Stupid "Witnessed someone's death"

Started by AwesumnisRawr188, June 13, 2014, 07:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AwesumnisRawr188

Hey guys,

This is a bit of a rant and suggestion to change this status thingy.

Everytime your colonists kill a raider, they get it, and it brings the morale down, which I don't think should happen.

If anything, it should be "successfully defended colony" and ADD morale, instead of draining it.

If I kill a random person that's not hostile, or a fellow colonist, or if a colonist dies next to another, then the status should happen, but not when you kill someone trying to kill YOU.

Anyone agree?

Battlemage15

I do think witnessing a hostile's death should be a much smaller penalty to moral than witnessing a friendly's death.

Mattorious

While I do agree that it's a bit stupid to have the same level of morale drop as a fellow colonist, I have to disagree that the effect should be negated entirely. Killing someone, friend or foe is no small business, and unless someone is completely devoid of emotions, it's still quite a blow to have taken someone's life.

If a fellow colonist dies, morale drops by 10
If raider/pirate/savage is killed, morale drops by 3

My two cents ;)
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

AwesumnisRawr188

Yes, I suppose it should drop a little, but I still think there should be a "successfully defended the colony" status.

Battlemage15

Quote from: Mattorious on June 13, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
While I do agree that it's a bit stupid to have the same level of morale drop as a fellow colonist, I have to disagree that the effect should be negated entirely. Killing someone, friend or foe is no small business, and unless someone is completely devoid of emotions, it's still quite a blow to have taken someone's life.

If a fellow colonist dies, morale drops by 10
If raider/pirate/savage is killed, morale drops by 3

My two cents ;)

I can agree with this, though the hostile kill should only drop you 2 for each.  However, if someone is incapable of 'Caring' (I think this is what makes you incapable of being a Warden or Doctor), they should be immune to any and all of this.  They simply cannot care.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: AwesumnisRawr188 on June 13, 2014, 07:17:11 PM
Hey guys,

This is a bit of a rant and suggestion to change this status thingy.

Everytime your colonists kill a raider, they get it, and it brings the morale down, which I don't think should happen.

If anything, it should be "successfully defended colony" and ADD morale, instead of draining it.

If I kill a random person that's not hostile, or a fellow colonist, or if a colonist dies next to another, then the status should happen, but not when you kill someone trying to kill YOU.

Anyone agree?

I disagree, but people should also slowly get used to killing things (removing the status effect eventually) because "They dont care about anything anymore"
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Mattorious

Quote from: Battlemage15 on June 14, 2014, 12:57:22 AM
However, if someone is incapable of 'Caring', they should be immune to any and all of this.  They simply cannot care.

+1, this would be a neat little mechanic when Ty adds all of the random personality quirks.
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

StorymasterQ

Along with the above points, I would also like to add my +1 to "Successfully defended colony" morale buff. This ought to be added as soon as the last raider dies or they start retreating.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

tbrass

Or at least they should evolve toward a more violent/hardcore/viscous outlook. So, perhaps the first few times someone defends the colony, they are a bit taken back by taking a life (though they should still get a minor 'defended colony buff.)' After they have killed a number of people, ought they not get numb to the process? Or increase their 'defended colony' buff?

forsaken1111

Quote from: Mattorious on June 14, 2014, 07:41:27 AM
Quote from: Battlemage15 on June 14, 2014, 12:57:22 AM
However, if someone is incapable of 'Caring', they should be immune to any and all of this.  They simply cannot care.

+1, this would be a neat little mechanic when Ty adds all of the random personality quirks.
And those incapable of 'scary' or 'fighting' should receive double the penalty no?

harpo99999

but the scary disability is FIRE fighting, not fighting(melee/shooting)

forsaken1111

Quote from: harpo99999 on June 16, 2014, 07:31:15 PM
but the scary disability is FIRE fighting, not fighting(melee/shooting)
My thought was that if you're incapable of doing anything 'scary' then witnessing combat would be pretty bad. As you say though, currently the only 'scary' labor is firefighting.

StorymasterQ

"Ooh, fire. Scary!"
That sounds so camp. I have said this before.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

You're right; I'm going to split it into two versions: witnessed death and witnessed stranger death.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog