[B18] No Boom Boom 1.0 : No more Boom Rats and Boomalopes

Started by WalkingProblem, January 16, 2018, 12:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingProblem

Remove boom rats and boomalopes from your game.

Unless you spawn them with dev mode...
... they will not spawn naturally nor appear in manhunter packs

—-

Developer's Note: This is to get people off my back in Wild Animal Sex mod, where they keep complaining about boom rat infestations.... Get over it!

You guys owe me support on my Patreon. Fund my modding!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~~

https://www.patreon.com/walkingproblem

—-

NON-STEAM DOWNLOAD: http://walkingproblem.com/sdm_downloads/b18-no-boom-boom-1-0/
STEAM DOWNLOAD: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1271582812
FORUM LINK: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38269.0

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://walkingproblem.com/
DEVELOPER'S DISCORD: https://discord.gg/W2Vb27T
FACEBOOK PAGE: http://fb.com/walkingproblem
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/KingProDios
YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgUW0Ls2wbY8h79pV9xnMjw
TWITCH: https://www.twitch.tv/walkingproblem

SUPPORT ME ON PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/walkingproblem

crusader2010

A tweaked spawn rate would've been better. Or a random replacement of boomrats/boomalopes with any other random animal, until their population drops to a certain amount. Is it possible even?
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

Harry_Dicks

I'm down for 0% spawn. As I was saying in the other thread, I honestly hate boomrats, and boomalopes aren't far behind. The only reason I tolerate boomalopes now thought is because I need them for their neutroglycerin thanks to mods. But I will just spawn a couple of those in with dev mode, or start with them from Prepare Carefully. I hate how your game you can end up with a shit ton of both and they will be with you the whole time unless it manages to get too hot or cold for them. But they end up wasting my CPU and I would rather have a different herbivore that the carnivores can at least hunt. It can end up with too many of them after awhile, and you have to take your squad out when it's raining to take out the bunch of them. The boomrats aren't even worth their meat, at least the boomalopes have that going for them.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: crusader2010 on January 16, 2018, 04:53:59 PM
A tweaked spawn rate would've been better. Or a random replacement of boomrats/boomalopes with any other random animal, until their population drops to a certain amount. Is it possible even?

This is a "fix" for Wild Animal Sex - but it is also for people who just hates boomers altogether~

Going back to what you mentioned, what you are asking of me is too complicated. I can tweak the spawn rate, but they will still give mate and give birth. And if I tweak their birth rate - and then I am messing a lot with the vanilla creature. It will never end. And if I do random replacements, people who wants them, will get angry as well. 

So thats why, the easier solution is just to remove them altogether for people who dun like it.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 16, 2018, 06:56:52 PM
I'm down for 0% spawn. As I was saying in the other thread, I honestly hate boomrats, and boomalopes aren't far behind. The only reason I tolerate boomalopes now thought is because I need them for their neutroglycerin thanks to mods. But I will just spawn a couple of those in with dev mode, or start with them from Prepare Carefully. I hate how your game you can end up with a shit ton of both and they will be with you the whole time unless it manages to get too hot or cold for them. But they end up wasting my CPU and I would rather have a different herbivore that the carnivores can at least hunt. It can end up with too many of them after awhile, and you have to take your squad out when it's raining to take out the bunch of them. The boomrats aren't even worth their meat, at least the boomalopes have that going for them.

Then this mod is for you~ =D

Sarge

The only reason I don't like boomrats and boomelopes in the game is because it's completely fucking retarded. Other than that though it's great :P

This mod is definitely for me, thank you.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Sarge on January 23, 2018, 04:20:59 PM
The only reason I don't like boomrats and boomelopes in the game is because it's completely fucking retarded. Other than that though it's great :P

This mod is definitely for me, thank you.

IKR~ LOL

I know there will be people who would wants this~

crusader2010

Hi. A quick question: is it possible to add, for WildAnimalSex, an option to disable mating for boomrats and boomalopes? (i.e. they won't reproduce, at all, unless they are tamed).

WalkingProblem

Quote from: crusader2010 on January 25, 2018, 03:52:11 AM
Hi. A quick question: is it possible to add, for WildAnimalSex, an option to disable mating for boomrats and boomalopes? (i.e. they won't reproduce, at all, unless they are tamed).

So you want a "middle option" between this 2 mods? =x

RyanRim

They are integral parts of shrubland and desert climate maps so Idk where has WP got all those pessimistic mods to ban bugs and rats. Soon he will ban squirrels too, poor fellows.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: RyanRim on January 25, 2018, 07:00:37 AM
They are integral parts of shrubland and desert climate maps

Unless you are trying to be funny, please tell me how they are "integral" to these maps?

so Idk where has WP got all those pessimistic mods to ban bugs and rats

Also, sarcasm is hard to convey over text. If you aren't being sarcastic, why would you try to down someones mods they made for free, for you? It is like spitting in someone's face who does something nice for you, complete disrespect.

crusader2010

Quote from: Walking Problem on January 25, 2018, 03:56:25 AM
Quote from: crusader2010 on January 25, 2018, 03:52:11 AM

So you want a "middle option" between this 2 mods? =x

Basically yes :) and I love having options (they are the best thing programming can offer to a "customer", in my opinion).
The ultimate goal is to have more animal diversity and not just "booms" all over the map.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: crusader2010 on January 25, 2018, 09:40:06 AM
I love having options (they are the best thing programming can offer to a "customer", in my opinion).

