Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Something that I noticed today is that enemies are a bit dumb when it comes to bridges and fording rivers.

Basically, if the colony defenders are shooting you from across a river and all you have are melee weapons, you should be looking to get out of their firing range or at the very least hop from one bit of cover to another, not run along the bank of the river to try to get to the bridge.

Sure, if you have numbers, maybe you can just rush across the river, but with just three guys, you want to cross that river as soon as you arrive.

Hope this helps.

Ser Kitteh

Thoughts on caravaning:

1. New UI features are an absolute godsend. As is the requirement of plotting a course first.

2. Once upon, a long time ago, Tynan mentioned putting the "Merge" option on screen to give players the idea that this was in fact possible. I don't need it of course, but it would be nice for new players.

3. The option to "pause" is also good, but it might better to expand on that by rewriting it to "Rest" and "Hunt/Forage a lot more". This of course causes the issue of how hunting anything predatory works, but I personally wouldn't mind leaving it to a dice roll.

4. Sometimes, while paying attention to your colony, MANY players (and I see this a lot with some RW YouTubers) forget that they have pawns travelling on the map. I think it would best to give a notification sorts, a message on the right, to tell players that the caravan has arrived at their destination. The "caravan has arrived at Ludeon" just isn't attention grabbing enough. This is pretty much always a problem with merchant caravans, because you forget due to a fire/raid/whatever and then run out of food and other problems.

5. One of my travelling colonists contacted plague (two man caravan), and was pretty much a goner due to me not having good Medicine on hand, just Herbal. It would be nice if, being on a friendly settlement spot on the map, you can pay for better medication. Even something as a "pay X silver until healed", it would encourage players to travel. This wasn't the first time caravaning, but imagine if I were a new player, I'd probably never touch caravans ever again.

6. The quests are good. Some are laughable as it was in B18 (18 bowler hats for 3 antigrain warheads lol) but overall a huge improvement in regards to reward balancing and money value shown.

Woona

Played a couple year-long runs as crashlanded and tribal starts. General progression is slower: slower building, farming, researching and more time spent on recreation. It is balanced by weaker early game raids, but there is still a possibility to get hit by a toxic fallout or psychic ship early and unprepared.

Mechanoids seem imbalanced: scythers and lancers are too weak and centipedes are extremely strong. I had two average colonists armed with revolver and sniper rifle defeat two lancers while hiding behind some rock chunks without getting injured. On the other hand, killing a centipede took hours for an entire colony since most bullets are deflected with new armor mechanics.

I didn't use caravans much before 1.0, but now they're in good shape. I went for all incapacitated refugees and unprotected item stashes. Willingly weakening your colony for a few days with a possibility of a great reward feels very satisfying, and the new UI is easy to use.

With nerfs to farming crops, I found myself relying on hunting more often, especially for a tiny colony with less than 10 people. Hunting animals is even faster now with the finishing move. Sadly, you can't finish an animal with a right-click menu while drafted. You have to set up the hunting job, undraft, prioritize hunting, then wait and draft again. Killing big animals is still very easy with a big hunting team without getting harmed, corpses are still easily transported into freezer, and they provide a lot of meat.

With changes to leather types and tailoring time, I never encountered any problems with clothes. Didn't bother to strip down any corpses, and even sold off some crafted clothes to traders for extra money.

Recreation plays a bigger role in the game now but I noticed that when you send a colonist far away for resource gathering, while he travels the recreation bar drops below threshold and immediately after arriving, he travels all the way back. This happened before, but now it's very frequent.

There are still no notifications for dangerous predators. I try to regularly check the map and shoot predators before they eat my people. But as always, I got distracted and a bear mauled my colonist.

I usually play with mods and it was great to see many popular mods implemented into the base game. But playing the unstable version without WorkTab was painful.

Thanks for another great update.

Madman666

Raiders now can use firearms in close combat point blank. Wow. This release sure doesn't pull any punches. Even less sense to send someone into melee now, that you can just get a bullet in the face point blank... I guess thats fair though. There's no place for medieval savagery in digital age.

Julia

"1. It was random and useless unless it was your grower. Better have a proper trait than this wasting space."

So Lazy and Creepy Breathing are better random traits? ;o

It was a great design, even if it wasn't on a grower, that's where you have to think about usefulness of pawns. I dont play with skills decay, so I dont have problems with grinding pawns all the time.

"@Julia: Green Thumb isn't really needed any more because colonists who have a passion for doing a particular kind of job will now get a nice mood buff when they do that job."

