Memory problems and mod related GREED

Started by Madman666, January 03, 2018, 06:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Quote from: notfood on January 05, 2018, 11:35:19 AM
Yeah... the toogling is a unity issues. I've been meaning to fix it for a while with a patch mod...

So that purple color roof overlay shows when mods are loaded is a Unity related bug then, not RW's or caused by mods?

notfood

Yep, happens to everyone using Linux or Mac.

Madman666

Quote from: notfood on January 05, 2018, 12:30:54 PM
Yep, happens to everyone using Linux or Mac.

Weird... It doesn't happen if RW's unmodded on Linux. Oh, well. Better this purple crap than crashes. So despite couple weird quirks it has, I am really grateful for your advice to try it out.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 05, 2018, 09:33:43 AM
As to mod related greed the number of Mods where Rimworld kicks the bucket seems to be around 300-330 mods ..

Also the Number of Folders in the Modfolder has nearly the same effect on the loading time of rimworld as has the Number of activated mods.

So would it help to go through your mod folders and remove unnecessary things, like languages, source, etc. ? Or do you mean just the base folders for mods?

Madman666

One more problem I discovered - for some reason my favorite "Work Tab" mod, doesn't work correctly. It has a feature which lets you divide one big job to many small ones, without touching other ones. Like you can ctrl-click "cooking" and it will separate it to butchering, doing bills at cooking stove and etc, while all other stuff remains combined. In Windows it works fine, but in Linux ctrl-click only does sorting thing as if it doesn't register ctrl click at all. Damn, now thats really annoying :(

Seems to be either Unity or Linux problem, since there are people on linux having same problem.

notfood

Oh? I thought it was a bug that even windows had. Report it to Fluffy, he is happy to help.

Madman666

Quote from: notfood on January 05, 2018, 06:03:20 PM
Oh? I thought it was a bug that even windows had. Report it to Fluffy, he is happy to help.

Yep, already did. Apparently it does have something to do with key mapping in Ubuntu or something... Temporary workaround - using super button+ctrl and click - it kinda works, although mysteriously not every time. I guess these random quirks are what I was warned about before trying Linux out))

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on January 05, 2018, 05:50:11 PM
One more problem I discovered - for some reason my favorite "Work Tab" mod, doesn't work correctly. It has a feature which lets you divide one big job to many small ones, without touching other ones. Like you can ctrl-click "cooking" and it will separate it to butchering, doing bills at cooking stove and etc, while all other stuff remains combined. In Windows it works fine, but in Linux ctrl-click only does sorting thing as if it doesn't register ctrl click at all. Damn, now thats really annoying :(

Seems to be either Unity or Linux problem, since there are people on linux having same problem.

I think I remember reading elsewhere the other day about this. I think the person said they hold down ALT + SHIFT or something like that to get it to work. Might've been on the WorkTab thread.

EDIT: I suppose I should check the new posts before posting, hah!

notfood

I made a mod to fix the purple overlay issue. Can you test?

It's attached to this post.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Sniper Pilot

Madman666

Quote from: notfood on January 06, 2018, 07:34:01 PM
I made a mod to fix the purple overlay issue. Can you test?

It's attached to this post.

Gladly. I am taking that.

UPD: Works finely. It doesn't differentiate between thin roofs and thick\overhead mountain ones, but the fact that its no longer that sickening purple crap and its transparent enough to see something through it already makes a very desirable fix. So thanks a bunch.

Harry_Dicks

This thread has me seriously considering trying out Linux.

Madman666

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 07, 2018, 03:54:31 AM
This thread has me seriously considering trying out Linux.

If you play vanilla RW, on medium or so maps and use like 10-20 mods, I'd say you don't really need it, it plays fine on Windows.

But if you have tons of mods, play on largest maps with full planet generation like me and you have problems with game suddenly crashing to desktop - Linux seems to doesn't have that problem at all because it has 64 bit version of RW, which has unlimited access to your PCs RAM supply. Performance is also a bit better, because Ubuntu is way less demanding on PC resources.

You'll have to read a bit on forums, how to install proprietary drivers for your videocard and codecs for proper use of mediaplayers and such. But otherwise Ubuntu works pretty much out of the box and so far I really like its speed and visuals. Also, if you do want to try it - do it via dual boot with your regular windows system, because quite a bit of stuff that works under windows doesn't work on Linux.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 05, 2018, 04:08:27 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 05, 2018, 09:33:43 AM
As to mod related greed the number of Mods where Rimworld kicks the bucket seems to be around 300-330 mods ..

Also the Number of Folders in the Modfolder has nearly the same effect on the loading time of rimworld as has the Number of activated mods.

So would it help to go through your mod folders and remove unnecessary things, like languages, source, etc. ? Or do you mean just the base folders for mods?

I do delete mods that I don't use, or wanted to use but never did.
But I never thought of reducing the content of modfolders ( active or not ) because I saw enough bugs especially with missing or errors in language files.

Though done right the Idea sounds practible
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

1. Your sound problems aren't a Linux issue in general, but probably an Ubuntu problem. I hear sounds just fine.

2. Your game not recognising the correct 'version and mod ID number' is probably due to the mod author creating his/her mod on Windows and naming his/her 'About.xml' incorrectly, since Windows isn't case sensitive. It should be 'About.xml' instead of 'about.xml', so if that's the problem, just rename your file and tell the mod author about it. Sadly, Steam seems to be retarded in this regard, as well, so if this is the only thing the mod author changes, AFAIK the Steam workshop won't recognise the changes either and the author might have to add an empty text file to the mod, or something.

3. If you want a Linux distribution that's actually fast, don't use Ubuntu.