Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DariusWolfe

A few impressions with the new campaign:

- Bug? Cannot smooth corners which makes it problematic to run wires around corners. Also, the mining/repairing bug is definitely still going on. I have to micromanage mining a smoothed wall to keep them from repairing it.

- The mortars on rescue missions threw me; I accidentally let the game run for a few moments before switching over to the conflict map, and when I got there, there was a fire right next to my pawns and puddles of chemfuel; Luckily no one was hurt, because that would have been a bad way to start the rescue.

- pathing AI is still weird; Lost two hives (of 4) when caravans decided to path right through them when leaving the map.

- With the increase in missions/requests, I'd really like to be able to see a list of active quests, and have a way to deny them; Sometimes I get requests I can't fulfill or don't want to, and it'd be nice to just get those out of the way.

Greep

These 100% to the death sapper raids are just absolutely insane.  I guess I can't argue since nobody died, but 8 poorly armed dudes and a few turrets vs 20 raiders who fight to the last man is just absolutely horrifying.  Pretty much everyone bleeding out and getting infected, all the crops burned down  :'(
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

PleaseBro

Hey man, great game.

1 tiny request for 1.0 that would greatly improve my enjoyment of the game.

Could you make it possible through Scenario editor to start at default tech but with less research researched. So like you could have the regular research costs but less research then the normal new arrivals. Currently you can set your faction to tribal and give yourself all the techs in the game using scenario editor but not the other way around which seems not backwards if you get what I'm saying.

Anyways I've been enjoying the new updates a lot.

almostmatt1

Hello Tynan, been loving RimWorld for nearly 800 hours of play time and am enjoying 1.0 so far. Thought I'd jump on this forum to report a bug I hadn't noticed in previous versions.

Two tribals, Crane & Senra, broke up. Crane broke it off. Senras social tab says "Crane asked Crane for a break", but Cranes social tab says "Crane asked Senra for a break". Their other interactions seem to be accurate. I'll try to attach pictures.

https://i.imgur.com/UqXxsO1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fH1bWnj.jpg

Alenerel

Quote from: dnmr on June 28, 2018, 05:51:22 PM
they weren't full on anything

Last patch introduced behavior where if a pawn is at 50% of recreation and he has tolerance for existing recreation things, he wont try to endlessly recreate using them. Read it, its in the patch notes.

Injured Muffalo

Quote from: Syrchalis on June 28, 2018, 08:18:34 AM
    • Disliking the "..." a lot,

• Things deteriorating while outside but roofed feels weird. I always liked that there was a clear use for making open, roofed structures with pillars. Now the stockpile will just be another room.

Thanks for that. I am concerned people don't realize I was talking about that. I'm glad I am not the only one.

I also have some misgivings about the storage. It makes sense, but I was enjoying using open caves for storage and now it is less viable. Of course, I also used an open roofed area with just a few pillars for storage. At times it cost me, when the pillars were shot out and stuff was crushed, but I excercised the option of building that way.
    A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Boboid

Attached Bionics/Wealth

So during my transhumanist playthrough I realized something that I frankly should've noticed in previous versions where I've used mods to craft bionics - Bionics don't increase the market value of the pawn they're attached to. The wealth appears to just evaporate.

In fact.. if you use the vast majority of your resources to acquire and attach bionics you can sink a huge amount of wealth into pawn power without seeing a difficulty increase.

Now of course pawns doing things more quickly due to bionic parts does skill them up faster which does increase their value.. but not enough to offset dropping 2800 wealth from attaching an archotech leg.

Long Range Mineral Scanner (LRMS from now on)

In regards to the discussion about the LRMS ( Which basically amounts to " It's too dangerous to do when compared to deep drilling ") I can't say I agree with people that it's pointless or that steel/plasteel would always be preferable.

The precious metals obtained are worth an absolute crapload when sold and you can ask for a trade caravan from an ally every 4 days. They can be made allies by simply gifting them the aforementioned metals to begin with.

If given the choice between a LRMS deposit that contained steel or contained gold I'd always pick the gold because both sites are going to contain just as much volume.
    The gold($10.0) however is worth 5x more than the steel($1.9). Even when accounting for buying/selling modifiers you're still much better off with the gold.
    And all of that is before you account for turning it into something worth more than the sum of its raw parts, eg: Art.

