Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

There is a global bug with pawns ignoring prioritized tasks.  If you queue up anything with "prioritize", the pawn will abandon this and go back to its usual manual-ordered priority.  This is most commonly observable with pawns ignoring "rest until healed", but can be seen with any chain of queued priority tasks.  I can confirm they're not taking a break, they're directly switching away from priority tasks.

Animal AI is pretty buggy too, especially with caravans.  I had a dromedary in a canceled caravan keep careening towards the edge of the map, even ignoring eligible zones.  Even after I cancelled the caravan for absolutely everyone in the caravan, it kept ignoring zone and moved towards the edge.

This same animal died later in the run because, while awake, it ignored the fact that I zoned it into base/walls and stayed outside during a raid for 10 seconds.  Then, once they starting shooting at it the AI chose to "flee"...slightly towards the gunfire.

The tame decay thing might be controversial but the above seem pretty uncontroversially bugged to me.

LordDaimos

I love the changes in 1.0 so far but I've found a few weird things.

* If a doctor is preparing to add a prosthetic to a colonist you can't override that with another doctor. There is simply no "Tend to XX (reserved by YY)" available in the context menu.
* When opening a context menu with the right menu button on 3x speed the game starts lagging a lot. I think I saw this earlier in this thread as well but I couldn't find it now.
* Went for a "Incapacitated refugee" mission and found it amongst a few sleeping mechanoids. The colonist had braindamage so I simply repacked my caravan and noticed that I could select the refugee as a part of the caravan without having to bother the mechanoids. I haven't had any more "Incapacitaged refugee" missions after this so I haven't checked if this happens otherwise.
* Caravan animals stay in the spot they entered the map when returning home, not sure how this was handled earlier but they should really head for the caravan packing spot to be unloaded instead of the colonists crossing the map several times to do it.

Running version 1.0.1943 x64 (no mods)

ashaffee

Research is really off for flak to power armor progression. After getting flak accessed I noticed I can get to power armor faster than my crafter can make 1 or 2 sets of flak. 

Gfurst

Quote from: Aerial on June 24, 2018, 11:13:36 AM
Donning a parka now only seems to affect the low end of the comfortable temperature spectrum.  Is that intended?  If so, it seems odd.  My pawns were able to keep wearing parkas through a heatwave with no worse effects than those in t-shirts.
Clothing has always been a sort of a week spot for me, even well done parkas shouldn't act like some goddamn space suit capable of sustaining -40°C. Duster are my favorite, though they act like some sort of catchall as well. All in all though they seem to have been balanced a bit.

Quote from: ashaffee on June 24, 2018, 01:54:33 PM
Research is really off for flak to power armor progression. After getting flak accessed I noticed I can get to power armor faster than my crafter can make 1 or 2 sets of flak. 
Aren't you talking about plate armor? Power amor is way up the end of the tree.

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on June 24, 2018, 01:40:52 PM
There is a global bug with pawns ignoring prioritized tasks.  If you queue up anything with "prioritize", the pawn will abandon this and go back to its usual manual-ordered priority.  This is most commonly observable with pawns ignoring "rest until healed", but can be seen with any chain of queued priority tasks.  I can confirm they're not taking a break, they're directly switching away from priority tasks.
Are you sure, I do pretty frequent uses of queued actions and haven't had any problems with them, might be just the rest thing. Besides, if you want pawns to prioritize resting, why don't just tick it in the work tab priority?

Quote from: fritzgryphon on June 24, 2018, 11:53:46 AM
Double-clicking on a construction blueprint to multi-select them only selects exactly 80 of the blueprints, even if there are more.  Tried carpet and wall blueprints.
Might be a limitation, but you could just as well use forbid/unforbid tool.

Quote from: Alenerel on June 24, 2018, 09:50:48 AM
Quote from: NeverPire on June 24, 2018, 08:59:08 AM
I would like just to tell that boars are a little bit smarter than pigs, so I don't understand why they are moved to Intermediate and pigs stay in Advanced Intelligence.
Maybe to fix an exploit I didn't know.
I think is kinda obvious but Tynan is trying to balance the game for gameplay purposes, not for real life simulation. He nerfed boars cause they were better than pigs since they did more damage and provided same meat and leather and everything else, pigs were redundant. Now he balanced it so that pigs are better for hauling and boars are better for combat.
It makes a lot of sense though, pigs have been domesticated for generations while boars are wild pigs.

NiftyAxolotl

My Rough/Tropical animal testing run is bugged, so I've started a new run: Tribal on Temperate Forest (30/60 growing days) told by Cassandra Intense. I figured since animal swarms are still very strong in favorable conditions, I would see how they do in middling/unfavorable conditions.

