Trading madness

Started by Shurp, November 26, 2017, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So it sounds like yayo addiction isn't too severe as long as in have a stockpile to prevent withdrawal.  Good to hear, thanks!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dashthechinchilla

According to the wiki, tolerance for yayo and other psychite drugs produces kidney failure in about 120 days. I imagine that includes the new tea. Smokeleaf produces asthma or carcinoma in the lungs in about 120 days. Beer causes sirrosis.

dkmoo

Back to OP - for b18 I've also noticed that MV of some materials as well as mat cost for apparel have changed as well as the MV formula. Someone did a pretty detailed Reddit post with spreadsheets on the post profitable stuff. Some of which depends on if you have high level crafter, builder or social. B18 changes some of that but it's still a good start to check out. (I can't find the link atm but will post when i get home later today)

For b18 I updated some of those calcs -parkas are now one of the lowest money per resource apparels. Ifnyou still want to make clothibg, Bowler hat is the highest on a per material basis. Making flake still makes decent amount  but if you have a lvl14+ crafter you will make more money with bowler hat on a per growing plot per day basis  (cotton vs psychoid). Of course the difference here is that only bulk trader buys clothing but almost every trader buys flake.

If you have a high social. You can make a ton of money buying neutromine and making Wake up. With lvl 20 social you make around 2x what you pay. (Even with the 50% and 150% selling/buying factor). With this you break even somewhere around lvl 8 social?  I have a ill 10 social and have about a 15% profit margin.

Shurp

What I dislike about hats is that they take up so much space in inventory.  Otherwise, yeah, bowler caps or tuques would be clearly the way to go.  I don't know why parkas get that penalty but it definitely kills their space advantage.

(The idea that parkas have a space advantage over hats says something about the game mechanics being a bit screwed up)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

dkmoo

Yes but at some point once you have large enough a storage,  it becomes a moot point bc you'll be limited by the purchasing capacity of the trader.

Albion

I'm with shurp on this one. Space is a huge problem in endgame in my opinion. If you have 20+ dudes you already need a lot of space to support them but if you start to exclusively craft bowler hats you'll quickly cover a decently large space with hats since they need one space per hat but are super fast to produce and don't need much material.
Flake or yayo on the other hand require next to no space since you can stack them to 400. The only space you need is for the plants and at least temporarily some space for the leaves until you turn them into powder.
Same is true for wake up but to be honest it takes quite a while to produce one unit of wakeup. I didn't calculate any numbers but it feels as it isn't as profitable to just grind wakeup in a money/work sense since neutroamine is quite expensive.

SpaceDorf

Also there are enough other uses for neutroamine which subtract from profit and production time.

I have yet to reach an end game colony, but my guess would be that boomalope chemfuel farm might be quite profitable.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dkmoo

RE: Spacing. I agree that bowler hats is no where near as space efficient as flake. my point is, in practical sense, the "space-hungriness" of bowler hat has an upper limit so it's not like "as long as your production can keep up you'll need to devote half of your base storing bowler hats". In my current play-thru, 2 orbital beacon worth of space was enough for the most part b/c bulk good traders usually don't carry enough silvers to buy more than that. Is 2 orbital beacon worth of space still alot? sure, but i'm just trying to put its needs into perspective. Obviously if you also need to buy stuff from the bulk goods, that'll change the spacing limit. From purely making $$ perspective, esp if you have a lvl 20 crafter, the difference between making flake and making bowler hats is quite significant.

RE: Neutromine -> Wake up: yes it takes longer to make than flake but in my experience it doesn't make much difference. I remember churning thru a full stack of 400 of them in a couple of days. The key here is that it's dependent on your social level. like i said with lvl 20 social you can buy 4000 silver worth of neutromine and make 8000 silver worth wake up with a very quick turn around. so depending on what your situation is, this could be a good part of your economy. As for the other uses, yes its needed for other stuff but it doesn't decrease your profit margin (50% max).

TheMeInTeam

If you have the climate you can actually make more dosh than you need by just planting a ton of cotton and selling cloth.  I even did this on extreme desert while feeding 20 people and a decent number of animals (12+ hauler dogs and 20+ alpacas with a big surplus).

If you have a cold climate, the requirement to heat and light enclosed spaces makes large planting areas prohibitive.  You can get a good amount by micromanaging hunting caribou and other animals even on tundra.  After that, you're mostly relying on stripped raider drops (if they don't die), thrubmos, scyther blades, possibly stone sculptures since it will take a long time to fully deplete that.

Once you get deep drilling + scanner, any map except sea ice will have tons of resources.  Whether it's jade, gold, silver, plasteel etc there's a lot of wealth in that.

Shurp

So I just noticed something which might explain my original problem and may offer a work around.  I was perusing Apparel_Various.xml when I noticed that parkas are under the "Neolithic" heading.  Maybe that is where the 0.70 penalty is coming from when selling them to offworld outposts?

It sounds like if I make dusters instead I won't get hit with the penalty.  Has anyone tried this?

sadpickle

Both dusters and parkas have the .70 penalty to sell price afaik. I have several of both in storage right now. I keep my tailors (4 benches!) busy cranking out leather products because it piles up fast if you're hunting regularly. Really, I never have a shortage of either and I typically can clean out a trader on those alone if he has no commodity I want.

Drugs are king though. The high stack size makes perfect sense: drugs like heroin and cocaine are INCREDIBLY pure and taken in very small doses (taking more is playing with a loaded gun). My main beef with drugs is doggies and kitties cracking open a cold one and winding up with carcinoma. I don't know if they still do this in b18 but I'm not sure I want to chance Beer production again after the Great Husky Hangover of '17.

As a side note: as a consumer of smokeleaf, I think the penalties are ridiculous. I've never had problems with breathing if I filter the smoke (water pipe), and it's extremely non-addictive. I'm actually on the wagon right now and I stop craving it after 48~hrs. I think the penalty to move and consciousness (esp. consciousness) is enough a drawback without the possibility of addiction, but what do I know.

Shurp

So if it's not the "Neolithic" tag, then where is this 0.70 coming from, and how do I edit it away?

Canute

So far i remember, not 100% sure, the 0.70 thing got added with the worldmap feature.
If you want the 100% price you need to trade with the faction settlements.
Any caravan that arrive with you just give you the 0,70.
Orbital trader full prices too.

Shurp

Huh?  I'm pretty sure I was getting the 0.70 at a settlement... I could be wrong though.  If so, that would explain my confusion, ok.

It's still annoying that Rimworld offers so little economic value for manufacturing... from a purely financial standpoint there's little motive to make anything out of the cotton instead of just hauling it and selling it raw.

cyberian

I don't get why its better selling it raw. I remember selling quite a lot of excellent/masterwork/legendary leather pants and if I remember it had quite a hefty price increase.
As for what I sell I usually just sell excess stuff so everything that I have more than enough of. Plus a little arts so the good statues I place in rooms the rest I sell off but its not very excessive. I don't do mass production lines for trade I just produce lots of stuff that I want my pawns to equip and sell of the excess. Only thing I am selling much raw is leather/wool because I have 40 muffalos and 20 pigs and also kill all the wild animals to survive the winter. Doing 20/60 boreal forest so there drug production does not work for me because I need most of the space for the base and big food/haygrass fields and some devilstrand.

Also usually the traders plus the occasional requested ones are good enough I don't do caravans.