[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Is there a way to "reset" the poison traps for the Ranger ?
It stoped working to leave trap's. The ability works so far, Ranger move to the destination, Stamina goes away, cooldown happen, but no trap appear and no msg. about old traps.
But the ability work at the beginning.

And i notice something:
Different spell/abilities got different XP gain per mana use.
Blink1: 90 XP need 15% mana
Summon1: 71 XP need 24% mana
I think this should be more equalized, so you get a fixed amount of XP for each % of mana you use.
Otherwise anyone allways need to do some research, what spell is best to train the magic skill.

Btw. does spells/abilities with perma effect like gear repair increase the standard XP gain, since they reduce the mana regen ?

Jan2607

About the Mana Mine, under what circumstances will it detonate? Only if a pawn walks over it or will it detonate, if a pawn is close to it?
I created a mine and 4 people run over it. Nothing happened. I'm sure that at least 2 enemies run exactly over it, the others passed it one square away.

rekasa

Hi! I just bought a massively expensive book, Arcane Script: Demonology, and I wanted to teach my Magically Gifted pawn it, but as the image shows, when I tell her to read it, it says "Book type not recognized as an arcane script." Does anyone have any ideas?

Toketsu

Quote from: rekasa on June 09, 2018, 03:16:39 PM
Hi! I just bought a massively expensive book, Arcane Script: Demonology, and I wanted to teach my Magically Gifted pawn it, but as the image shows, when I tell her to read it, it says "Book type not recognized as an arcane script." Does anyone have any ideas?

It's a new class that torann is working on. There will be a demonologist and a succubus. For whatever reason, the script and the classes were already in game the day he mentioned that, almost a week ago. Though, the class isn't functional right now. Either save that book until he updates, or sell it~

Toketsu

Here are some more ideas. I still didn't make the synnergy classes, but i'll get to that at some point. For now, take these (and the last post in case you missed it, page 50, reply #741):

Classes:

Geomancer (magic)

Prospect - Large-radius spell that removes the fog of war and shows what's behind any natural walls. Does not show anything inside ancient dangers. Useful for mining in mountainous colonies.
Medium mana cost and cooldown. This spell has a scroll learnable by any mage.

Raise Minerals - Generates rocks (native to the region only) along with an assortment of random ores (quantity and commonality determined by rarity) in a small area (similar to the developer mode's "make rock 21x21" or whatever it's called). Can only be cast on a clear surface, similar to Teleport.
Long cooldown and high mana cost, leaves the user with mana weakness.

Toughness (passive) - Gain 3 damage reduction. Higher skill levels further lower damage. Mastering the spell makes the pawn emmit an aura that lowers damage taken by non-hostile pawns in a medium radius.

Rock Wall - Create a rock wall that blocks passage and projectiles. Can be any lenght. Each tile that the wall uses increases mana cost by 2.5%, cast time by 0.2s and cooldown by 1s. Best used while the game is paused, usage is as simple as selecting the spell and then using it as if you were building a normal wall. Can't be used over terrain that blocks building or movement. Walls disappear after 15 seconds. Duration can be increased with skills. While a wall is up, the geomancer will have a skill to crumble all created walls.

Earthquake (master spell) - Shakes the entire map for 30 seconds to 1 minute, dealing 1% building damage per second to all claimed buildings (including enemy buildings, but no natural buildings such as ancient dangers and rocks/ore).
Also reduces the manipulation and movement of all land pawns and animals by a %, increased with spell upgrade.
Long cooldown, very high mana costs and long casting time.

Spell and skill scrolls:

Levitate - Sustained mana cost of 20%, increases the mage's movement speed by 10% and negates any kind of impairment from the ground, such as no damage from fires (can still get damage from overheating temperatures), can fly over water, no movement decrease from any kind of terrain (works on caravans if all pawns have this spell active), and ground-based spells (such as earthquake) would have no effect on the mage.

Survival instinct - This might skill can wake up unconscious pawns, and allow them to move to safety and even work (including self-healing) - for a time. Duration is determined by the amount of stamina consumed on skill use, with every 40% stamina giving 1 extra hour before collapsing again. After use, pawn will get a new "Fatigued" status which halts all stamina regeneration and lowers all of the pawn's stats by 30%. Fatigued lasts for 2 days.
100% of max stamina cost (uses up all stamina), 5 days of cooldown. Disables all sustained skills on use, and skills cannot be activated during fatigued.

Items:

Concentrated magicyte crystal
Crafted on a gemcrafting workbench, this new item can be used to power new, strong magical buildings. Mid-tier crystal.
Requires the second magic item crafting and second gem crafting research to make.