So far I've gotten very lucky on both animal handlers and fertile soil. I have good stockpiles of pemmican, rice, and some hay and kibble, and I have a solid squad of 15 or so animals, with alpacas still forming the backbone. Both potentially threatening raids were dispatched with no significant injuries to colonists.

The first winter is just about to start, and there is toxic fallout that has already lasted for 4 days. My bonded warg is starving, and I'm torn between slaughtering my other animals to feed it, or just putting it to sleep. I think I'll crack open the ancient danger first and see what comes out.

EDIT: There were mechanoids. Three scythers and two centipedes. I was prepared to barge in and swarm, but I needed to lure them out and swarm. Everybody died.

fritzgryphon

Possible bug, alpacas don't unpack on caravan return, and still contain items that were sold during the caravan.

Sent caravan with alpacas to trade.  I sold/gifted all the cotton, devilstrand, etc to the destination settlement.

After returning to home settlement, I noticed that the alpaca's were still wearing their saddlebags.  In their gear tab, they still had all the items that I had just sold.  Plus, I'm pretty sure I also had the silver I had gotten from their sale.

The settlers returning from the caravan did not contain any cargo in their gear tab.  I'm pretty sure I heard the silver-drop sound effect when they returned, so I think they did empty their pockets.

The caravan -may- have returned at night, not sure.  Like in the change log, caravans will now move at night if they are close to their destination.

edit:  The alpaca's were also carrying the components that I had bought. 
edit2:  The chemfuel I sold was not in the alpaca's inventory when they returned, but the cotton and some of the devilstrand was.  I'll try to replicate this.

edit 3:  Couldn't replicate with a nearly identical caravan, must be crazy.  I do have this pic of an alpaca that wasn't unloaded on return.  This was on the night of the day after the caravan returned.

PatrykSzczescie

According to the information provided, raiders bandage themselves when they are wounded and hide behind cover. Yoshida Kenji's first raider was tending during the fight which looked glitchy, but the AI just assumed that they are hiding behind a cover which is usually focused against a certain enemy pawn.

Zoolder

Quote from: Madman666 on June 23, 2018, 11:04:25 PM
1531 hour played in RW... yeah. If I am still a noob after that, maybe i should just retire.

That was a misquote, my b. But yes, I was talking about you. The situation you explained was blatantly impossible unless your wealth is whack. Not trying to rude, but please don't make up scenarios like that in an attempt to get something nerfed. I was just saying that situation you explained would never occur in the real game, even in 1.0 every engagement feels "fair" especially when you factor in AI.

And time logged is irrelevant based on what you said, so if someone with very few hours can survive fine on expert but you, with over 1500 can't, it's a you problem, not the game

Edit: I know the "man up and fight" advice was bad, my point is the situation you explained is impossible and even without a killbox you can handle pretty much any fight that game throws at you with minimal injuries just by being smart with pawn placement.

Madman666

Quote from: Zoolder on June 24, 2018, 04:28:07 PM
That was a misquote, my b. But yes, I was talking about you. The situation you explained was blatantly impossible unless your wealth is whack. Not trying to rude, but please don't make up scenarios like that in an attempt to get something nerfed. I was just saying that situation you explained would never occur in the real game, even in 1.0 every engagement feels "fair" especially when you factor in AI.

And time logged is irrelevant based on what you said, so if someone with very few hours can survive fine on expert but you, with over 1500 can't, it's a you problem, not the game

Edit: I know the "man up and fight" advice was bad, my point is the situation you explained is impossible and even without a killbox you can handle pretty much any fight that game throws at you with minimal injuries just by being smart with pawn placement.

Impossible, eh? If i feel that something is unbalanced, overpowered or otherwise feels off - i'll suggest changing it. I make such statements after playing, based on my experience, not thinking up some horror stories just to get what i want. So, If you like some changes and don't want to see them reverted - voice your opinion, say it feels right and you welcome it. Don't go assuming things on your own, as i didn't happen to notice you watch me playing to make such assumptions. Unless you worked on this game as a dev and can be sure before claiming something is impossible.

I won't even start about every single fight being beatable with zero casualties without killbox or some other cheap AI exploiting tricks, like pop-in-out or trapped hallways. If you think that way - i doubt we have something else to discuss. To each their own.

Trallhatt

If you mine though a smoothed wall, your character will directly try to repair it.
I tried removing my character from Construction but another directly ran up instead to repair the wall and the dedicated miner went to do something else, lol.

flightgamer

Been playing the unstable version and Rimworld as a whole for quite some time. A couple of humble thoughts and wishlist items.
Just for context purposes, I am a 50yo casual gamer who primarily uses my mouse (never got into hotkeys and can't hope to have the game knowledge I am seeing elsewhere in this post so forgive me if these are previously addressed suggestions. I tried to read thru many of the other posts first.

