[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henk

That doesn't worth against arcane mages, who will teleport on top of you at the first opportunity. A real kamikaze maneuver...

HerrColonel

Quote from: henk on February 19, 2018, 05:19:10 PM
That doesn't worth against arcane mages, who will teleport on top of you at the first opportunity. A real kamikaze maneuver...
Never happened to me oO
It seems the attackers AI does a lot of random shit with spells. I see the buffs spells all the time but otherway very rare. One of my pawns got summoned once (and killed on spot xD), another time I got targeted by magic missiles (low rank). But never seen the kamikaze manoeuver

Torann

Quote from: Prince Kasta on February 19, 2018, 08:45:13 AM
A few things I noticed when playing and some suggestions:
I appreciate the feedback Prince Kasta, thanks for taking the time to post.

Summoner (and elementals) were recently nerfed a bit, do you feel they are still OP?  What makes them OP?  Cheap spells?  Ability to stay out of danger?  The summons themselves?

Oddly enough, summon was also reduced recently, but I agree that it definitely has a lot of creative uses.

I like the idea's on resurrection and really like the nullification field idea for paladin. 

Torann

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 19, 2018, 10:01:35 AM
I feel like Paladins and Necromancer's should get into fisticuffs a lot more often if you have both as colonists. I think I saw in the thoughtdefs that a lot of people don't like necros as it is, but this could be some even more added flavor ;D

In fact, an entire DnD alignment system could be fun, maybe for some other mod.

Torann do you plan to add more interactions among the different classes? Also, what do you think about "combo spells?" Something like a druid could get a tornado going, and a fire or lightning mage supe it up, and now you've got a fiery tornado or a tornado that shoots out bolts of lightning. Anyone ever play ChronoTrigger will remember all of the awesome double and triple skill/spell combos. Could also have a cross "fighter/magic" skills/spells. Maybe have the mage's buff up their non-magical brethren with active or passive timed buffs. Like a fire mage could make X% of a fighter's melee attacks also cause additional splash fire damage in Y radius of their target for Z time.
Yep, definitely looking to add more social behavior revolving around mages to the mod.  I kind of consider this more fluff than core so the stuff completed so far has been more breaking ground than full implementation.  Plus there are still have several core features I want to push out, hopefully before 1.0.  Same goes with the overall balance rework, seems somewhat pointless to start a crusade to balance spells when core features like magic items and enchantments that will offset casters isn't even in yet.  That being said, I've got some idea's, and a class or three, that I feel will really liven up the social scene.

I haven't really looked at dual mage combo's, but do have a theory class that would be able to perform combo's themself - tip of the hat to Mass Effect Biotics.

Torann

Quote from: henk on February 19, 2018, 01:47:39 PM
Incidentally, the mod option to turn off explosion on death doesn't work. Explosions generally kill everyone standing near them, too. Not fun.
Hmm, there's not exactly an option to turn it completely off, but I did push out a mini update to steam today that allows the option to be set to .1, which should effectively only ever hit the caster (edit: or pawns in the same tile... darn those kamikaze mages) as a means of avoiding capture.

SzaryKaptur

Last version isn't working. Can't cast any spell.
I found out! It's not updated Jecs tools. So if you update its working like a charm!
Field 'AbilityUser.VerbProperties_Ability.canCastInMelee' not found.
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.AI.JobDriver.SetupToils_Patch1 (object) <0x000a5>
at Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker.StartJob (Verse.AI.Job,Verse.AI.JobCondition,Verse.AI.ThinkNode,bool,bool,Verse.ThinkTreeDef,System.Nullable`1<Verse.AI.JobTag>,bool) <0x006de>
at Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker.TryFindAndStartJob () <0x0018e>
at Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker.EndCurrentJob (Verse.AI.JobCondition,bool) <0x002f4>
at Verse.AI.JobDriver.EndJobWith (Verse.AI.JobCondition) <0x00038>
at Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker.TryTakeOrderedJob (Verse.AI.Job,Verse.AI.JobTag) <0x001a0>
at AbilityUser.PawnAbility.UseAbility (AbilityUser.AbilityContext,Verse.LocalTargetInfo) <0x00101>
at AbilityUser.PawnAbility.TryCastAbility (AbilityUser.AbilityContext,Verse.LocalTargetInfo) <0x00194>
at AbilityUser.AbilityUserMod.ProcessInputEvents_PreFix (RimWorld.Targeter) <0x002ee>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) RimWorld.Targeter.ProcessInputEvents_Patch1 (object) <0x0002e>
at RimWorld.MapInterface.HandleMapClicks () <0x00043>
at RimWorld.UIRoot_Play.UIRootOnGUI () <0x000ed>
at Verse.Root.OnGUI () <0x000c6>

henk

I don't mind mages exploding on death, but do they have to kill everything in range? Reduced damage would make the feature more interesting. Maybe mage-type themed damage would work (i.e. fire for fire mages, hypothermia for ice mages).

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: henk on February 19, 2018, 09:41:49 PM
I don't mind mages exploding on death, but do they have to kill everything in range? Reduced damage would make the feature more interesting. Maybe mage-type themed damage would work (i.e. fire for fire mages, hypothermia for ice mages).