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I absolutely love having different settings/sliders/whatever that I can tinker around with in the mod options. That being said, I can completely understand if these things are ever outside the scope of a mod's intent. However, I feel like the more "options" that are left open to be changed to whatever by the player, the better.

Within the context of RimWorld and modding options, I believe it will always be better if things are not binary. Why have things as only on/off, when we could have a type of gradient that we can set to anywhere in the middle that we would like. Of course, not everything will be like that and you might be stuck with only a binary choice. But for the others, I like having the ability to change things or manipulate the numbers ever so slightly to match my taste.

Maybe I think that a certain mod is absolutely brilliant and it's author a genius and I love everything about it, except I want to change maybe a small handful of values. If I cannot change whatever values I want to from within the mod options, then I will see if I can just edit the xml, which I can usually resolve my issues there. However, I understand that probably a very large percentage of people that play RimWorld would probably not go to these extents to change specific values of specific things from mods that they want changed. They might just have to suck it up and accept what they cannot change, or they might ask the mod author for some balance changes. I would bet that maybe 90% never edit the xmls, especially because they are on Steam anyway and leave the mods open to autoupdates that will overwrite their modifications every time.

With dev mode and god mode just a few clicks away, anyone has the ability to do any kind of cheats they need. It is up to the player to balance the game for themselves, and not ruin it in their eyes. My wish is for these sorts of abilities to be made available to the player though, when applicable, from within a mod options window. This way the player can further balance the game to suit their own vision. Using the mod example from earlier, maybe the player wants something from a mod but it is way overpowered, and they want to tone it down. If the only way is xml then it might not ever happen. I always think that instantly ups the professional and quality look of a mod 100% when it has a great mod options page.

Finally, I am not saying anyone without the mod options page is a poor quality or "lacking" mod in any way, shape, or form. I completely understand how it could lead to an incredible amount of extra work to have active variables that a player may adjust while the game is running. I would have absolutely zero clue on where to start implementing those ??? All I can do is just xml stuff, and I am still learning how to refine it and do it better as I go along. But if you asked me to make a mod options window for a mod with C# and assemblies and stuff, well, I wouldn't pass any sort of test!

RyanRim

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 25, 2018, 08:30:32 AM
They are integral parts of shrubland and desert climate maps

Unless you are trying to be funny, please tell me how they are "integral" to these maps?

so Idk where has WP got all those pessimistic mods to ban bugs and rats

Also, sarcasm is hard to convey over text. If you aren't being sarcastic, why would you try to down someones mods they made for free, for you? It is like spitting in someone's face who does something nice for you, complete disrespect.

In most seeds they are the most common animals statistically there. Certain cases they might even be the only ones to hunt. There have been posts made about this.

Not being sarcastic in any way, WP is one of modders with most respect towards people and I reflect that, although there are modders who inure insults and also reply cynically, same as users, who like to convoy normal debate about a mod into a personal warfare.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: RyanRim on January 25, 2018, 11:38:03 AM
In most seeds they are the most common animals statistically there. Certain cases they might even be the only ones to hunt. There have been posts made about this.

I did not ever think there would be a situation where boom animals are the only animals on the map to hunt. I would think that with this mod disabling them, that the game will try to fill the lack of herbivores with another herbivore that fits that biome and temperature. I am confident that boom animals are not extremophiles that can take more of either temperature extreme than any other animal in the game. So you will actually have something decent to hunt instead of getting a shit ton of boomalopes and rats. I play with RF - Configurable Maps, and I have the "wildlife" level turned up maybe 35% past vanilla already. I just really have no use for them except a few I will start with and breed from the beginning. My game will be more fun for me, I think. I can always spawn more in with dev mode if I really want to anyway.

Quote from: RyanRim on January 25, 2018, 11:38:03 AM
Not being sarcastic in any way, WP is one of modders with most respect towards people and I reflect that, although there are modders who inure insults and also reply cynically, same as users, who like to convoy normal debate about a mod into a personal warfare.

I understand what you mean. Maybe I read too much into it. My apologies.

RyanRim

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 25, 2018, 11:58:58 AM

I did not ever think there would be a situation where boom animals are the only animals on the map to hunt. I would think that with this mod disabling them, that the game will try to fill the lack of herbivores with another herbivore that fits that biome and temperature. I am confident that boom animals are not extremophiles that can take more of either temperature extreme than any other animal in the game. So you will actually have something decent to hunt instead of getting a shit ton of boomalopes and rats. I play with RF - Configurable Maps, and I have the "wildlife" level turned up maybe 35% past vanilla already. I just really have no use for them except a few I will start with and breed from the beginning. My game will be more fun for me, I think. I can always spawn more in with dev mode if I really want to anyway.

Never used the pre-landing configuration mods, and maybe I'm just unlucky. But since Ive played tens of savegames on shrubland, I know booms are very numerous, together with squirrels and plain rats, if good climate then elephants and boars. I personally like them since I utilize them as shields in combat (yes, Im a monster), but overall they are not annoying animals, although useless.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