[B18] No Random Swamps (Update - Not a bug)

Started by malloc, January 16, 2018, 12:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malloc

The 'Select random site' button never selects the new swamp biomes when starting a new game.  Maybe this is intended as they are 'harder' than their normal cousins but if so, it's not Random.

Calahan

Are you sure? I just ran a quick test for a new vanilla game and Temperate Swamp came up as a random selection (after a couple of attempts).

This was an issue previously reported during the unstable testing of B18, but ison added swamp tiles to the allowed biome type for random selection. And my quick test suggests that this is indeed the case for B18.

Quote from: ison on November 06, 2017, 08:07:00 AM
Okay, I think they could be auto-choosable then (in the next unstable build).

So can you please confirm this is happening with a new vanilla game start (even if you don't think whatever mod you might be using will affect this, it might, so please disable all mods if you want to test this properly). Also please check that whatever world you are using has swamp tiles on it, and has enough swamp tiles so that it can be reasonably expected that one will be selected randomly within a certain number of re-rolls.

For reference, my test was on world seed "partners", with 30% coverage, default temperature, and 1 tick towards rainfall (which I assume would result in more swamp tiles, although my assumption could be wrong, as I don't know the precise mechanics regarding world and biome generation).

Edit - Just tested again and it took well over a hundred (maybe two hundred+) re-rolls for a swamp tile to appear randomly. But the same applies for an Ice Sheet, as only one of those appeared during the re-rolling. I'm not sure if this is because these tiles intentionally have a lower chance of being randomly selected (due to their more difficult nature), or if it's just because there are simply less of these biome tiles on the map. Either way they are randomly* selected, so the only question is whether their frequency is intentionally lower or not. (*depending on how random is defined in this sense. As it may not mean equally random, and that may be intentional).

malloc

Thanks for checking Calahan, I guess it was just the low probability that got me.  The planet was quite a bit drier than usual despite being on the normal settings so a few dozen tries just happened to not hit any of the bog/swamps.  Guess you can close this one.

Calahan

Yeah, if you only tried a few dozen re-rolls, and on a drier than default world, then chances are you'd need a bit of patience before a random swamp was presented to you.

I'll close this then as a non-bug. Thanks for reporting it though all the same (and thanks for posting with a follow-up so that this could be closed. Much appreciated).