Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m44v

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 14, 2018, 05:01:01 PM
Eggs have to be forbidden when laid as they could be fertile. Would you want your haulers to take fertile eggs you want to hatch to the freezer all the time because they were laid unforbidden and they they are now infertile eggs? Also you can just drag the unforbid tool across your paddock once a day no need to find and click the eggs individually.
If eggs are unfertile they are forbidden anyway, fertile or not they're not forbidden if laid inside the home area. You can forbid fertile eggs from your freezer, which I think is more useful and practical. Although fertile eggs that were ruined by temperature still count as fertile eggs for stockpile and recipes purposes, which I found mildly annoying in some cases.

rizurper

Quote from: m44v on July 14, 2018, 05:16:08 PM
If eggs are unfertile they are forbidden anyway, fertile or not they're not forbidden if laid inside the home area. You can forbid fertile eggs from your freezer, which I think is more useful and practical. Although fertile eggs that were ruined by temperature still count as fertile eggs for stockpile and recipes purposes, which I found mildly annoying in some cases.
How about change "unfertile egg" to just "egg" and put this unfertile egg and ruined egg in this same "egg" category.

robno

Quote from: alxddd on July 14, 2018, 03:13:59 PM
Quote from: Rulin on July 14, 2018, 12:06:44 PM

It would be great to use the Z-key to mine (harvest) stone and ores instead of L. It is a key you already use to harvest plants.
So why not streamlining the controls here to some extend? Imo you can also reach it better with your left hand, especially people with qwertz keyboards.

Thanks for listening!

best QoL suggestion I've seen in a long time. without really realizing it, having to cross the keyboard for that L-key is probably the most annoying keyboard shortcut I can think of in any game.
Thirded, as far as possible keyboard shortcuts should always be reachable by the left hand (or preferably configurable).

jchavezriva

This is not just about a greedy character, this is happening with all colonists.

They are describing like this a room fully floored, clean and with decent space. That cant be intended right?

Doesnt seem "unsightly" at all...

[attachment deleted due to age]

cactusmeat

while we are on the topic of hotkeys, slaughter animal should not be the same key as hunt. i have accidentally killed off some huskies and when trying to hunt a squirrel in my crops. playing on speed 4 isn't always the greatest...

also the hotkeys are configurable, and the defaults are mostly terrible I feel.

Greep

So I tried a few runs with animal swarming, and I found it actually completely ineffective mostly due to raid sizes, at least on extreme anyways.  There is just an overwhelming amount of difference.  It was so bad I had to decompile the game to find out why things went the way it did.

Case in point:  with just a few tribal pawns and all my wealth being corn and kibble, my first non-weak raid at 40 days was 14 elite merceneries in mostly power armor with miniguns, lmgs, and assault rifles.  Not joking.  I think I usually get like.. 8 crappy pirates with pistols?

Here's the total differences between b18

-many animals no longer haul
-animal upkeep

-animal wealth now counts towards raids, which is now extremely significant

-on top of that, combat animals now count in addition to that with a special combat power rating.  Since part of my force was elephants, many of which had yet to be fully trained for war, this was huge as they have 4 times the combat power of boars and the ones in training weren't even useable.  From what I can gather, though the elephant's market value is 600, it's total raid contribution counts roughly as if it were 3000 in addition to that. 

So basically, that elephant that's still sitting at obediant waiting to be trained counts to raids about as much as an excellent piece of power armor  ::)  And tallying up my animals' raid contributions at the moment, I probably could have decked out my 7 pawns in power armor, power armor helmets, an charge rifles.

Edit: blugh, code diving makes me sad.  Now I also know why the refugee chased raids now feel like suicide:
incidentParms.points *= 1.45f
so if your normal raids are 20 tribals, say hello to 29  ::)
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Syrchalis

Quote from: jchavezriva on July 14, 2018, 06:48:43 PM
This is not just about a greedy character, this is happening with all colonists.

They are describing like this a room fully floored, clean and with decent space. That cant be intended right?

Doesnt seem "unsightly" at all...
It takes a while to get the need for beauty up. During sleep it doesn't move at all.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

protobeard

Naked Brutality, Extreme, 1064, Temperate Forest, Mountains with Caves and Ants

First three single person raids (2 normal, one refugee event) all decided the best thing to do was attack the insects on the map. RIP raiders. In fairness, they didn't have to go far out of the path to my base to do so... but one raider literally chased a spelopede almost halfway across the map to keep melee attacking it as it fled. At this point I have no real idea what causes the cave ants to decide whether to attack or flee -- they attacked and wrecked the first two raids, then decided to run away from the third raid.

Had a Doe and an Ibex Doe self tame during the first ~12 days -- they were easier to train than I remembered, and reasonably useful against the single mad animal events. I guess I'll keep them around for a bit :)

Watched my level 4 constructor botch building a grave three times in a row. I thought this was removed back in A17 (iirc, it was an issue with graves incorrectly having a quality?), so I'm not sure if bringing this behavior back was intentional or not.

