[Request]Sex And babys

Started by Robertmra, June 07, 2014, 06:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertmra

i dont want to look a pervert, but this is the idea, the colonist will occasionally make babies and a message will appear: Female colonist and male colonist had a baby, a new colonist is growing (names of the colonists of course, and must be female and male for gods sake :P) and some few days latter a new colonist appears. can you guys make something like that? (ps. i dont understand mods i just use them).

Olek

That sounds more like Sim-world, not Rim-world :)

johntiger

Quote from: Olek on June 07, 2014, 09:22:15 AM

Instead of sims where people tell sims to have relationship, the colonists will choose to by themselves. That's more like Rimworld. You can't control relationship directly.

iame6162013

Quote from: johntiger on June 07, 2014, 10:22:48 AM

Instead of sims where people tell sims to have relationship, the colonists will choose to by themselves. That's more like Rimworld. You can't control relationship directly.
but what about a fear colony then?
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: iame6162013 on June 07, 2014, 04:18:24 PM

That would be the trade off... Keep your colonists happy and they have a baby every few ingame months... If the colonists are too unhappy or fearful they will never decide to have kids, thus your only way to get new colonists would be to capture and scare them :)

iame6162013

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on June 07, 2014, 05:05:20 PM
Quote from: iame6162013 on June 07, 2014, 04:18:24 PM

That would be the trade off... Keep your colonists happy and they have a baby every few ingame months... If the colonists are too unhappy or fearful they will never decide to have kids, thus your only way to get new colonists would be to capture and scare them :)
well you can ...uh force them :p
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Forge99

it would make sence (because its a game about a colony trying to survive)
but thats not where the games going, rimworld is a suvival sim not life sim

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Robertmra

Quote from: Forge99 on June 08, 2014, 05:01:09 AM
you're in a colony in a strange world. your only goal is to survive and die of old age? is that it?  :-\. makes no sense. why build a colony if everyone will die and the colony has no future for future inhabitants?
P.s: just saying, I'm not looking for a mod with these animations you're thinking ::), only these mechanics more or less as I explained.

AlyxMS

I can see this coming.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Robertmra

Quote from: AlyxMS on June 08, 2014, 12:24:40 PM
I can see this coming.
haha it's funny ;D, but let's not exaggerate.

Crimsonknight3

Well to be honest, here is where minimum viable population comes into play. If three people landed on a planet, even 2 women 1 man the likelyhood of them surviving long enough to create any sizeable population is extremely low. For pandas the minimum viable population is 50 because any less and inbreeding would happen to unacceptable levels. Any population needs many generations of breeding to create the diversity required to weed out genetic abnormalities. Look here is some reading on minimum viable population!

QuoteLong-term population census data are generally rare in ecology, but studies have shown the persistence of (sometimes small) populations over periods of 50, 75 and 100 years. Genetic analyses typically involve the estimation of loss of genetic diversity and fitness and projection to extinction. Some studies indicate that inbreeding depression alone can lead to extinction, even among wild populations. Thus, when considering the viability of a given population, one should consider whether the population is large enough to avoid inbreeding depression, if there is sufficient genetic diversity for adaptive change to occur, and if the population is large enough to avoid accumulating new deleterious mutations. Following Frankham et al., estimates of the population numbers required to overcome these effects (known as the effective population, Ne) are 50 to avoid inbreeding depression, 500-5000 to retain evolutionary potential, and 12 to 1000 to avoid the accumulation of deleterious mutations. Franklin proposed the 50/500 rule used by conservation practitioners, whereby an Ne of 50 is required to prevent an unacceptable rate of inbreeding, while a long-term Ne of 500 is required to ensure overall genetic variability. Given that the average Ne /N ratio is roughly 0.10 these rules of thumb translate to census sizes of 500 to 50,000 individuals.

Mattaru

You can't just request sex, at least buy me a drink first.

A baby as a low-chance random event (if you have two compatible m/f colonists) would be cool. You would have to look after the baby for
  • days before it becomes an adult colonist.

Olek

Quote from: Robertmra on June 08, 2014, 07:50:59 AM
Quote from: Forge99 on June 08, 2014, 05:01:09 AM
you're in a colony in a strange world. your only goal is to survive and die of old age? is that it?  :-\. makes no sense. why build a colony if everyone will die and the colony has no future for future inhabitants?

If your colonist is 27 years old, then you should get a good 19,000 days out of them before old age gets them, I doubt many games will go that long though ;P

Sethfcm

Well I have two things to say on this one.

One, it would be nice to be able to grow the population, like dwarf fortress it is an interesting if not particularly viable thing to do.

Secondly. On inbreeding, for one Inbreeding may cause issues, but wouldn't have significant effects for the first few generations, and besides even if it 'could' advanced technology is available in this game, and that includes medical I'm certain. Inbreeding only causes issues due to negative mutations (bad ones), and the tendancy for recessive genes to become prominent due to most people having them. The solution is gene therapy.
We have gene therapy today, but it isn't super advanced. By the time of Rimworld I'm certain treating basic genetic diseases, and basic gene augmentation is undoubtedly available if mechs, and space travel exist as well as everything else. So let's not discount it immediately.

Eitherway it's up to Tynan anyway. Also while it is funny to be honest we already have a semi present Hygene score in the form of cleaning up the colony, and it would be nice if my colonists would be happier/less prone to breakdowns if I gave them a shower or some sort of amenities (I don't care much for bathroom needs etc, but is the presence and use of amenities really all that bad?) I already give them carpets, and lamps etc. I can see afew other things being included possibly.