the amount of "trade" they bring was nerfed in last alpha, i didn't really care that they all turned hostile on me. more dead bodies for my kibbles.

If you build a checkerboard trap pattern and don't have the trading spot mod, there is a high chance they will pace back and for inside it, even if it's nowhere near your stockpiles or any other valid location a caravan might prefer if it had sense.

I'm just save scumming the rare trap trigger until the bug is fixed or I get the mod back.  At least it's not common.