If Torann were to want to do anything like this, then perhaps Mehni might have something already setup (but I am not speaking on his behalf for giving permission to use this). Recently I worked with him with Elemental Boomalopes, and he has a custom deathclass thing in the xml that links to C#. Anyway, it allows the boomalopes to die in a special fashion based upon what they are. Poofalopes die and have a big cloud of smoke, Foamalopes have an firefoam go everywhere, etc.

Figured if this was something that you, Torann, are interested in, then this route could save you some time. Unless of course you have your own plans :)

BetaSpectre

Not a fan of mages exploding on death myself, I thought it was a specific skill at first, but  sadly I never seem to get that ability. Would be nice if some options could be turned on or off, was just hoping to get a few Paladins in my game.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Prince Kasta

Quote from: Torann on February 19, 2018, 07:48:52 PM
Quote from: Prince Kasta on February 19, 2018, 08:45:13 AM
A few things I noticed when playing and some suggestions:
I appreciate the feedback Prince Kasta, thanks for taking the time to post.

Summoner (and elementals) were recently nerfed a bit, do you feel they are still OP?  What makes them OP?  Cheap spells?  Ability to stay out of danger?  The summons themselves?

Oddly enough, summon was also reduced recently, but I agree that it definitely has a lot of creative uses.

I like the idea's on resurrection and really like the nullification field idea for paladin.
No problem, I having a lot of fun in my current playthrough mainly because of your mod.

For the Summoner, I'm talking about a max level summoner.
My strategy in taking bases with them is to shot a pawn which will aggro the outpost then spawn a pylon in front of them.
The pylon will take down at least 2, when it dies you spawn the greater elemental who will slaughter the rest and if they aren't fleeing already just summon another pylon.
I never even got shot at once.

My summoner is definitely most of my firepower in raids but funny enough he is actually weaker in colony defense because the greater elemental will get friendly fired A LOT.

So I think the greater elemental is what makes him OP, that thing will pretty much one shot pawns while distracting every one from the Summoner
My suggestion is either turning the elemental to a tank with meager damage or making his attack weaker but with a small AOE. In rpg terms currently he is a tank that does more damage than the dps classes.
The pylons should have halved range when spawning them so the Summoner can't just throw them into the enemy like hand grenades that spawn turrets in stand of an explosion.
The mines and minions are fine in my opinion. 

Torann

Quote from: henk on February 19, 2018, 09:41:49 PM
I'll add this as another option so the amount of damage done can be reduced.
One of the purposes of the retaliation was to limit the amount of fully trained mages that could be acquired from prisoner recruits, bypassing the difficulty in capturing a mage reduces the worth of mages in general.  While I have no problems adding options to reduce threat risk of the death retaliation spell, the concept of preventing a mass influx of mages will still be adhered to, though it looks like I'll need another method to help shape this.

Harry_Dicks

Would it be possible to have a dynamic % of recruitment difficulty for anyone with mage/magically gifted/physical traits? For example, if you've gotten two mages or something already in your colony, could you make it more difficult to recruit new ones (and have it not effect regular pawns)? I'd imagine this could be quite a bit of work, though..

Maybe having too many mages on the map could affect a map wide mana regen rate for your guys, or maybe have a lot more social malices for mages being in a colony with too many other mages? This could tie into the whole social fights and relations among the different classes we were just talking about.

Maybe mages are very selfish, and having to share the glory will piss them off and lead to all sorts of interesting "mage social breaks". Maybe the fire mage gets all pissy and starts throwing fireballs everywhere? Or the ice mage has had it with the necro always taking their seat at the dinner table, and so freezes your necro solid for 24 hours. Who knows ::)

henk

I'd love to see events that happen only if you have a certain amount of mages - i.e. elemental portals only happen if you have at least 2 mages, and anti-mage crusaders could invade if you have at least 4 mages. A similar event could happen for physical fighters, with raiders "challenging" you to a fight.

Harry_Dicks

I think that's a great idea. The more mages/physical fighters/magically gifted/whatever you have as colonists, then it could affect raids in a specific way. Maybe Torann has an anti magic guild planned at one point? ::)

The thing I really want to see a lot more of, which I think all of RimWorld mods are lacking a lot of, are more events and incidents. I want to have like 300-400 possible events/incidents/fun awesome stuff to pop off!

Torann, if we think of more awesome events/incidents, would you want to implement them at some point in the future? I think that would be some really great icing on the cake, all sorts of fantastic stuff that can happen only if you have certain people or to them or whatever. Among all of the different classes, I think it would be amazing if they could all have at least a 2-3 each. I know that sounds like a crazy tall order, but hey, a boy can dream can't he? ;)

billyma6

Hey guys, what about a spell or an effect that makes it so the armor/weapons your pawn is carrying are repaired and as long as the spell has effect, don't degrade even during combat? It could be like level I is only for a minute or so, level II is around 5 minutes, and level III could be forever, and the mana costs would be adjusted accordingly. This sort of spell could be named "Infuse" and would have a description something like this;

"Infuses mana into the materials that make up the target pawn's armor/weapons, causing them to be immune to degradation and external damage."

Of course, this effect only lasts on the items that the player has equipped at that time, so removing it from your inventory would cause it to no longer work and to regain the effect on your current equipment you'd have to cast the spell again.

Thoughts?