[B18] Constant crashing!

Started by jchavezriva, December 19, 2017, 10:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchavezriva

Could it be heavy load? I have 2 colonies and a pirate outpost with a huge forest fire, but it still seems unusual because it has never crashed even once before.

Save: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0G6dEdb7Ma6NWhZcXRQWndMSEk

Canute

You should post more the error log after you got a crash. rather then the safegame ! :-)

Calahan

The crash might be due to a lack of memory. But as Canute says we really need your log file to know either way.

Save files are usually perfect for bug reports, but when it comes to crash reports they aren't always that useful unless the crash is reproducible when trying to load the save, or a few ticks after it loads. As whatever caused the crash might well be local to either your computer or the particular playing session that crashed. In which case the game and/or the save might only be crashing on your computer (due to some local factor or variable). But the log file should be able to provide a few answers/clues.

jchavezriva

Here it is.
Crash is now happening after the camping time is over in the outpost and is time to reform the caravan. Once i form it it begins loading the world map. Crash happens in middle of the load.
Is 12 GB low enough for this to happen?

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

Is that log from after the game has crashed? Asking because that log is clean and no sign of any errors, but also no sign of any attempt to load a save either. It seems to be a log file generated by starting the game, and then immediately exiting. Try looking for the log file in the RimWorldWin_Data folder (which can be found in the install folder). As maybe the log file in locallow isn't being generated properly (obviously ignore this is that log file did come from the RimWorldWin_Data folder).

And 12Gb is plenty of system memory for the game because it's a 32-bit program so the most it can use is 3.5-4Gb (depending on what Windows you have). So unless you have some other programs running that are using 8+Gb, then you have enough system memory. Although that doesn't mean this isn't a crash due to a lack of memory (because of the above 32-bit limit).

Canute

You sure this log is from after a crash, it don't contain much usefull info and no crash message.
QuoteWARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Setting to default shader.
Can it be that you got some kind of VR app installed, and this prevent the start/crash from Rimworld ?

jchavezriva

I entered the game, then before loading the save again i posted the log. And in this attempt it seems the game managed to load the planet without crash. I will go back and try to reproduce it. And no i have no VR related software. Not that i have voluntarily installed at least.

Canute

We need a logfile from after a crash, not when anything is fine.

Calahan

Quote from: Canute on December 19, 2017, 11:40:02 AM
You sure this log is from after a crash, it don't contain much usefull info and no crash message.
QuoteWARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Setting to default shader.
Can it be that you got some kind of VR app installed, and this prevent the start/crash from Rimworld ?

I've seen that error in a lot of B18 logs. At first I thought it was the cause of some of the tech support issues that were getting reported soon after release, and I thought caused by the Unity update and the subsequent out of date GPU drivers. But I've since started to think it's a harmless error, or maybe a Unity error that doesn't apply to RimWorld. Or at least I've seen it too often to think it's causing problems.

I have that error in the log on all three of my machines and no GPU update or GPU setting seems to get rid of it. And I can't see or notice any error in the game while playing either. But maybe it's something that wouldn't be immediately obvious, like a shadow not displaying or the like.

But if anyone reading this knows what that log error is referring to, and causing in regard RimWorld then please don't be silent :)

@ jchavezriva - I loaded your save, reformed the caravan for that raiding party of two, sent them home and let the game run. Didn't get any issues and the log was clean throughout.

So I think the best course of action is to just play as normal and if the game crashes again then post the log file from that crash (and without restarting the game). The most likely suspect is an out of memory crash, as you have two bases, one being large and mature, 25+ Pawns and just as many animals. Which are several of the usual indicators for memory issues. It's a lot rarer for a vanilla game to run out of memory than a modded game, but it's certainly still possible.

jchavezriva

Tried again and didnt crash either... Perhaps i had some other program running at the moment. Ok, ill update the post with a correct log if it happens again.

UPDATE: Crashed again!!

For some reason i had 3 mechanoid raids in a row. Then i noticed some extremelly rare graphical bugs, which i tried to screenshot, but as soon as i pushed the key the game crashed.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

Quote from: jchavezriva on December 19, 2017, 12:09:09 PM
Tried again and didnt crash either... Perhaps i had some other program running at the moment. Ok, ill update the post with a correct log if it happens again.
Okay, please post an update and log file if it happens again.

It might also be worth you periodically checking the Task Manager while playing, and to see how much memory RimWorld is using. If it's using 3Gb+ of RAM for any prolonged length of time then there's likely an increased chance of it crashing soon (at which point you can think about saving and exiting to the main menu to save your progress).

Edit - Just seen your update. The log gives the following as the cause of the crash:

Non interceptWallsInt explosive.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Crash!!!

Which seems to suggest this is a bug-crash rather than a memory-crash.

I'm afraid I can't offer you any solution to this though. As if this is a bug crash, and one that keeps happening for you with that save, then apart from obvious stuff like checking your GPU drivers are up to date (just in case), there might be nothing you can do until the devs fix it (and then release that fix in an update, which likely means B19, which could be week/months away from now).

jchavezriva

Bump due to the last post being yours from a few seconds after mine, therefore making impossible for you to notice the update from bugs section ↑↑↑

jchavezriva

Oh you noticed anyway. Ok i will wait.

Calahan

Quote from: jchavezriva on December 19, 2017, 12:51:48 PM
Bump due to the last post being yours from a few seconds after mine, therefore making impossible for you to notice the update from bugs section ↑↑↑
Hey, how dare you doubt my omnividence! ;D

Quote from: jchavezriva on December 19, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
Oh you noticed anyway.
Of course!