Day 34, finally feeling like things might be off the ground -- I now have three colonists, 3 short bows, and a small base. I'm about to build a water mill! Three person raid arrives - one with a knife, one with a pistol, and one with a pump shotgun on go-juice. I retreat into my storage room to snipe as they attack, and plan to release my animals when they get close. Shotgun raider runs up and shoots my initial colonist Anita in the liver with a 10% chance to hit (I believe it was shot 3, taken as Anita was retreating back into the base).

I survive the raid, but even with a reasonably clean room, one person doctoring and the other cleaning throughout the treatment, Anita gets an infection in her torso. Since she was shot in the liver, that means she's dead (I did have my best doctor tend her with healroot just in case, but no dice). The colony can't survive without her, so RIP.

Perhaps I'm just much worse at 1.0 than previous alphas/betas, but it seems like it's *much* easier for a colonist to get one shot now.

Lori1979

2 strange things I've noticed:

1. People are no longer becoming lovers, even after a long time

2. When you kill all the wildlife for food, nothing new comes in the map anymore, so it's just empty.

Oblitus

Quote from: m44v on July 14, 2018, 04:46:53 PM
Wimps are pretty useful for collecting jelly inside infestations, they can even come back on their own with just minor injuries in the event that they wake up the nest. No rescue needed!

Anyway, I have a problem with chickens, or any egg laying animal since I believe this is common to them. If I'm short of food, and there's grass outside, I let all the herbivores out. Of course if you do that you increase the work of haulers and handlers, because they have to go out and find the pet and train it/shear/whatever, but chickens, their eggs default to forbidden and I have to scan the whole place unforbidding eggs so haulers can pick them, manually, every game day. Milk, wool and chemfuel in the same situation won't spawn forbidden so WHY?.

I realize the reason is that a pawn doesn't need to go and force the egg out of the chicken, and they're outside the home area. Still, those chickens *are* colony animals, so their eggs should default unforbidden and save me some annoying micro.
I think it is the last pure QoL from my Animals Logic not yet implemented. Although in my case they are not only unforbidded, layers are seeking some kind of bed before.

Other things with eggs:
* You can't set production bills to use only ruined eggs.
* Youll want to leave fertilized eggs in place because putting them together changes incubation times. But left on open, they suffer from the weather.

Syrchalis

Quote from: Lori1979 on July 14, 2018, 09:22:52 PM
2 strange things I've noticed:

1. People are no longer becoming lovers, even after a long time

2. When you kill all the wildlife for food, nothing new comes in the map anymore, so it's just empty.
Can't confirm, I made two guys gay and they instantly became a couple (lol). Also I usually kill a lot of animals if I want other types to wander in. It just takes a while (few days).
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Lori1979

another weird thing: I have a bunch of smokeleaf joints laying around all over the map: FORBIDDEN. Still, one of my pawns goes on a smokeleave binge. How is this possible? If those are forbidden they shouldn't be able to take them!

Broken Reality

People on mental breaks ignore forbidden things such as drugs and doors.

Trallhatt

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 14, 2018, 09:42:27 PM
People on mental breaks ignore forbidden things such as drugs and doors.

If you run the tutorial help-thing it even says it can happen (if i remember correctly, or i read it elsewhere), so its by design.

Ser Kitteh

General thoughts and issues:

1. We can see the amount of leather in crafting bill, why not the same when selecting material for armchairs and the like?

2. There are bionic kidneys or lungs, is this intended?

3. I'm still waiting for that reply on that whole animal combat thing. No rush!

4. Probably a stretch but I hope we can make bulk foods/drugs instead of using the stool micro meta.

5. Animals should default to not follow/owned because some animals are far too valuable to go out in the wild.

6. A deep drill that has no more resources to gather should not auto-forbid. Also, you CAN'T reinstall them if they forbid, which can really waste power if players are forgetful as goldfish like me.

7. When doing an operation, I usually micromanage my best doctor to do it. However, if you choose a doctor to do it, while ANOTHER doctor is holding the prosthesis, it doesn't tell you. The player gets confused and seconds later noticed the medic with 7 Medicine already hauling the prosthesis and doing surgery. In short, the doctor holding the prosthesis should drop it if you force-order your best doctor to do it. It gives you a "required material missing" message while in actually the 7 Medicine medic is holding it in the first place.

8. Armor for head/body should be a seperate tab. Not a big deal now, but it will be when mods update.

9. Is it possible to make more microtabs for crafting? Even in vanilla 1.0, the large amount of bills shown after everything is research is still a lot. I'd rather have stuff like flak>flak pants/flak vest/flak jacket. Same goes for "longblades" for the smithy and "torso/pants/headwear" for the tailoring bench, for example. Just look at any modded game in B18 for ludicrousness.