tornado sucks

Started by LoSboccacc, December 10, 2017, 09:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoSboccacc

all events need a build up time, everything that instagib a colonist sucks and is just cheap.

I'm fine with a tornado that scourge the land and for it to be a dramatic event, but a tornado that pops into existence just on top of the infirmary after a raid doesn't add any suspense or narrative.

it should give the event an hour warning or spawn it in from a map border.

Penguinmanereikel

Tynan is trying to recreate tornadoes as another superweapon (like the orbital weapons), rather than random events.

Morrigi

I agree. As someone who lives in tornado country, the typical natural warning for tornadoes in real life is a very severe thunderstorm and often the sky turning an eerie greenish color. In terms of game mechanics, there should be some kind of event warning before it happens (maybe make it give occasional false positives during thunderstorms) and there should be an on-map shadow of a funnel cloud before it touches down, since we can't exactly see the sky very well.

Shurp

Spawning on the map edge would work perfectly for this -- give colonists enough time to run and hide in the tornado bunker (ie: bug spawn hole)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

silenced

Quote from: Morrigi on December 10, 2017, 10:27:48 PM
I agree. As someone who lives in tornado country, the typical natural warning for tornadoes in real life is a very severe thunderstorm and often the sky turning an eerie greenish color. In terms of game mechanics, there should be some kind of event warning before it happens (maybe make it give occasional false positives during thunderstorms) and there should be an on-map shadow of a funnel cloud before it touches down, since we can't exactly see the sky very well.

But this is not Earth. Different rules may apply here.

It's even fun when you start on a map and after a few days in a tornado goes right through an 'ancient danger' building ... but hey, that's RNG for you.

Accept it as it is, it's adding fun.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

Euzio

I do kinda thing Tornadoes could do with a rework. I've disabled them in my games for now until then.

Tornadoes can't be considered fun now because the random nature and sheer destruction in its path when it spawns is not something which we can mitigate even remotely. It simply steam rolls through and destroys everything without a chance for you to take action. If there is a build up, like a Tornado warning or Tornado season (based on time of the year), we can then choose to prepare appropriately. But if it simply suddenly drops down and proceeds to wreck everything, then its no different from the game just dropping a "destroy everything" command in that area.

cyberian

I think its fine that its dangerous there is not really any other event it seems (I am quite new to the game though) that than can threaten a well established midgame/endgame colony.
If a tornado comes during a raid and destroys part of your colony that can actually be interesting. That said it should come from an edge of the map and go to another edge of the map not spawn directly on top of your colonists.

LoSboccacc

or at least a little warning, say a hour warning, maybe a chance to have a warning earlier if you have a comm console, things like that would make it already much nore integrated in the basic gameplay.

remember the old blight? "all ur crops are ded thee heee heee". tornadoes are bad in the exact same way

Sirportalez

Quotetornado sucks 

That's what tornados do. ^^

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Sirportalez on December 11, 2017, 04:45:48 PM
Quotetornado sucks

That's what tornados do. ^^
IC wat u did thar. O.O
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

aviv

maybe if tornado will appear only when there is rain ?
or u will get a warning only if u have a TV in ur base.