Double buff! =]

ceofiofy

Insane update, ultra-realistically rebalanced stuff ( +1 for the beer bottle buff btw).
Quote from: Tynan on June 16, 2018, 11:11:56 PM
-Adjusted balance of learning rates for various skills. Easier: Melee, shooting, social. Harder: Intellectual, growing, mining.
Love you! Never managed to have a colonist raise his social skill by more than 2 points ever.
The bridge implementing was a little late and fishing isn't here yet... other than that and a few things, it feels great and challenging, filled with action.
Speaking about action, the new raid type is insane and because of the new turret mechanic, you can't build a killbox to rely on anymore haha. Thanks for that. Thanks for the nasty sappers too.

Great job to the dev team and the modders who came up with irresistible improvements to the game. It's still a lot more to be done though, but the potential is limitless.
Obsessed with fishing.

Tynan

Thanks for the ongoing feedback! This is very useful.

Just so y'all know, the reason I never put fishing (or many other suggested things like gold panning) into the game is because it would add another work type and maybe another skill. I consider this to be a pretty heavy interface/complexity burden, so I'm trying to add content that doesn't add more numbers and boxes to the primary ways people interact with the game.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ChJees

I am having tons of fun with just Core, Alien Race Framework, Orassans, Androids, Prject RimFactory & Mechanite Forge in 1.0 .
Vanilla gameplay really stands on its own now :D.

From what i noticed though is that even with Healroot growth nerf i am getting WAY too much of it now with my bigger farm. Also why no batch recipe for drugs like Smokeleaf joint, Flake & Yayo yet?
Oh and for people who previously got a crapton of corn from their farm in B18 just need to make them bigger if they still want a ton.

Main thing I like is that I no longer have steel and component "starvation". Must probably be because of the lower component cost of stuff now.

Raids are pretty irregular though. Some times i can get many raids in succession and other times it takes seasons for me to get a raid.

Ser Kitteh

7. Forgot to mention another thing in regards to caravan: it's the issue of being only 4 tiles away but because it's night welp they better rest! I think one of the comic artists on reddit did that already.

I'm not sure how a Force March would work. It needs to balance with Rest, so maybe have a literal rest meter be a thing? Perhaps not individually, but a general sort of thing that takes account all colonists, prisoners and animals.

Tynan

I'm pushing another build.

One notable change is that you start with armor in the default scenario now. I'm not 100% sure of this but I want to see how it plays out.

Below I'll post the raw changelog for all changes since the first 1.0 unstable (1936) since I didn't post them before. Here's the sausage being made. The below commits are by a mix of me, ison (Piotr Walczak) and ZorbaTHut (Ben Rog-Wilhelm).

