Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Teleblaster18 on June 21, 2018, 06:32:18 AM
-The grouping together of all 10 Area zones, instead of 5 for Pawns, 5 for Animals; having 10 options visible on the screen at once makes it far more difficult to quickly identify the zones and select them, since the zone names become truncated and unreadable.  It also increases the chances of making an error in choosing a zone, since they're much smaller to click on. Slide selecting vertically down the column is much harder to do accurately (like when you'd select all animals to a "Barn" zone during a raid).

I'd like to see something kind of like Fluffy's Work Tab, with side-turned column texts, that you can select the area en-masse; Single click to send every pawn to one area.

-Two toggle buttons which seperate room stats from "beauty" graphic indicators, instead of one button that includes both stats; it's a bit unwieldy, and I enjoyed having all stats on one toggle.

Just a vote in the opposite direction. Really glad it came back to two buttons, as I often just leave the room-stat button on, but the beauty stat toggle is largely situational.

Play Story
New campaign today, and man Recreation is really rough! My colony has been on the edge of losing it (and has lost it, many times) because of recreation demand, and they tend to almost exclusively choose the horseshoe pin over other types of recreation, even when dexterity-based recreation resistance is nearly maxed out. I know I need more forms of recreation, but I'm barely getting the basics up still, having just got beds and bedrooms for everyone, and researched batteries so that my wind power's sporadic input doesn't let my food rot;
The research requirements for some things we used to have off the get-go definitely make the early game more difficult than it was, though I think this is a good thing; Research always seemed like a luxury, something I started once the colony was established; Now it seems like an absolute must, just to get things really rolling along. As a crash-landed, I have to balance hunting against food usage almost the same way I had to as a tribal start, until I can finally get steady electricity; If I'd started near a river that'd probably be less of a factor, but my starts so far have been mostly desert; This time at least I have a few small patches of fertile soil and endless summer; Though the heat waves have been nigh murderous.

PatrykSzczescie

Quote from: Madman666 on June 21, 2018, 07:04:34 AM
Increased rate at which those damned family members show up in raids is actually a really bad thing i kinda wish it was toned down back to B18 level. With game's usual death\down check for me it always ends up with atrocious mood debuffs "my great grand father's second cousin's brother died, he was such a wonderful person!" despite said person trying to eat his face off, followed by "I am gonna kill every last one of you!" because my mood is so low.

Family members of colonists (and prisoners maybe) ought to get no magical chance to die as others do. Family encounter is supposed to be an opportunity of something positive, instead of a curse many times worse than a psychic drone. Once I recruited a pawn whose 3 family members attacked within a quadrum and they all died. It was a terrifying debuff.

Flacwby

Not sure if this is intended, but all eggs produced now are fert. There are 0 unfert. eggs produced. As I recall from Beta versions there was a chance eggs would be fert. but not 100%.

Ser Kitteh

The Positives:

1. Colonists ALL go to the recroom and play poker, pool, chess together! It's so rewarding seeing all your pawns have fun! It makes me wish there were more joy items.

2. The quest rewards are JUST right. Still nonsensical (24 shirts for excellent Plate Armor you got it) mind, but seeing those Silver values makes you want to go out more often. The rewards are 100% worth it.

3. Armor is way better. Not great, I know it's still bring tweaked, but I actually rush armor and try to get good helmets on my doctors. Looking forward to improvements.

4. Have about 8 or so animals on the colony (boomalopes, alpacas, etc) and despite the panic, there doesn't to be too much of an issue in regards to obedience decay.

5. The +18 to saving a family member, super great touch. Lasts 30 days too!

6. Prosthetics are just perfect at 85%. Some of my pawns have scarred limbs and replacing it to get rid if it is actually quite a reasonable strategy. The healing serums from the quests help too, as is the debuff so that players don't Robocop their entire colony.

Not So Positives:

1. Doctors still choose to relax at the table instead of hauling ass and patching up wounds. I think this is very much because the schedule is set to Joy. I think the Doctoring priority should ignore schedule, and players should wake up their doctors if napping as it is.

2. The incapitated refugee should at the bare minimum, tell the player the danger they're in. You can even be vague and not precisely tell the kind of threats. Stuff like "armed men" or "dangerous predator" should be enough of a hint. Maybe a rough number on the amount of hostiles? Don't want to send 3 dudes but found out I'm stumbling to a raider outpost.

3. The rescued should get a buff of sorts, like the happy family member.

4. In regards to saving a refugee, most of the time they are incapitated and thanks to the fact that the quests are closer, don't have time to heal. Queee the caravan arriving victorious except they plop the poor sucker down whey the enter and the player needs to manually rescue them. Hillarious sure, but confusing to a new player.

5. Low Expectations is a buff given to colonists when travelling. This is good but insufficient, as my colonists arriving at the site are totally bored out of their skull. Joy should freeze or have a new Wanderlust moodlet.

6. Lack of a greathelm/bascinet/armet saddens me. Also we need repeaters. We totally need it. Because reasons.

TheMeInTeam

I've notice a few things break the early goings for naked brutality:

Food poisoning: right now this is overtuned.  You run a good chance of instant game over on RNG via being attacked while down unless you roll for a good cook w/o exception. 

Early disease: you can apparently contract malaria or such within the first month of play.  Again, this is instant game over on RNG unless your medical stat is ridiculous, and maybe even then since it will impact tend quality.  Grace period might be useful on this.

Game would still greatly benefit from predator hunt alert too.  It's still very asymmetric to have a random timber wolf that wandered into the map a few days ago be a larger threat than an AI sapper raid on extreme difficulty just because you didn't notice it on the wildlife tab list in time.

