[B18] Coldest or Hottest Seeds!

Started by viperwasp, November 18, 2017, 10:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viperwasp

These seeds are Null and Void and won't work for B19 or 1.0 See link to new forum below for 1.0. And B19 was short lived so no forum for it made by me.

If you moved past [B18] here is a link to the new forum. Won't be until at least OCT.17 that I will search for new seeds.
[Version 1.0] https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43432.0

I wanted to start a discussion. Since Rimworld changed to a planet over-world the old seeds no longer apply. 

It is quite easy to generate a very hot or very cold landing site now because of the temperature sliders. But I am wondering if anyone has found any amazingly cold or hot seeds that surpass the rest? I have not done to much searching yet. But post your seeds and info below. Also if you know what type of settings produce the hottest or coldest landing sites please share your knowledge below. At some point in the future I am going to go on a quest to try and find some.

Here is the previous forum about this!  This is for the previous Alphas dating back to around A15 etc. It's null and void now.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=19302.msg248833#msg248833

Feel free to use or borrow from this Template.

Seed ""

Globe Coverage  %
Overall rainfall:
Overall temperature:

Coords
// Example 49.77 E 79.69 N
Debug world tile ID:  (Only shows in Dev Mode not required)

Temperature

Avg Temp C
Avg Temp (Winter) C
Avg Temp (Summer) C

OR

Avg Temp F
Avg Temp (Winter) F
Avg Temp (Summer) F

Below are the Coldest and Hottest I have found so far. I will update these if others post about Colder/Hotter landing sites. I have done a fair bit of searching but I have only just started. I will work on this for a while. Please anyone post any world record temps you find.

Notes:
1. I don't think Rainfall meter changes the temperature. I used same seed and found same landing site. With 100% the same temp with both Min and Max Rainfall Setting. Knowing this will make it easier.

2. For now I am going to stick to F. I am Canadian so I mainly understand C. But F is more accurate to search with. Later I will put both C and F once I or we start to find the lowest and highest possible. 
Temp Converter Google Page URL: https://www.google.ca/search?ei=fQcSWqLIO6rl0gLFu5PwDg&q=c+to+f&oq=c+to+f&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i71k1l4.0.0.0.307145.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.bbyoCLFgr8E

3. Tip when searching for cold locations. It actually helps to move the temp slider higher. This way areas that still have snow stand out more. Then you can find the coldest places. Change the slider to the very coldest and confirm the actual lowest temps. This won't work for everyone.
----------------------------------Hottest so Far!--------------------------------------------------

Seed "plain"

Globe Coverage  100%
Overall rainfall: Default (Normal)
Overall temperature: Highest Setting

Coords
1.76N 107.44E
Debug world tile ID:107026  (Only shows in Dev Mode not required)

Temperature

Avg Temp 81.7C
Avg Temp (Winter) 78.6C
Avg Temp (Summer) 84.9C

OR

Avg Temp 179.2F
Avg Temp (Winter) 173.6F
Avg Temp (Summer) 184.9F

----------------------------------Coldest so Far!--------------------------------------------------
Found/Posted by "Yuya"
Seed "grasshopper"

Globe Coverage  100%
Overall rainfall: Default (Normal)
Overall temperature: Lowest Setting

Coords
81.54 N 169.37 E
Debug world tile ID:449627  (Only shows in Dev Mode not required)

Temperature

Avg Temp -81.8 C
Avg Temp (Winter) -108.2 C
Avg Temp (Summer) -55.4 C

OR

Avg Temp -115.2
Avg Temp (Winter) -162.8
Avg Temp (Summer) -67.7

---------------------------Hacking Via Cheat Engine!--------------------------------------

Since the game now has a Temperature Slider during world Generation. I thought I would be smart and open up Cheat Engine. And map the values for this slider. And then modify the value so it would go beyond the range of the slider. I was successful at finding the value of the slider. In the lowest possible position (Coldest) it has a 4 Byte value of 0. And at the highest or hottest possible value it's a 4 byte value of 6. I can even modify or change this value. For example I made it a 10, 20 etc. And then started world gen.

What I expected
The world to gen with above MAX intended temps. Because 6 is the highest the bar let you go. So a 7 or higher should be hotter.

What Happened
The world generates as though you had the bar on NORMAL. So average temperature. Basically the game no longer sees the bar at all and draws/calculates default NORMAL temperature. 

So next I tried a couple things. I tried searching for other for other values in Cheat Engine that increase or decrease as I change the bar. And there is roughly 121 to 126 other values that change in the background when you adjust this bar. I fiddled around with those for over 40 minutes. And I managed to crash the game various times when generating the world. I did generate one world that was 100% frozen! But it crashed I could only see the world in the background and got a game crash error. So basically one of the many values I edited probably did change the threshold beyond the normal intention. But it's hard to narrow it down. As each time I need to start all over again when it crashes. Sometimes when I modify the values nothing happens. Other times it crashes. I have yet to find out how to hack temp values during world gen. I will try some more later but it may not be possible. You see I change many values all at once maybe if I find just the correct values to change it will change temp and won't provide a crash. Anyone who knows cheat engine probably understands what I mean. I have 120+ values of random numbers and I can't figure out which ones can be safely edited to create no crash as well as change in temperature.  If you want to give it a go I would love it if someone could find the correct values.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

just_a_random

this sounds interesting, but probably would be better if you used celsius degrees, because most of the world uses them, nobody outside USA uses Fº.
but great post

viperwasp

Thanks and I agree I will use C and F. Because if you use C in game. Then multiple places will have the exact temperature. But in F you can see tiny differences that you can't by just using C. Like 150.4F and 150.5F will both show as the same in C within Rimworld. See what I mean. But once I am sure I have found some of the very coldest or hottest possible I will simply switch to C and add the degrees in both C and F.

By the way I just found a colder spot and updated it just a minute ago. But I only just started and I imagine others will find way hotter or colder then I will.

Use this calculator to convert if you need to. I will do this later myself.
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=fQcSWqLIO6rl0gLFu5PwDg&q=c+to+f&oq=c+to+f&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i71k1l4.0.0.0.307145.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.bbyoCLFgr8E
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

Snafu_RW

Quote from: viperwasp on November 19, 2017, 05:40:12 PM
Thanks and I agree I will use C and F. Because if you use C in game. Then multiple places will have the exact temperature. But in F you can see tiny differences that you can't by just using C. Like 150.4F and 150.5F will both show as the same in C within Rimworld.
Easy, quick (for livable temps) mental arithmetic for C-> F is double +30; more accurate is 9/5+32 (reverse ofc for the other direction)

However there's a simple mod that will show both accurately in gamescreen
Dom 8-)

viperwasp

Quote from: Snafu_RW on November 19, 2017, 07:06:29 PM
Quote from: viperwasp on November 19, 2017, 05:40:12 PM
Thanks and I agree I will use C and F. Because if you use C in game. Then multiple places will have the exact temperature. But in F you can see tiny differences that you can't by just using C. Like 150.4F and 150.5F will both show as the same in C within Rimworld.
Easy, quick (for livable temps) mental arithmetic for C-> F is double +30; more accurate is 9/5+32 (reverse ofc for the other direction)

However there's a simple mod that will show both accurately in gamescreen

Do you mind linking to that mod? If it's still A17 I will wait for it to be updated. Thanks.

Updated to add C now to my main post.  From here on out I will be updating both F and C. And if anyone posts a hotter or colder location in either F or C I will update my main post and convert it into both F and C.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

Androsynth

I haven't been able to generate a truly cold map since A16. Anyone know why this changed? I've been reverting to A16 just to get the temperatures I want. My current colony hit an outdoor low of -176C during its first winter. I can't accomplish anything like that in A17 or B18.

viperwasp

Androsynth I heard someone say that Tynan or Dev Team tweaked the game because they felt it was generating areas that were to cold. So maximum cold threshold was simply reduced. You are right there was one Alpha with the new globe system were you could easily get colder sites.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

Sbilko

Why don't you change the value to 0 and refresh the results, and then change it to 1 as you change the in-game option too, and refresh again so as to find the changed value?

viperwasp

Quote from: Sbilko on December 05, 2017, 11:27:43 AM
Why don't you change the value to 0 and refresh the results, and then change it to 1 as you change the in-game option too, and refresh again so as to find the changed value?

Do you mind clarifying that with a little more detail. If it's something I feel may work I will give it a try.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

vrliryqffgfb

Hello
So i have been looking for a way to make world as cold as possible meanwhile having soil, trees  and such. I tried to edit biome settings in files but all i could do was making more soil on ice sheet but no trees.
BUT THEN
I thought, "SzQ, what if you set permanent cold snap". As i did that with custom scenario editing i found out that cold snaps actually stack. In result you can play in any biome and have permanent winter up to... down to -270 C.

So how about stacking heat waves? Well, only interior can self ignite =(

Have fun extremophiles.

Over and out.
SzQ

viperwasp

Wait you can make a custom scenario and stack Cold Snaps. Interesting I still want to find coldest possible without that of course but if what you say is true then sure it is possible to make a SUPER COLD game mode. That would be neat because you can play on a Desert or Jungle map for that matter and it would still be like -100C.

P.S That would be even more insane with Heat Waves. A fire WORLD! That would be a pretty intense playthough if it would even be possible.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

SzQ

Heat waves do not ignite anything that is outside. Only interior, so if you remove doors and surround full with walls, the fire will appear only inside once temperature rise too high.
   I find that playing at extreme cold is actually far easier than normal game since nothing can ride you. Also it is sad that you can't have multiple incidents of same type so you could have extreme cold only few times in the year/month. What you have to do is set interval between activation to 1 day or lower. At 0.5 you get like 80 C degrees lower than normal temperature.

Mod making coldsnaps faaaaaar more powerful would be awesome.

SzQ

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Androsynth

Thanks for the cold snap stacking tip! I just concluded my first game on a world tile with -55C average temperature, plus permanent volcanic winter + solar eclipse, and a cold snap every 0.183 days. Day 1 starts around -40C, by day 2 it's -150C or so, by day 3 it's -270C outside.

It ended poorly on day 4. Things had been going well up till then; I actually had potatoes growing in a large enough tract of gravel to support all 3 colonists, and enough heaters to keep the whole 11x11 room warmed up to 13C, but I didn't budget enough iron + components. 5 wind turbines + 2 batteries just couldn't keep 28 heaters and a sun lamp going. There's literally no way to cross the 20 tile outdoor run to a nearby hill to claim its iron.

The only abundant building material is stone blocks, and they just take so damn long to construct outside. I'd estimate fatal outdoor exposure is somewhere between 8 and 10 seconds wearing a starter jacket in -270C.

Hans Lemurson

Wow, that's pretty cold!  Dead in 10 seconds of exposure...

It's sort of funny that despite how energy-efficient heaters are, even that's not enough to save you from absolute zero.

You'd probably be immune to Raids though, since even Mechanoids have a minimum operating temperature.  Drop pods could still get you though, and you'd never be able to increase your population since wanderers cannot survive.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Canute

Not to speak that you would need enviroment system like at the MARS mod.
At this deep temp. most of the air is liquid or ice.
And the wind turbines shouldn't work either.