Accumulator crystal
Crafted on a gemcrafting workbench, this new item can be added to existing magical structures that rely on mana to work. Buildings with one of these will gather mana from the air over time for their own use (cannot be extracted), resulting in 1% mana per hour.
Requires the third magic item crafting and third gem crafting research to make.

Battery crystal
Crafted on a gemcrafting workbench, this new item can be added to existing magical structures that rely on mana to work. Buildings with one of these will hold twice as much mana as they naturally can.
Requires the second magic item crafting and second gem crafting research to make.

Generator crystal
Crafted on a gemcrafting workbench, this new item can be added to existing magical structures that rely on mana to work. Buildings with one of these will gather 0.5% mana per hour and can hold +50% of their base mana capacity.
Requires the third magic item crafting and third gem crafting research to make.

Events:

Magical Hazard (sorry for the wall of text, made it as detailed as i could at the time)
This event is triggered randomly shortly after the cast of spells. The more mana has been used in a zone, the higher the chance of it happening. Every 100% mana increases chance of it happening by 1%. The mana in the air is reset when the moon goes away completely (6-7 am). This event cannot be triggered naturally prior to the second year.
Magical Hazards are a very dangerous semi-cataclysmic disaster that happens when a great amount of mana circulated in a short amount of time that change the very shape of the earth. When a Magical Hazard occurs, flashstorms will rend the map in several areas, along with 2-4 tornadoes. These will last between 12 hours and 48 hours. Once it ends, the weather will act in a bizarre way, to the point where it could be -50° celcius in a summer day on the desert, and the weather will change very often and drastically. This lasts between 1 to 7 days. During the entirety of the Magical Hazard, casting spells can be extremely dangerous. There's a 30% chance the spell will fail to be cast, and the mana used will explode, causing harm to the user (1% mana = 2 damage to a random body part, hands and arms have the greatest chance of being harmed), and during the hazard, the chance to trigger a hazard event will be 10x higher. Triggering a hazard during a hazard will unleash an even more dangerous hazard that lasts twice as long, with +50% flashstorms and tornadoes. A.I. mage spells do add to the chance of triggering the hazard, but can not trigger a hazard themselves, for the sake of balancing (This could have a toggle in the mod settings, for people who want a harder challenge).
Magical hazards can be somewhat countered by building an Anti-hazard Totem building. Read below for more info.
Once the hazard is entirely over, some magicyte can be found spread all across the map (between 100 and 400, depending on map size).

Buildings:

Anti-hazard Totem
This totem, when built, acts as a conductor to neutralize the mana in the air, lowering the chances of a hazard by 90% (making it 100% mana used = 0.1% chance of triggering a hazard). Only one is required for full effect, and building more will not increase efficiency.
Requires a new magic research "Hazard Prevention", which requires shield belt research and the second magic item crafting research. Building costs include 1 Concentrated magicyte crystal, some steel and some building material, for cosmetic or endurance purposes.

Other:

About the crystals that can be infused in buildings - a building can only host up to 4 crystals, and only one of each type (all battery crystal tiers will act as one type). If it's a dual-type crystal, it'll count as both types.

Allow mages to condense mana into magicyte, at a ratio of 10% mana = 1 magicyte. Unless i'm doing something wrong, magicyte can be pretty hard to come by in a single colony, especially if you're not in a mountainous or large hills area.

Add a slider for skill damage, if there isn't one yet. Could range between 30% and 300%.

Questions:

Can you make skills/spells from scrolls only be learned if pawn has a specific mage or fighter level? If so, the survival instinct could be a pretty high level skill, for example.

Can you make spells that require another spell before they're available? Something akin to upgrading a spell. This could make spell scrolls more interesting to play with, allowing for several levels of specific spells, with different potency and costs.

Jan2607

I think, I found a bug.
My Arcane Mage has two points in "Spirit", that means she had her current mana level at 108% (she had full mana). I used her Blink spell, which is not upgraded. This spell has a (base) Mana cost of 15.0%.
After she used that spell, she only had 78% Mana left.

So, if the spell costs 15% from the base maximum mana level of 100%, she should have 85% left. If the spells would cost 15% of her actual maximum mana level of 108%, she should have 91.8% left. Either way, 78% should be incorrect, so there seems to be a bug.