Don't get me wrong - There's still intrinsic risk to seeking out LRMS deposits and for some colonies the risk might not be worth the reward. However I think a lot of people aren't even considering using allied trade.
    ---
    Frankly my only complaint is that when you do go to an LRMS deposit that has a threat at it (Sleeping mechanoids, enemy outpost ect) with a small party or even an individual with pack animals is that you can't leave the site without it disappearing.
    Often I'll send 1-2 people and some pack animals after LRMS deposits to minimize visibility and the manpower drain to my colony only to be disappointed when I arrive.
    Not because the threat is unmanageable or because I wouldn't consider fighting them to get to the resources.. but because my only option if I want to do that is to literally camp out on the edge of the site until backup arrives. Sometimes that's immediately viable (No threats at home, drop pods ready ect) More often than not however it's not.

An option to leave the site but not have it disappear the moment that none of your colonists are there would be nice.

Sending Caravans to friendly towns

Now that you can request caravans from factions fairly cheaply I find myself struggling to justify sending out trade caravans to settlements even though they've always got a significantly better stock. Mostly because I have absolutely no idea what they will have in stock until I arrive.

Many things (Archotech, insanity lances, pain stoppers, luciferium, neurotrainers ect) are well worth the trip to a nearby settlement to acquire .. but with no idea as to what they will have until I arrive that  risk/reward decision becomes increasingly hard to justify.
    In most cases I'd happily pay to learn what they have in stock ahead of time.
    Given that you can already communicate with factions via the comms console to request caravans it doesn't seem unreasonable to be able to call up your neighboring settlements and ask them if they've got any milk. Or rocket launchers. Or Human leather.. for.. reasons...
    A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Dargaron

So, I haven't managed to put together another report on the status of Darg's Dregs, but I notice that Plate Armor doesn't seem to have an unfinished state: my crafter just takes 210 steel to the Smithy and starts crafting, but the steel never turns into Unfinished Plate Armor. This means that if she stops work on the armor, I lose all progress.

Greep

I'm actually kinda of confused how to even get allies.  Sending my own trade caravans is increasing relations at a snails pace, and hostile/savage keep reducing relations once you get them to neutral :/
    1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
    https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
    https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
    HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
    https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Madman666

I guess i can see why you would prefer gold over steel in some cases, but don't forget that not only you will have to sell it with horrible markup, you'll also have to get lucky for trade caravans you summoned to actually have steel for you to buy. And if they don't - you're stuck with a pile of wealth you don't need luring some more raiders. While getting steel is just straightforward - you mine it, bring it back, build stuff making your life easier.

Not to mention that having plasteel\uranium will be preferable just anytime, since those rare and extremely expensive materials.

KyCygni

Hey there, since I've been playing 1.0 beta with no mods I decided to get rid of most of my tendencies with selecting colonists or types of stability - whatever works just to look for new content. This led me to use a Nightowl for the first time in a very long while, since that was the short list of "extremely unfun traits that you play with once and randomize/remove forever afterward".

Sorry if this is kinda irrelevant to the 1.0 stuff, but it really irks me that "nightowl" is just a fancy phrase for "permanent mood debuff". If you keep them awake during their day rest period, they get a -10 (reasonable). But if you flipflop their rest schedule and have them work at night, they get a "darkness" debuff which is -5. What gives? Aren't they nightowls for crying out loud? Shouldn't the darkness debuff just not apply to them? If you want someone to have a trait that says "this person is permanently unhappy and always gets -5", that's fine (and it's actually a thing), but disguising the same trait with "nightowl" text as if you can do something about it is just very unsatisfying.

Boboid

Quote from: Madman666 on June 28, 2018, 09:24:20 PM
    I guess i can see why you would prefer gold over steel in some cases, but don't forget that not only you will have to sell it with horrible markup, you'll also have to get lucky for trade caravans you summoned to actually have steel for you to buy. And if they don't - you're stuck with a pile of wealth you don't need luring some more raiders. While getting steel is just straightforward - you mine it, bring it back, build stuff making your life easier.

In regards to the markup: You're paying 150% to buy the steel ($2.85) and selling the gold at 50% ($5).  (165% markup on Extra Hard, 180% for Extreme | Selling at ~45% on Extra Hard, %40 on Extreme)
    Additionally you can request Bulk Goods traders from Outlander factions which insofar as I can tell always have steel.

Also it's worth noting that this is before the negotiator bonus that scales with social skill. Prices improve considerably as your negotiator becomes more competent.
    And as said earlier.. this is all before turning the materials in question into more efficient items to sell, art has a 110% sell multiplier on it so even a Normal quality gold sculpture is increasing the value of the gold considerably.
    Not to mention that having plasteel\uranium will be preferable just anytime, since those rare and etremely expensive materials.

For the record Uranium is on the list of things that the LRMS can find. Plasteel and Steel are the only materials it will not find.