- Many times when an AI message pops up and gives me the option to click "OK" or "Jump to Location", I will instinctively click OK both because I am agreeing that I want to do something about it and because I am used to the bottom choice being the dismiss/close option in such windows. It would make more sense to me if the top option was "Jump to Location" and the bottom was "Dismiss". It is annoying to hit Ok and then realize you don't know where to look for the event on the map or the message text that has now gone away.

- Liked the old, distinctive look of silver. New large silver pile looks like an extracted molar to me.

- This comment refers to the 6 tabs (character, health, gear, etc for each character). Since I primarily use my mouse, it would be great if each of these tabs had the character name shown on top like the "character" tab does already and there were forward/back arrows on either side of the pawn name so that I could easily browse thru the stats for each character without either having to remember a hotkey or look and click on each character profile at the top of the page and then have to look back down to see the new stats. It would also work if when your mouse pointer was inside one of these tabs if the scroll wheel went thru all your characters.

- I will click on a research item to review it, double-click and assume it is selected because it is lit up and the research button I need to press isn't even in my field of view and then I exit only to lose valuable research time before figuring out what I did wrong.

- I can see food poisoning making a colonist bed-ridden but having two separate pawns collapse in the field far from home on separate occasions? Please no. 

- When I tried to tell my researcher to research I received a "research is a long-term item" message which I didn't understand for some time until I realized that it just couldn't be forced but would still happen. If text could be a bit clearer on this. Maybe something like "Research will occur automatically once selected and a pawn is assigned under the work tab; however, it cannot be forced".

- During combat, I really want to start using the stats where you highlight your shooter and then mouse over the enemy. However, it is not clear if I am looking at the chance of hitting him or me from him. Is that his cover stat or mine from his position? Confusing text for me.

- If you can create two separate but adjacent growing zones without having them join up automatically for the life of me I don't know how.

- In the work tab wasn't it previously possible to decide who should negotiate for you? A social column maybe? Am I just missing something now?

- When I want to create a new area and go to the associated screen, I click on "new area". Unless I remembered to look at the list first and take mental roll call I have no idea what was created. For example if the list already had an Area 1, did I just create Area 2 or a new Area 1 and make Area 1 into Area 2. Highlighting the new area maybe with a bit of a flashing would clear up which one is brand new for renaming, for instance.

This is now, by far, my favorite game and topping my RCT or Alpha Centauri playing time is no small feat. thx!!!

Serina

Quote from: flightgamer on June 24, 2018, 05:43:45 PM

- Many times when an AI message pops up and gives me the option to click "OK" or "Jump to Location", I will instinctively click OK both because I am agreeing that I want to do something about it and because I am used to the bottom choice being the dismiss/close option in such windows. It would make more sense to me if the top option was "Jump to Location" and the bottom was "Dismiss". It is annoying to hit Ok and then realize you don't know where to look for the event on the map or the message text that has now gone away.

You can now click on the History tab then Messages. From there you can view old letters and messages that you might have missed in greater detail. ^.^

Golden

Quote from: flightgamer on June 24, 2018, 05:43:45 PM
- If you can create two separate but adjacent growing zones without having them join up automatically for the life of me I don't know how.

The merging of zones only happens if the first one has been selected, is "glowing" or lighted.  Then the game assumes you are extending that active zone.  There is also a new button choice when a specific zone is chosen, to deliberately extend that zone, growing or area or storage, etc.

If you deselect a zone (for example, by clicking elsewhere on the screen), or close the growing zone placer and then reactivate it, you can place two or more zones next to each other.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Golden on June 24, 2018, 06:56:48 PM
The merging of zones only happens if the first one has been selected, is "glowing" or lighted.

That's not exactly true. If you start a new grow zone and have it overlap an existing one before you've properly created the new zone, it'll assume you're extending more often than not.

My strategy is to start a new zone that doesn't touch the existing zone, then expand it to the edge of the existing zone. I do the same thing when I create smaller stockpiles touching larger, like if I want to put a certain type of resource in a specific location, like human meat in my freezer; I did this when I had a warg so it could go to that spot, but not take everything else in the freezer. Worked well.

Serina

Anyone else experience a hoard of events such as this? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1421683077
I'm playing on latest unstable version, CC Rough NB. My events have seemed pretty normal, usually 2-3 events on a given day, until around the 14th of Decembary.

Here's a shot of the graph on my current save: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1421687294
Currently at 13k wealth. I was around the same wealth on another save, around the same time in game as well but never got this many events on that save.

On a side note: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1421683153
At first I thought she was male with a name like Mike and that hairstyle. I check the character tab and her full name is Michael "Mike" Hunt. lol.