---

Fix: Blueprint graphics for wall/sandbags/door don't match the edge detect shader properly (missing inner solid transparent field)
Removed some text that doesn't pluralize well.
Unified table style so all tables fit the cell more precisely.
A bit more text content.
Added multicount silver graphics.
Adjust some apparel draw sizes. Won't be visible in-game until we fix bug that causes drawSize to do nothing on apparel items.
Added new multicount graphics for steel.
Multi-stackcount graphics for stone blocks.
Various item art improvements.
Add wood log full stack graphic.
Adjust smokeleaf joint graphics for size.
Refined wood log graphics.
Unified health item graphics.
Simplyify body part item graphics.
Uranium is no longer a small-volume ingredient.
Precious lump more likely to form with uranium, less likely with jade.
Made StatPart_Difficulty more sensible (though it's not actually used anywhere :/)
Buff flak vest and flak pants.
Start with flak vest, flak pants, plasteel helmet.
Food poisoning chance is now affected by difficulty.
Wanderer joins letter text specifically notes that you can't question the pawn.
Fill in some text_todo for new body parts.
Wall smoothing work amount 9000 -> 6500.
Changed "abandon" gizmo order.
When RegionTraverser finds a small region, put it to the front of the queue instead of the back.
When health tab is empty, instead of writing "(no injuries)" we now write "(no health conditions)" in the center.
Fix: "Show what will buy" gizmo overlaps "choose landing location" buttons.
Fix: Index out of bounds exception in ToTitleCaseSmart() while generating names.
We no longer warn about proximity goodwill change when settling near permanent enemies because it's pointless.
Fix: "Romance attempt" interaction repetitive text.
Some minor changes to string.Flatten() and string.MergeMultipleSpaces().
GrammarResolver is now more careful while removing excessive whitespace. This fixes issues with incorrect linebreaks in letters.
Rebalanced some prosthetics-related thoughts.
Refine shadow data for buildings.
Clean up some shooting accuracy code, collected constants together.
Clarified refugee pod crash letter and made it specific to the pawn who is crashing. Added _title text output from pawns. So now you can use [PAWN_title] in any text.
Fix minigun and charge blaster balance. Minimum accuracy for ranged weapons changed to 0.01.
Fix: Missing translation tags for direct hit chance and miss radius.
-Balance down watermill 1400 -> 1200 watts. -Healroot grow time 10 -> 7 (crop version only, wild version remains at 10). -Flak pants occupy middle layer (can't be worn under power armor).
Tie forcedMissRadius to whether a weapon is explosive; remove it from non-explosive weapons and adjust accuracy.
Fix: Adjusted forced miss is not applied properly.
Move verb-related ConfigErrors into VerbProperties.
Pass a little extra information into ApplyPatches.
Abstract mod loading into a variety of overridable functions.
Fix: Phrasing mistake.
Fix: Typo.
Added stat minValue where appropriate.
Raiders are no longer allowed to self-tend.
Fix 3443: Colonist with low Animals skill gets 'Product Wasted' when shearing alpaca, but alpaca still has 100% wool
Fix 3439: Item stash contains Silver, Silver, Silver, Silver, and Silver
Fixed back compatibility issue with ScenPart_IncidentBase.
Fix 3435: Backwards compatibility: Issues with missing/changed defs edition
Allow tribalwear for all starts (for naked brutality scenario, mostly).
More content for interaction descriptions.
Fixed issues with hediffs B18 back compatibility.
Fixed some B18 back compatibility issues.
Reduced predator prevalence in most biomes about 30%.
Balance prevalence of harvestable wild plants (mostly reducing raspberries).
Goodwill daily gain and fall for factions reduced 0.5 -> 0.25
Adjusted and added some content for world feature name generation.
Fix: Semi-frequent errors on world generation from name use checking by text generators.
RulePack refactoring. Fix: Tribe factions use outlander union names for name generation.
Rulepacks refactor and naming consistency.
Some minor rule pack refactors.
Fix: Waterwheels don't rotate the right direction.
Integrate backstory translations using the same fuzzy-match logic used for loading.
Improved tribal name generators. Removed various duplicate rules in favor of probability markers.
More naming content for trade ships.
More content for world name generator.
Update string replacement symbols for Tynan easter egg backstory.
More random naming content for pirate factions.
Fix: Some world text still clips with the planet.
Adjust mortar description to explain its inaccuracy.
Exclude wav and png files from VSCode.
Name generation tests now inject the name "Smithee" for ANYPAWN. This is so that rules which require a pawn name (e.g. art titles relating to a Tale about a pawn) get tested as well.
A bit more content for weapon art namer.
Refactor some naming data into global to reduce duplication.
Added more variations to art name generation, and restructured for greater re-use between art types.
Syllables are now global for text generation and renamed to SylE (English) and SylG (Galician).
More content for artwork naming.
Rename some RulePack XML files.
Fix: Art namers don't appear on namer test rulepack list (since their names didn't start with Namer). Renamed them to NamerArtXXX. Fix: Some bracket mistakes from last commit.
Reorganized and renamed various art generation text symbols. Removed a bunch of redundant references (re-defining things already defined in global utility def).
Increase deep counts per cell somewhat (this is balanced because we now have drill-caused infestations)
Credits update (testers)
Delete two meta files that Unity keeps deleting.
Display "(various) x5" instead of just "(various)" when various things are selected.
Grayscale-out disabled Commands.
Fix 3436: Exception while saving Maneuver_Smash_MeleeHit
Fix 3441: Gray turns into __Gray__ when drafted. (Underline on entire textbox rather than name) (maybe)
Fix another smattering of old text-replacement tokens.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

NagashUD

It could be nice to have a 4x speed without dev mode (or mods) !! ;)

Kirby23590

Quote from: Tynan on June 20, 2018, 07:11:54 AM
Thanks for the ongoing feedback! This is very useful.

Hey! We are the happy and loyal community of the rims! ;D

It's nice to see that every feedback & criticism we give will help improve the game into release!

Looking forward to the release day! While i continue playing B18 and racing to the journey ending! ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

SetArk

Hail!
One day, will be added a function similar to the Tech Advancing mod?
Or is ist already in B18/1.0 ?

gillsminnow

Unless I'm missing something, when crafting clothing, when you check "pause when satisfied" there is no option to put in a number for that section as there is with other worktables.

https://i.gyazo.com/b9073ccd7f4be8374e13693c4917c6d4.png

PatrykSzczescie

Uhm... Tynan? I know that these colors of outlanders and tribals are different and it's visible if you blend one color on another and take a magnifying glass but can you make us easier to distinguish such colors with the naked eye?