Canute

I have another idea for the Magical Hazard,
Currently these rift's are a random incident. That can still stay, but when alot of magic is used another Rift can open.
Any spell cast will increase the mana counter by the used mana for the current map.
If the counter reach over 250/500/1000 there is a chance to open a rift.

rekasa

Ah, darn, I guess i'll hold on to it if this colony survives! Thanks.

henk

There could be new events centered around rogue elementals; something like a pack of aggressive elementals passing by, which won't attack unless provoked, or a minor rift that only spawns a few elementals. Heck, the minor rift could be a spell too, perhaps a summoner spell that can be cheaper than normal summonings, but the elementals aren't friendly.

I agree that magicytes are too hard to get. More rogue elemental events, even minor ones, would be great.

Maybe weather effects could have a chance of summoning minor elementals. Storms and cold snaps could summon water elementals, heat waves and solar flares get you fire elementals, flash storms and tornadoes spawn air elementals, and meteorites and blights give you earth elementals.

EDIT
Even better : a magical animal that can be milked for magicyte.

WolfCaptain Blade

Quote from: Canute on June 07, 2018, 03:20:44 AM
Is there a way to "reset" the poison traps for the Ranger ?
It stoped working to leave trap's. The ability works so far, Ranger move to the destination, Stamina goes away, cooldown happen, but no trap appear and no msg. about old traps.
But the ability work at the beginning.
Same thing happens to my ranger. The traps are awesome when they work but they seemed to have stopped and dont reset on reloads or full restarts.

Canute

Quote from: henk on June 09, 2018, 06:59:25 PM
I agree that magicytes are too hard to get. More rogue elemental events, even minor ones, would be great.
I add at one playthrough a repeating rift event, this give you alot of unrefined magicity and minor gems. And now from the butchering some extra magicyte.

And you can use Quarry mod, at the mod option you can add magicyte to the mineable resources. With 1-2% like components you have slow but steady income.

Torann

Quote from: Jan2607 on June 07, 2018, 07:04:33 PM
About the Mana Mine, under what circumstances will it detonate? Only if a pawn walks over it or will it detonate, if a pawn is close to it?
I created a mine and 4 people run over it. Nothing happened. I'm sure that at least 2 enemies run exactly over it, the others passed it one square away.
Pawn has to walk right over it.  I might change it so it has a proximity detonation, or make one of the skill upgrades give it a proximity detonation.  I've found it pretty hard to get enemies to detonate it too unless it's a single square tunnel or choke point.

Poison traps: I'm looking into it, it's been a problem and I haven't been able to figure out what's going on since I can't get it to -stop- working myself.

Quote from: Jan2607 on June 09, 2018, 04:42:46 PM
I think, I found a bug.
My Arcane Mage has two points in "Spirit", that means she had her current mana level at 108% (she had full mana). I used her Blink spell, which is not upgraded. This spell has a (base) Mana cost of 15.0%.
After she used that spell, she only had 78% Mana left.

So, if the spell costs 15% from the base maximum mana level of 100%, she should have 85% left. If the spells would cost 15% of her actual maximum mana level of 108%, she should have 91.8% left. Either way, 78% should be incorrect, so there seems to be a bug.

Quote from: Canute on June 07, 2018, 03:20:44 AM
And i notice something:
Different spell/abilities got different XP gain per mana use.
Blink1: 90 XP need 15% mana
Summon1: 71 XP need 24% mana
I think this should be more equalized, so you get a fixed amount of XP for each % of mana you use.
Otherwise anyone allways need to do some research, what spell is best to train the magic skill.
It is fixed - it's determined by base mana cost, not adjusted mana cost.  If you have points in efficiency skill line then it will reduce the actual mana cost for a skill but you'll always gain xp on base mana cost.  However, based on Jan2067's comment, there might be a bug somewhere in the calculation for mana/stamina costs, so ill look into this.

Quote from: rekasa on June 09, 2018, 03:16:39 PM
Yes, sorry, not fully implemented.  There was a bug that was preventing the mimic book from working effectively and so I had to make an emergency patch to fix that with all the def's for warlock/succubus already in the game.  Not ideal, but when the class is fully implemented the book will work like normal.

Btw. does spells/abilities with perma effect like gear repair increase the standard XP gain, since they reduce the mana regen ?
No, mana/stamina gain only occurs during skill use that expends mana/stamina or slowly if fully rested.  Mages can also teach other mages for xp points (to the student).  Bard may gain xp when performing entertainment.

WolfCaptain Blade

How does one become a student? Was the Ranger trap fixed as well?

SirDarin

I've seen unique dialog bubbles appearing between two mages and, when I checked the social, it stated that they were teaching magic. So i think it happens randomly as a social interaction.

WolfCaptain Blade

Does that only happen if one is a full mage and the other is an initiate or they are both the same mage style or something?