Revshawn

I'll tell you one thing. Playing this game from Naked Survivor going upwards has given me a deep appreciation for the Greatbow volley. There is something quite special about everyone loosing their arrow at the same time, the enemy being overcome by a hail of death, the grim reaper given physical form.

PatrykSzczescie

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on June 21, 2018, 10:48:21 AM
I've notice a few things break the early goings for naked brutality:

Food poisoning: right now this is overtuned.  You run a good chance of instant game over on RNG via being attacked while down unless you roll for a good cook w/o exception. 

Early disease: you can apparently contract malaria or such within the first month of play.  Again, this is instant game over on RNG unless your medical stat is ridiculous, and maybe even then since it will impact tend quality.  Grace period might be useful on this.

Game would still greatly benefit from predator hunt alert too.  It's still very asymmetric to have a random timber wolf that wandered into the map a few days ago be a larger threat than an AI sapper raid on extreme difficulty just because you didn't notice it on the wildlife tab list in time.

I can feel your pain, I've already lost a game within a few days. But on the other hand, you shouldn't expect devs to make it easier for this game mode. As it's described, this is supposed to be directed for hardcore players.

Food poisoning? You gotta secure yourself asap keeping in mind that a raid may occur while you're resting.

Early disease? You simply settle into an area with the least disease frequency. Avoid swamps and forests.

Predator attacking? Well, you gotta make sure there are other preys the predator would be interested in, especially when you're starting with no apparel. Then make a ranged weapon and fight kiting, using internal rooms.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Flacwby on June 21, 2018, 09:09:27 AM
Not sure if this is intended, but all eggs produced now are fert. There are 0 unfert. eggs produced. As I recall from Beta versions there was a chance eggs would be fert. but not 100%.

Any eggs that aren't chicken eggs have always been fert-only. This is nothing new.

Lanilor

I had some time to play the new version and here is my feedback. I didn't take the time to read everything above, so I hope there is nothing that is already reported a dozen times.

- Will there be a way to set 64 bit a default option on start so one doesn't have to extra click every time?

- I had multiple raids early where one of the enemy pawn had a full set of only excellent cloth. Not sure if that is a bug or it comes from a very high equipment value on generation and because (I think) attacking pawns can't spawn with better quality, it just results in a full excellent set.

- Why do smoothed stone walls give +2 beauty when even silver and gold walls give none? This is a way too big boost for mountain bases, also for no costs beside some work.

- I played extreme desert and starting without solar and batteries made it a lot harder. I like that, but playing on a river map kills all this challenge and makes it incredibly easier with the good constant power output of the watermill and no research needed for it. Sure the watermill should have an advantage to even build it, but I think this is too much for just a bunch of wood as costs. This results in a "if you play on a river, you don't need any other power source or batteries". An idea: Make the power generation not constant. Irl rivers (coming from mountains) have more water in spring/summer when snow melts and less in winter. I don't know if this will work in Rimworld, because a year is very long and nobody wants to build enough batteries to store power for half a year. But I like the idea of having a power source with longer with a longer cycle then just day/night  and maybe it would work when shifting between 600 and 1k power or the like.

Madman666

You can just make a 64bit shortcut on your desktop its not really a huge issue with one more click. Agreed about the walls. I think all walls, save for wooden ones, should have some beauty to them  Especially those from jade, silver and gold. That would be a nice touch. Or adding whole new type of walls that takes much more materials to build, but has some beauty, that gets influenced by material beauty stat

Flacwby

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on June 21, 2018, 12:09:33 PM
Quote from: Flacwby on June 21, 2018, 09:09:27 AM

Any eggs that aren't chicken eggs have always been fert-only. This is nothing new.

Sorry I was referring to chicken eggs. 100% of chicken eggs are now fert.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Lanilor on June 21, 2018, 12:43:16 PM- Will there be a way to set 64 bit a default option on start so one doesn't have to extra click every time?
What is the point in asking anyway? Why would anybody pick 32 bit on a 64 bit OS? Ask the OS how many bits it's using and pick the exe based on that. Add some option in properties for those rare cases where people aren't happy with the autodetected value.

Quote from: Madman666 on June 21, 2018, 12:50:06 PMYou can just make a 64bit shortcut on your desktop its not really a huge issue with one more click.
I clicked create shortcut and it starts the 32 bit version. Also anybody claiming the extra clicks at startup to be a minor issue clearly aren't making their own mods, which needs testing, adjustments, testing, etc, which results in frequent starting of the game.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Madman666

Quote from: Nightinggale on June 21, 2018, 01:37:51 PM
I clicked create shortcut and it starts the 32 bit version. Also anybody claiming the extra clicks at startup to be a minor issue clearly aren't making their own mods, which needs testing, adjustments, testing, etc, which results in frequent starting of the game.

You go to your Rimworld folder, find a file "RimWorldWin64.exe" and make a shortcut to that file. Then it starts 64bit version properly. I guarantee its a faster way of getting rid of your 2-extra-clicks problem than waiting for devs to fix it.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Madman666 on June 21, 2018, 01:51:47 PM
Quote from: Nightinggale on June 21, 2018, 01:37:51 PM

You go to your Rimworld folder, find a file "RimWorldWin64.exe" and make a shortcut to that file. Then it starts 64bit version properly. I guarantee its a faster way of getting rid of your 2-extra-clicks problem than waiting for devs to fix it.
You disable all steam features by starting the game from the exe instead of through steam, which is the very reason why the question was introduced to steam in the first place.

Starting the exe directly is ok right now when people playtest vanilla, but in say two months when the workshop is full of mods, it's no longer as fun to disable all mods downloaded through the workshop. This startup issue really should be fixed.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Madman666

I don't really care about Steam features, but if you do - then yeah, you will have to bear with two additional clicks before getting to play. As for mods - starting from executable files doesn't prevent you from playing with mods.