Alignment chart for things in Rimworld

Started by Call me Arty, June 06, 2018, 04:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

AlignmentLawfulNeutralChaotic
GoodLawful GoodNeutral GoodChaotic Good
NeutralLawful NeutralTrue NeutralChaotic Neutral
EvilLawful EvilNeutral EvilChaotic Evil

Y'know. This kinda thing. I just had an argument with a bunch of friends about how  this would look for superheroes, and thought it'd be neat for the various things in Rimworld. For example:

AnimalsLawfulNeutralChaotic
GoodThrumboMuffaloChicken
NeutralCowPigBoomalope
EvilTimber WolfAlphabeaverManhunter Yorkies

Technically, they'd all be neutral from a roleplaying point of view, but it's the way you encounter them in the game that altered my feelings about them. The black hole of frames that is an out-of-control chicken population, the fact that no amount of turrets can seem to defend against a bunch of tiny yellow (and adorable) targets, etc.

Maybe an overly dumb or nerdy idea, but I feel like there's a lot of strong opinions that this forum can agree on.

If you want the setup I used in my tables, I believe quoting this will show the setup, then you can just paste the new stuff over what I have. Ctrl-F helps.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Toast

Uses for "Yorkies Join" event:

YorkiesLawfulNeutralChaotic
GoodNuzzle RoomBonded Animal mood boostFree-range pest control
NeutralSold to friendly colonySold to orbital traderSold to trader with large leather stock
EvilDinnerRaider baitHats

Shurp

Prisoners:

PrisonersLawfulNeutralChaotic
GoodRecruitEndless Friendly ChatCatch and Release
NeutralSold to friendly colonySold to orbital traderExecute
EvilHarvest OrgansHatsRaw Cannibalism
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Call me Arty

Didn't expect this to actually get two good responses as the first replies and so soon. Neat. Thanks, my dudes.

Also, dammit, thought I had an original bone in my body.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

cultist

It really should be called a morality chart, because it barely even breaks the skin on the discussion of what good and evil actually mean and how they complement each other.
On the other hand, I guess the name comes from the fact that you align yourself with a deity with a similar moral outlook - that's the orginal purpse of the D&D alignment chart IIRC.

Call me Arty

Quote from: cultist on June 07, 2018, 09:41:17 AM
It really should be called a morality chart, because it barely even breaks the skin on the discussion of what good and evil actually mean and how they complement each other.
On the other hand, I guess the name comes from the fact that you align yourself with a deity with a similar moral outlook - that's the orginal purpse of the D&D alignment chart IIRC.

I kinda disagree. Whenever I fill it out, there's some pretty interesting discussion. There's a true neutral, but there's no such thing as "pure evil" or "absolute good". Adolf Hitler is the poster child for bad dudes, so you'd figure he'd go in Chaotic Evil, which might be the evilist box in the chart. Thing is though, the guy had systems, and was working towards an ideal. Therefore, Mr. Evil Von Evilson would be Neutral Evil. It means a lot to put someone in one of those boxes.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Call me Arty on June 07, 2018, 09:56:52 AM
Adolf Hitler is the poster child for bad dudes, so you'd figure he'd go in Chaotic Evil, which might be the evilist box in the chart. Thing is though, the guy had systems, and was working towards an ideal. Therefore, Mr. Evil Von Evilson would be Neutral Evil. It means a lot to put someone in one of those boxes.

I love Western cultural biases. Hitler worked towards Jews annihilation and has been recognized as the most evil person ever... However...when Israelis "ALSO" work towards Palestinian annihilation... the Westerns... turn the blind eye... Then of course... the United Shits of America moves their embassy to Jerusalem...

cultist

Quote from: Call me Arty on June 07, 2018, 09:56:52 AM
I kinda disagree. Whenever I fill it out, there's some pretty interesting discussion. There's a true neutral, but there's no such thing as "pure evil" or "absolute good". Adolf Hitler is the poster child for bad dudes, so you'd figure he'd go in Chaotic Evil, which might be the evilist box in the chart. Thing is though, the guy had systems, and was working towards an ideal. Therefore, Mr. Evil Von Evilson would be Neutral Evil. It means a lot to put someone in one of those boxes.

It's flawed in a lot of ways, but to take your example, the system essentially links being chaotic to being evil, because it considers chaotic evil to be the polar opposite of lawful good. The deeper issue here is the mixing of law/chaos and good/evil - assuming that there's no real difference between personal morals (good/evil) and societal morality (lawful/chaotic). "Neutral" (on the law/chaos scale) is also kind of a nonsensical term as most people's view on a crime is highly skewed based on who commited it, the nature of the crime, the circumstances etc. In reality, most people are "neutral" in regards to law because they aren't going to act against their own will or judgement simply because the laws states that they must.

But as I said, it's a system designed to pick a deity and serve as a roleplaying tool and not much else. It does that job admirably.

Ramsis

Do we really need this kind of conversation going on gents?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Call me Arty

Quote from: Ramsis on June 07, 2018, 10:57:09 AM
Do we really need this kind of conversation going on gents?

AdministratorsLawfulNeutralChaotic
Good
Neutral
EvilRamsis

In all seriousness, do you mean the conversation about morality in reference to real-life peoples and events, or the alignment charts?

If it's about the real-life people and discussion of morality and how it might be a little iffy, keep inmind you had to scroll past the guy who made a chart depicting eating raw human flesh as an option in the game this forum is devoted to. Considering the genocide of Sheriffs and Pyromaniacs that occur on a daily basis, I'd figure Hitler's fair game for conversation and comparison to kobolds.

If your concern is the alignment charts, then, well, it's not too different from the art thread, just with less talent involved. Like, a lot less talent.

Ramsis

Just keep the aggressive stuff to the low end please.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Call me Arty

Quote from: Ramsis on June 07, 2018, 01:18:52 PM
Just keep the aggressive stuff to the low end please.

I didn't see Yoshida's post, if that's what you meant. I just don't see a whole lot of "aggressive" stuff in this thread. Mostly just jokes.

Call me Arty

Let's get this thread back on track.

WeaponsLawfulNeutralChaotic
GoodAssault RifleBolt Action RifleLMG
NeutralRevolverAutopistolMinigun
EvilSniper RifleIncendiary LauncherPsychic Shock Lance

ModsLawfulNeutralChaotic
GoodHospitalityVegetable GardenRimsenal
NeutralPrepare CarefullyAllow ToolCrashlanding
EvilCheaper ComponentsMore Monster GirlsRim of Madness: Cults

OFWG

Just have to say that labeling boomalopes as "chaotic neutral" brings me great amusement for some reason.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Call me Arty

Quote from: OFWG on June 07, 2018, 06:00:23 PM
Just have to say that labeling boomalopes as "chaotic neutral" brings me great amusement for some reason.

I actually switched to generators for the first time ever, after only using renewable energy. Had a small herd of cute 'lil boomies keeping the colony running.
Then I got raided. A lot of boomies got hurt. I put them all in the same animal hospital.
Then one died. Surrounded by many of their near-death friends.
It is this memory that has them in their place.