Plasteel certainly is very expensive and the cost comparison between gold and plasteel is less impressive. It doesn't change the fact that you can fairly trivially and at low cost turn anything the LRMS finds into whatever materials you would prefer to have.
    A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Madman666

- I do know about both negotiator bonus and also about markup scaling with difficulty. I always play on extreme more or less, so for me its kind of bad. I'd rather get steel, than a bunch stuff i'll have to trade for it. Of course, if you have negotiator of lvl 20 then losses aren't quite as high but still. But I rarely ever have a pawn of such skill, unless i have some mod activity, that raises it on a regular basis (i do know you can raise it by keeping a bunch of prisoners and chatting with them endlessly, but prison breaks are a pain).
    - Summoned bulk goods traders often have like... 200-300 steel. Thats literally nothing. Its 1-1.5 autocannon barrel replacement. So you either need to get a lucky orbital trader with it, or just slowly summon bulk goods caravans, getting 200-300 steel each 4 days paying for caravan summons. Meh.
    - You can of course gamble with gold item crafting\art, but honestly - it can go bad both ways, either you get an extremely good one, with crazy price, that no trader can afford ever and also causing raids to explode in numbers, or you can get a crappy one just flushing your profits down the toilet.
    - I didn't know it can find uranium, it never did for me. But if it can - thats cool, good to know. Thanks.

In conclusion - i just don't like depending on trade. I don't see it quite as efficient a way to turn one material into other as you do. Its way too random to get you what you need reliably and in a timely manner. As such i'd still prefer steel over gold\jade anytime in those LRMS deposits.

East

As I've said before, developers need to be aware that mechanized raids, especially drop attacks, occur too often in late games.

https://i.imgur.com/1JOANPP.png
    https://i.imgur.com/5ARbbq4.png
    https://i.imgur.com/D5q6o4T.png
    https://i.imgur.com/5XHK5Bk.png

These screenshots are described below.

quarter / day
    4 / 8     a group of mechanoids from a mechanoid hive have dropped in right on top of you!
    4 / 11   a group of mechanoids from a mechanoid hive have dropped in right on top of you!
    1 / 3    a group of mechanoids from a mechanoid hive have dropped in right on top of you!
    1 / 5    a group of mechanoids from a mechanoid hive have dropped in right on top of you!

It is problematic that four consecutive drop raids occur at narrow intervals that are difficult to recover.
    If it was not a drop attack but mechanoid, it was 5 consecutive.
    Is this just a bad luck result? Or is it a problem with point systems?

Ser Kitteh

@Boboid I'm not in the position to upload my save games sadly, I do however am thankful you're trying to suggest ways to fix my priority problems. Perhaps there is an elegant way to do it, and I've yet to master it. If wouldn't mind some tips in a seperate thread on how to manage my crafting problems.

On the centipede: I think centipede as it is atm IS fine, but centipede(s) are not. I'd rather fight two tough centipedes than five weaker ones. Part of the issue is that the only truly reliable way to defeat them is overwhelming dakka and EMP/macemen bashing. And while these are good methods that rewards players in setting up turrets and equipping good melee fighters, I think a third method should be slow single shot sniping.

(Also if we can get a good and proper warhammer/longaxe that'd be great too thx ty you the best)

I got myself a charge lance (masterwork) the third year in from a quest, I sent my best shooter to a centipede with it and it bounces off like 50% of the time. I got tired and just had 8 other pawns with ARs/charge rifles drown it in bullets. Considering that the bolt-action used to be a Lee-Enfeld and that rifle uses a .303, perhaps it should do higher damage? Even a small sniper squad should reliably able to take it down but the sniper rifle atm kinda sucks because it's way too slow and the range isn't worth it.

As for the lancers/scythers, I like them as they are! Good job on em'.

On pirate BASES (not outposts), you only get a single day to loot all the things. I would like for this time to be increased to maybe a few days so I can properly loot everything. Pirate bases are high risk and high rewards, it's a mighty shame it's hard to deconstruct all the things I want because it takes a while to do so especially if my pawns are really injured.

Speaking of caravaning, the attack button when trading with friendlies is waaaaay too close together for my liking and has been for a while. Could we have a "are you sure?" if we misclick on it?

I also agree with others needing to ally so much just to order caravans. Rather than decreasing them, maybe if we're neutral or know each other-ish, we can summon caravans via silver like in B18 and THEN ask them via relationship points? It'd also be nice if we can you just right click on the comms console, and rather than showing all available factions, it brings up the UI and THEN shows the factions. How many times have y'all right click on the pirate faction and then press escape and then you pawn is already off to do their other job? I'm not sure how much fleshed out the faction system could be, other than perhaps being able to pay off pirates to go away for a year and begging for friendlies to send over some weapons/medical supplies.