Whats the big deal with infestations?

Started by Hjack9090, April 12, 2018, 10:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hjack9090

When i get an infestation, I can usually deal with it by just melee rushing then bugs first (with more focus on the mega spiders), then smashing the hive to death. I guess I could have just been extremely with the hive spawns so far. Lemme know how it usually plays out for you guys

Call me Arty

Well, y'see, things don't just deal damage in Rimworld, like most games. If you have 100 health in most games and take a 10-damage sword swipe to anywhere, you lose 10 health. In Rimworld, each body part has its own individual health (as you probably know) and there are the dodge/miss mechanics. I wouldn't doubt that you're a lucky bastard who gets good shots on the bug's eyes or critical spots while only taking hits to not-so-vital places like the torso or leg. You could also melee-rush Scythers, but I've had a non-insignificant number of pawns one-shot because a charge lance hit a vital organ.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Sirportalez

@op: You need to play Rimworld more often to understand why they can be dangerous.

Ser Kitteh

The problem is when a hive pops up in a 6x5 bedroom and your pawn with no melee is sleeping and you need to rush out and the hive spawns like a dozen insects at once.

Hives currently suck and needs a serious rework.

Shurp

Or... don't build your bedrooms underground.  This isn't Dwarf Fortress :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

Bah no, you need the little extra challenge !!
Build your base under the biggest Bug hive err mountain you can find ! :-)
But if you want it easy, find a permafrost region, Bug don't like the cold.

Nameless

Try to melee 20 megaspiders and 30 spelopede...

nefarian11

The issue with infestation imo is how their difficulty ramps up. Early game you just get 1-2 hives that spawn 2-3 bugs each, but in the late game you quickly get overrun when 10+ hives spawn, each spawning at least 6 insects. When you have to deal with 35+ bugs that target all your furniture and maim everything that is alive, it's simply not fun anymore.

You barely have the time to regroup all your colonists in a safe spot and already half of your base is completely gone. Their ridicolous numbers also means that each time you engage a pocket, the chances of them permanently maiming at least one of your colonists (and making them useless most of the time) are extremely high.

Infestations are a cool idea, but in the current form they are not fun at all.

Canute

wau nefarian11,
looks like your rediscover the original design why infestion's got added into the game ! :-)
Yeah infestion are made for to ruin the mountain bases.
If you base is on a plain field, a infestion which appear into some mining cave you digged, you don't care about it at first. Even when 10+ hives appear.

But in a mountenouse base, where you have some better defence against other threads like droppod raids, tornado's and such kind, you need to plan ahead for an infestion.

nefarian11

Quote from: Canute on April 13, 2018, 04:11:14 PM
wau nefarian11,
looks like your rediscover the original design why infestion's got added into the game ! :-)
Yeah infestion are made for to ruin the mountain bases.
If you base is on a plain field, a infestion which appear into some mining cave you digged, you don't care about it at first. Even when 10+ hives appear.

But in a mountenouse base, where you have some better defence against other threads like droppod raids, tornado's and such kind, you need to plan ahead for an infestion.

Except that there's no way to plan for an infestation, since the locations where the hives spawn are random and you don't have the TIME to react and mount up a defense. The original design for infestation was to add a threat to people that created indestructable bunkers with the only entry being a killzone with 32 turrets, not the abominations they are right now.

Right now, at high difficulties infestations are be a scripted game-over most of the time, depending on where the hives spawn. Even if you manage to kill all the bugs and hives, making a comeback is near impossible. The losses will be tremendous, and most of your colonists will have at least lost a limb, or at the very least received multiple scars, and repairing everything will take an incredible amount of time and resources.

I don't bunker myself inside mountains and i don't build any killbox, but i like mountain bases. I don't see why my fun should be ruined because of an event that is badly implemented. Thankfully you can disable them, so it's not a problem.

Dashthechinchilla

A large bug hive is like a swarm of scythers with no charge lances. The just chop off every limb they hit. It reminds me of a scene from starship troopers.

Shurp

Infestations are supposed to destroy underground bases.  That's a feature, not a bug.  If you don't like that feature, yes, disable it.  That is one of the very nice things about Rimworld -- you can remove most things that don't make the game fun for you.

For the rest of us who keep that feature, we dig underground to mine, and then we board up our mines when we're done to keep the bugs in :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dashthechinchilla

I don't disable them because in vanilla they are one of the only native species. The only if you think of megasloths as terran mutants.

Protect native.... gya! The spelopede got me!

Canute

Dashthechinchilla,
you should try out the Starship Troopers Arachnid mod :-))
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32625.0